Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

2h41 to be precise, and yes it was a little bit long considering the "back and forth" plot. The length doesn't impair the overall good rating though.

Cool.  No I heard it's a rewlly good movie.  Waa gonna fire it up last night but then saw 161 minutes and it was already close to 9:00.  I was like "nope" lol.  I'll definitely check it out this weekened!

• Like 1

Moana - LOVED IT!  Great story and Dwayne can carry a tune. Disney delivers again.  Awesome music.  A+

Bad Santa 2 - meh.  Lots of funny parts but doesn't come close to the original.  Still funny.  Kathy Bates like youve never seen her before lol.  And after years of not seeing the big deal of Christina Hendricks, I now find her hot af.  C.

bleed for this - solid boxing movie about Vinny Pazienza who broke his neck and came back to fight again.  The chemistry between Teller & Eckhart on screen was great.  B+.  

Finding Dory - cute. Almost as good as the first one.  Loved Ed as the Octopus.  A.

• Like 2

My Beautiful Broken Brain- interesting film that follows a young woman days after having a massive stroke.  She was a huge David Lynch fan and attributed some of her success in therapy to him and his meditation techniques.  She got to meet Lynch at the end and he started tslking about something called "total brain coherence," which sent me down a rabbit hole of reading online and completely blew my mind.  Transcedental Meditation.  Fascinating.  B+

She compares some of her post-stroke "blackouts" to "The Red Room" from David Lynch's Twin Peaks.   she says she gets lost in an alternate dimension sometimes.  Difficult to watch sometimes but AMAZING listening to her describe the experiences she has.

"MY BEAUTIFUL BROKEN BRAIN is a profoundly personal voyage into the complexity, fragility and wonder of the human brain, after Lotje Sodderland miraculously survives a hemorrhagic stroke and finds herself starting again in an alien world, bereft of language and logic. This feature documentary takes us on a genre-twisting tale that is by turns excruciating and exquisite - from the devastating consequences of a first-time neurological experiment, through to the extraordinary revelations of her altered sensory perception."

30fb1ef93269d672faa22e8cb4aaf80b.jpg

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

MV5BMzUzNDM2NzM2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM3

A jazz pianist falls for an aspiring actress in Los Angeles

I'll preface this by saying I absolutely despise musicals(mom Disney cartoons anyway) Can't stand them at all. I think they are cheesy and dumb. The song and dances just take me out of the movie and I can't engage myself. But I figured I'd give this a chance because I love both Gosling and Stone. 

This movie was fantastic. I Completely loved it and honestly it didn't quite feel like a musical to me. There is huge traditional song and dance within the first 5 seconds that had me thinking "oh hell what have I done?" However, the story picks up and I forgot all about that but I did notice that each subsequent song was less and less of the typical "grease" style and felt shorter and more personal. They didn't take me out of the movie at all. It's worth noting that the movie itself focuses a lot on Jazz which felt very fresh. Gosling kills on the piano tho I'm not sure if he is the one actually playing or not. Either way, it's great. The actual songs from the movie are good and don't get in the way but aren't exactly memorable either. My favorite was definitely the Gosling/Stone combo when they are walking together to their cars after a party. It was fun to watch 

I think it tells a wonderful love story of two people trying to balance their love with the pursuit of their dreams. The final 10 minutes are just heartbreakingly beautiful. 

The movie is just extremely well made and highly entertaining. It's fun it's smart, it's sad it's funny. Speaking of funny, Ryan Gosling has great comedy chops. After seeing The Nice Guys and this, he is hilarious but he can really do anything and he shows that here yet again.you can't take your eyes off him or Emma Stone when they are on screen. Stone is the backbone of the movie and she's great in it. Really great. You feel every emotion with her. It's a ride. She lights up the screen when she's happy and being goofy and hits you right in the heart when she hits her downs. 

It's hard to believe Jules from Superbad and the scrawny LB that got benched for Petey in Remember the Titans have turned into such top level actors with dominating screen presence. This might be them at the peak of their talent and likability. In particular, their chemistry together almost jumps out of the screen and slaps you. 

One thing I loved about the movie is that it feels like like an old classic movie. It's hard to explain or put my finger on whubexactly it just has old soul almost like it's a love letter written to old Hollywood. I know the way it's filmed and some of its visual cues and the actual story itself are all very Hollywood and shows a deep respect for what came before it so maybe it's just as simple as that. Obviously based on the title, this is a very distinct Hollywood feel to it and it really engaged me as fan of cinema in general, the process, the art etc of it all. 

Highly recommend. I saw in theater which I think is the ideal way to see this movie. It's not profound or deep or anything like that but it's an extremely well made movie that is very entertaining. I was definitely skeptical going on but I think it deserve all the praise and nominations it has been receiving.  

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3

The XX.  All female horror anthology whose main claim to fame is having a segment directed by the great St. Vincent.  Reviews were good...maybe too good and inflated by a PC mentality.  Well cast but super low budget, and it shows.  Felt unfinished, really.  I can't recommend it.  C-

If you like these kind of anthologies, go with the vastly superior Southbound.  And here's some St. Vincent if ya didn't know...

• Like 3

Fist Fight was funny as hell to me. Charlie Day and Ice Cube both play their roles very well. Lots of funny scenes throughout to keep you laughing. All of the supporting cast nailed thier roles. Don't really remember 3 O'clock High, but this one was worth the laughs. I'll give it an "A".

The Great Wall was decent. I kinda expected it to suck, but I was entertained. Saw some critics saying Hollywood didn't need a white dude (Matt Damon) to save the day as always, but having an Asian actor in that role would mean his backstory would probably have to be rewritten. I enjoyed it. Kinda wished they wouldn't have showed the creatures in the trailers. Should have kept it a surprise. It's a decent flick, I'll give it a "C".

Edited by ksun247
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Truth, most part, I did too.  Dark and waiting for the foot to drop, just reminded me of Interstellar were it was going good then they didn't know how to end it.

Actually the ending is perfect.  Think of it in allegorical terms.  Here's a good critique.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-life-lessons-of-spring-breakers

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Actually the ending is perfect.  Think of it in allegorical terms.  Here's a good critique.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-life-lessons-of-spring-breakers

I hear what you're saying and read the article.  I was caught off guard how conveniently they were able to keep everyone armed in front of them, with targets popping out like mindless James Bond villain props and made it all the way into the house without anyone coming on their 6. The way Franco went out kinda made sense considering they were trying to keep it realistic, but even if they treat it like a video game, life ain't no video game.

• Like 1

Image result for repulsion pics

I usually watch a lot of classics in February/March because of the lull before summer movie season gets cranked up.  Tonight I got a chance to see Repulsion (1965), the early Roman Polanski flick.  Most people are familiar with his later work like Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby, or his much later acclaimed work, The Pianist.  All of which are on my list of personal favorites.  

This is a much simpler, more frugal film, but with the same eye for detail and composition.  It follows a young lady (the striking Catherine Deneuve) as she loses her mind in her sister's London apartment.  Subtle at first, it quickly spirals into total madness.

I'd hesitate to recommend this for people who don't like classics (or horror movies for that matter), but it's a must for any true cinephile.  There's no other film quite like it.  Polanski is a true master. 4/4.

• Like 2

I just finished suffering through Alexander the ultimate cut on Netflix.  It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  I don't know why I stuck with it, I guess I was hoping it would have some historical value.  I need to vent now: Oliver Stone is the most overrated director in the history of Hollywood and I can't believe he's taken seriously.  All of his movies are garbage and Platoon is a ****ing joke and Room With a View and the Mission are ten times better films and one of them should have won Best Picture that year.

• Like 2

Sully - Tom Hanks is so good.  Good movie, don't know why I waited so long to watch it.  Seeing the way all the first responders, ferry operators, passengers, and crew came together in minutes to help....it was beautiful to watch.   Proud as hell to be an American right now lol.   B+.

Edited by Chew

7 hours ago, youngchew said:

Sully - Tom Hanks is so good.  Good movie, don't know why I waited so long to watch it.  Seeing the way all the first responders, ferry operators, passengers, and crew came together in minutes to help....it was beautiful to watch.   Proud as hell to be an American right now lol.   B+.

i felt the movie was too boring.  Focused too much on the other crap. 

• Like 1

Collateral Beauty - what a mess.  Another stinker for Will.  Ed Norton tried so hard to make this movie mean something but it didn't work.  D.

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Just watched the New Edition biopic. Hmm...it was pretty darn good. Solid B. 

Every scene with Bobby Brown was painful to watch.  It's unreal how much of an asshole he was/is.  Grade A dbag.

• Like 3