Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What's coming out that looks good to you?

How much time you got?  LOL.  I'm thinking there will be plenty of "good" movies but I have really high hopes for:

Kong 

Guardians 2

Aliens: Covenant (I know, fingers crossed)

Wick 2

Lego Batman

Planet of the Apes

Dark Tower (I hope this is the movie that finally makes Elba an A-lister)

Despicable Me 3

Cure for Wellness

Trainspotting 2

Get Out

WWZ 2

Rock That Body

King Arthur

Flatliners

Coldest City

Split

American made

Patient Zero

Murder Orient Express

The Shack

Dunkirk

Fast 8 (sue me)

Pirates (fingers crossed, Bardem should come through)

Episode 8 

Bladerunner

and I know I'm forgetting about a lot

Supposed to be some good indie films too but I haven't looked through em yet

• Like 1

Dangal Poster.jpg

I saw this movie Dangal (2016) last night.  It is entirely in Hindi but has English subtitles.  Fantastic movie based on a true story about an Indian national wrestling champion who trained his daughters to be wrestlers.  Very much worth seeing (especially if you ever wrestled).

Edited by Ron78
  • Like 2

My bad, posted that list in the wrong thread, should've been upcoming movie joints.

American Honey - indie Shia LeBlowme joint.  I thought it was really good.  Movie about a group of teens and 20-somethings that travel in a van all over the country selling magazines.  Shia delivered and newcomer Sasha Lane stole the show.  Very talented young actress.   At 163 minutes, this movie didn't feel that long as the story moved along nicely.  I really liked this joint.  A-.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, youngchew said:

How much time you got?  LOL.  I'm thinking there will be plenty of "good" movies but I have really high hopes for:

Aliens: Covenant (I know, fingers crossed)

It's going to be a great one (see the latests news in its thread) :)

• Like 1

Captain Fantastic - weird one here, and arguably the best performance by Viggo the Torturer since Eastern Promises.  He and his wife are Trotskyists and they live way in the wilderness Washington.  Literally in huts in the woods.  Can't really speak to much else because spoilers.  I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I was going to.  George MacKay  (youngest son) really shined in this one.  Quite a few shots of Viggo's penis, but its all good.  B+.

Watched Moonlight again.  Damn, what a great flick.  If it doesn't get nominated for Best Picture, it'll be a sad day for Hollywood.  

Edited by Chew

On 1/10/2017 at 10:52 PM, youngchew said:

American Honey - indie Shia LeBlowme joint.  I thought it was really good.  Movie about a group of teens and 20-somethings that travel in a van all over the country selling magazines.  Shia delivered and newcomer Sasha Lane stole the show.  Very talented young actress.   At 163 minutes, this movie didn't feel that long as the story moved along nicely.  I really liked this joint.  A-.

Saw this today as well.  Totally agree with your review, but I felt it ran a bit long.  My dvd store owner recommended it.  It felt kinda like a film that celebrated the American Dream and loathed it at the same time.  Great indie piece.

Checking out this joint tomorrow.  I know you like Korean flicks.  This has a 99% on RT.  Hear it's amazing.  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 1:22 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Blair Witch was...not very good.  Basically, a remake of the first film but cast and shot in such a way as to remove any of the realism and DIY charm of the original.  I can't recommend it.

So the remake of a horrible movie is even worse.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Fantastic Beasts - I loved it!  Of course, I love anything with Eddie "what up" Mayne.  He's gotta be a top 10 character actor in the game right now, dude goes all in with his roles.  Katherine Waterson (hawt btw) was cool and Colin Farell's face was made to play a bad guy.  No spoilers, but it was neat to see the magic of the Harry Potter universe all take place in the real world, none of that soft ass Hogwarts bull****.  Wand wars out in them STREETS.  The little creatures in this movie were cute af :wub:.  A.

GOAT - Indie joint about frat hazing.  Pretty good movie overall.  I hate to say it, but Nick Jonas can act.  But Ben Schnetzer stole the show, I knew I remembered him from The Book Thief.  This was a pretty dark movie from beginning to end, carried by Schnetzer.  I'll never understand the brotherhood of a frat, but sometimes wish I could.  Looks like fun LOL.  B.

Madea Boo! Halloween - Tyler Perry's best days are far behind him.  He's always been a gump but he used to make decent movies in the early 2000s,  Now all he puts out is trash.  D+.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2017 at 11:42 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

There's another Fast and Furious movie coming out? Stop it, Vincent

They are 10 of those; so 2 more after this one.

Saw "Patriots Day". A good portrayal of the events of the Boston Marathon bombing. It was only 4 years ago.  I'll give it an A.

• Like 2

Wife and I rolled up and put one in the air for B-Rock.  :wub:

Barry - Netflix original movie.  Pretty good.  We meet a young Barack Obama as he arrives @ Columbia and NYC.  Barack smoked a ton of weed.  Like...a lot.  he is overwhelmed by life in the city and all the cultures that come with it.  Young dude from Hawaii had no idea about the real world and he's thrown into NYC @19.  He was kind of an asshole to those around him as he struggled to find himself. Movies about mixed race people struggling to fit in always tamper with my feelbox, may or may not have she'd a thug tear.  The young man who played Breezy was so good.  Captured the voice, mannerisms, and even played basketball lefthanded (actor is right handed apparently lol).  Had no idea Ana Taylor-Joy  (The Witch, Morgan, Split) was a costar in this one, she was great. B.

Southside With You - excellent movie. Nice follow up after Barry.  Not much to it really.  No spoiler but the entire movie is Barack and Michelle's first date.  It shows us how much Obama genuinely cared about the southside and how he put his heart and soul into the hood.  What a genuinely good person he was/is. Tika Sumpter is a really good actress and IMO shes talented enough to go mainstream, not just black movies and soap operas.   A.  

Edited by Chew

Bone Tomahawk - Dayum!  What an awesome movie.  I've seen many of my LMYS-G thread brothers mention this flick for over a year now.  Not sure why, but we just never got around to it.  What a great cast, I loved our "core four" in their roles.  Everybody delivered.  Good to see Matthew Fox get some work, he's been doing a lot of B stuff the last few years.  Kurt Russell was born to rock mutton chops, god he looks good in them.  Awesome story, action, acting, pacing, scenery.  I loved everything about it.  Strong A.

On 1/22/2017 at 2:54 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw "The Founder" about Ray Kroc and how he built McDoanlds and swindled it from the McDonald brothers.  Gets an A-.

Looking forward to seeing that one. 

Watched Mr. Church with my wife. 

One of the best movies of Eddie Murphy's career. 

The story is pretty good, some of it is predictable, some of it not so much. 

I give it a solid B+

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Watched Mr. Church with my wife. 

One of the best movies of Eddie Murphy's career. 

The story is pretty good, some of it is predictable, some of it not so much. 

I give it a solid B+

Agreed!  The story itself was okay but Britt Robertson is nice to look at and Eddie cur-ushed it.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 10:58 AM, youngchew said:

GOAT - Indie joint about frat hazing.  Pretty good movie overall.  I hate to say it, but Nick Jonas can act.  But Ben Schnetzer stole the show, I knew I remembered him from The Book Thief.  This was a pretty dark movie from beginning to end, carried by Schnetzer.  I'll never understand the brotherhood of a frat, but sometimes wish I could.  Looks like fun LOL.  B.

I haven't seen this yet, but am glad it finally got made.  It had been bounced around for years.  

I actually had the pleasure of hanging out with the author at a party several years ago.  If I remember correctly, he had been doing some substitute teaching to supplement his income while he was working on his next piece.  He had been let go from his teaching job.  I asked him why, and he produced a stack of loose leaf papers.  He said he gave the kids (I think it was 7th grade) a homework assignment over the weekend.  It was to go to the movies and see Pineapple Express and write a report on it.  The hand written reviews of the pothead movie from these kids were absolutely hysterical.  Anyway, I thought it was funny. :)

I saw Elle the other night.  Whew.  That was one fierce flick.  Paul Verhoven (Basic Instinct) brings the thunder in this sexual assault/revenge piece.  It follows the head of a video game company as she tries to hunt down the man who assaulted her.  

I had some problems with the third act.  Even though it went in a different direction, I'm not sure I ever truly bought into it.  It certainly sticks with you long after viewing.  Not sure how woman friendly the film is, it can feel pretty invasive.  My lady was not a big fan, just because of the nature of the violence.

But not enough can be said about the performance of the lead, Isabelle Huppert.  A powerhouse performance.  SImply awesome.  She scooped up the Golden Globe for Best Actress, and I expect her to do the same on Oscar night.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I haven't seen this yet, but am glad it finally got made.  It had been bounced around for years.  

I actually had the pleasure of hanging out with the author at a party several years ago.  If I remember correctly, he had been doing some substitute teaching to supplement his income while he was working on his next piece.  He had been let go from his teaching job.  I asked him why, and he produced a stack of loose leaf papers.  He said he gave the kids (I think it was 7th grade) a homework assignment over the weekend.  It was to go to the movies and see Pineapple Express and write a report on it.  The hand written reviews of the pothead movie from these kids were absolutely hysterical.  Anyway, I thought it was funny. :)

I saw Elle the other night.  Whew.  That was one fierce flick.  Paul Verhoven (Basic Instinct) brings the thunder in this sexual assault/revenge piece.  It follows the head of a video game company as she tries to hunt down the man who assaulted her.  

I had some problems with the third act.  Even though it went in a different direction, I'm not sure I ever truly bought into it.  It certainly sticks with you long after viewing.  Not sure how woman friendly the film is, it can feel pretty invasive.  My lady was not a big fan, just because of the nature of the violence.

But not enough can be said about the performance of the lead, Isabelle Huppert.  A powerhouse performance.  SImply awesome.  She scooped up the Golden Globe for Best Actress, and I expect her to do the same on Oscar night.   

dude...7th grader reports on Pineapple Express?!  I'd pay to read them :rofl89:

Wow, sounds good.  I looked through Huppert's IMDB, the only movie I've seen of hers is Amour, which was knock-your-socks-off amazing.   The wife will live, she's survived all my Korean thrillers, surely she can handle a weak ass French joint :P.  If I can find it, I'll watch it this week.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:16 PM, youngchew said:

Watched Moonlight again.  Damn, what a great flick.  If it doesn't get nominated for Best Picture, it'll be a sad day for Hollywood.  

That's what I thought, ****.  

Best picture:
“Arrival”
“Fences”
“Hacksaw Ridge”
“Hell or High Water”
“Hidden Figures”
“La La Land”
“Lion”
“Manchester by the Sea”
“Moonlight”

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I had zero interest in Split until I saw the positive reviews and read the twist.  That'll probably be my next one.

happy to see it's doing well too!  Many reviews have said this is M Knight's bounce back film, supposed to be pretty dang good.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, youngchew said:

If I can find it, I'll watch it this week.

Tread lightly, friend.  It's warped on a lot of levels. :cheers:

I haven't seen several of the Best Picture noms.  Gonna try to squeeze in a few more before they get pulled.  The only musical I ever liked was Singin' in the Rain, so I doubt I'll be seeing La La Land.  Of course it'll win everything, Hollywood loves musicals, especially a musical about Hollywood.  

I'm gonna checkout Silence this week, hopefully.  I'm not sure how many more pics Scorsese has in him, but I will make sure to see them all on the big screen.  Even though this one doesn't appear to be overly appealing.  

ETA:  Michael Shannon up for Nocturnal Animals.  My personal favorite out of that group.  But it's gonna be hard to beat Jeff Bridges and the kid from Manchester.  

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2

Tangerine - A transgender prostitute and her friend (also a transgender prostitute) walk the streets of West Hollywood on Christmas Eve, looking for her pimp that broke her heart.  This was an incredible film.  It's sitting at whopping 97% on Rotten, and it's full of no-name actors.  Won several independent awards.  Entire movie shot with an iPhone.  The performances by the two leads was off the charts.  I believe this movie was a comedy at heart, but damn was there a lot of sadness, isolation, and drama.  Wonderful movie, really captures the sleaziness of West Hollywood.  A.  

Edited by Chew