Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

The Autopsy of Jane Doe.  I'm a fan of horror and I was entertained, despite committing the sin of the false jump scare.  

The Wailing.  Weird Korean horror movie that never really tells you what exactly is going on.  Good. 

Train to Busan.  Ridiculously good Korean zombie movie.

• Like 1

The Woodsman.

This is an older film from 2004 that they just put on Netflix.  Kevin Bacon plays a pedophile who gets out of prison after 12 years and tries hard not to fall back into his old habits.  Bacon absolutely crushes this role, the best work of his career.  There are scenes here that are as compelling as any that you will find in any film.  Kudos to the filmmakers for this one.  Their restraint really elevated this material, which could've easily gone off the rails considering the subject matter.  

The supporting cast is strong.  Kyra Sedgwick acts opposite her long time husband, and Mos Def brings the thunder as a cop assigned to keep an eye on Bacon.  Michael Shannon makes an appearance as well.  Overall, an awesome flick.

• Like 2

Rogue One - Loved it, what a fun movie.  I don't have anything to add that the super fans haven't already covered in the RO thread.  Enjoyed all the easter eggs and the ending was magical, I teared up a bit LOL.  A-.

Deepwater Horizon - Damn!  Had no idea I would enjoy this film so much.  I mean, we all know what happened....and I was a bit skeptical about a 110 minute movie about an explosion.  But I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.  Wahlburg sure knows how to make "based on a true story" movies.  B+ (I was expecting to give it a C)

Birth of A Nation - Mother of god. :o  This movie was a falcon punch to the feelbox.  If people thought a few scenes in 12 Years A Slave were difficult to watch, then they needn't watch this.  It was horrendous.  Armie Hammer was great as the plantation owner (didn't even recognize him at first) and Nate Parker was strong as usual.  Colman Domingo (Strand from Fear the WD) also had a big role in this.  They left out a lot of the Nat Turner story, but Parker got his point across.  Our great nation has a really, really dark past. B+.

Frank & Lola - This is one of the fastest moving movies I've ever seen.  The first 5 minutes or so sets things up, and then Michael Shannon just takes of running.  This was his movie, Imogeen Poots, Justin Long, and Nyqvist were just props.  Shannon was great, he's one of my favorite actors over the last 5 years or so.  He makes the same faces in every role (LOL), yet his acting skills are top notch.  Imogeen Poots showed her boobs.   B.

When the Bough Breaks - Jesus ****ing Christ, this is one of the worst movies of 2016.  It hurts my feelings that so many black movies are terrible :( My wife loves Morris Chestnut's bald-headed sexy ass, so I watched it even though I knew it was getting a 6% (yes, six) on Rotten.  It was horrible.  F.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The Woodsman.

I liked this movie a lot.  I agree you could argue it was Bacon's best work.  Been a long time since I've seen it but I remember being moved by Kevin's performance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, youngchew said:

I liked this movie a lot.  I agree you could argue it was Bacon's best work.  Been a long time since I've seen it but I remember being moved by Kevin's performance.

One of my friends recommended it to me a long time ago, and my local dvd shop never had it.  Glad I finally got to check it out.  Mos Def was pretty amazing as well.  Strong stuff.  

Glad the movie year has ended on a high note.  Going to check out Nocturnal Animals and Manchester by the Sea this week.  I expect to like both, but not sure if they can top Moonlight.  That one left a mark. :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Glad the movie year has ended on a high note.  Going to check out Nocturnal Animals and Manchester by the Sea this week.  I expect to like both, but not sure if they can top Moonlight.  That one left a mark. :)

Moonlight.  Sheesh!  It has been nominated for over 40 awards so far!  Top 10 movie of 2016, you can book that.  I hope critics raise hell if Moonlight doesn't see at least one Oscar nom.  That movie suplexed my heart.  My man from Luke Cage was 

Manchester was really good too.  Feels like it's been a while since Michelle Williams has been in anything, but she smashed it.  Affleck did too but that's a given :) 

With two of Hollywood's hottest actors and the movie itself getting overall strong reviews, not sure why I'm not excited to see Nocturnal Animals.  I'm sure I'll like it a lot but we aren't going to see it in theaters. :( 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2016 at 5:29 PM, Destino said:

Train to Busan.  Ridiculously good Korean zombie movie.

Yes!!!  One of my favorite action movies this year.  If I had the power to order movie fans to do one thing, it would be to watch as many Korean thrillers as they possibly can.  Seoul destroys Hollywood when it comes to revenge thrillers and suspense mysteries.  I need more than two hands to count how many korean action movies I would give an A+ 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Yes!!!  One of my favorite action movies this year.  If I had the power to order movie fans to do one thing, it would be to watch as many Korean thrillers as they possibly can.  Seoul destroys Hollywood when it comes to revenge thrillers and suspense mysteries.  I need more than two hands to count how many korean action movies I would give an A+ 

I like that their protagonists don't have to be recognizably good, heroic, or even particularly capable.  In US movies someone is either going to be the good guy or become one, willing or otherwise.  In Korean films you might end up with a field entirely made up of villains by the end or watch a shallow guy survive without finding redemption along the way.  You don't really get that often in major US movies anymore.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

I like that their protagonists don't have to be recognizably good, heroic, or even particularly capable.  In US movies someone is either going to be the good guy or become one, willing or otherwise.  In Korean films you might end up with a field entirely made up of villains by the end or watch a shallow guy survive without finding redemption along the way.  You don't really get that often in major US movies anymore.  

You speak the truth.  I Saw The Devil, The Chaser, Thirst come to mind.  In most Korean thrillers, the good guys live long enough to see themselves become the villain.  :evil:

Korea doesn't care about appealing to the masses and giving the audience a hero.  They just know revenge is a dish best served bloody.  :headbang:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, youngchew said:

With two of Hollywood's hottest actors and the movie itself getting overall strong reviews, not sure why I'm not excited to see Nocturnal Animals.  I'm sure I'll like it a lot but we aren't going to see it in theaters. :( 

Nocturnal Animals.

Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal divorce, Jake writes a ****ed up novel and sends it to Amy.  He dedicates the book to her and it freaks her out.  This one jumps around a bit structurally (between reality and the book), but at no point did it feel forced or hard to follow.  I was expecting a less exciting version that would be considered boring by some, but I was wrong.  The intense scenes were in your face.  The acting was top notch.  A really well done noir flick.

I knew Michael Shannon was listed here, but he got a lot more screen time than I thought he would.  And he kills it.  Certainly one of the best working today.

Chew, certainly worth the price of admission.  I feel confident that you would like it. :)

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Chew, certainly worth the price of admission.  I feel confident that you would like it. :)

Dawg, if you like it, I'm sure I'd like it.  We're connected like that, but not in a weird way.  :cheers:

Sounds interesting.  Wife insists that we're going to see Denzel's Fences this weekend.  Rogue One is obviously getting all the hype lately, but Fences is very quietly sitting at a 95% on Rotten.  'Zel said on Jimmy Fallon that Fences "is the greatest movie he's ever been a part of."  Coming from Denzel himself, that's saying something.  :o

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 11:35 AM, Destino said:

Yeah, that's why I love foreign movies.

People in the US just reach for low hanging fruit

• Like 2

I'll confess. Just don't have time or patience to go to theaters any more. Must be old. ;) So I catch up via Netflix and such. Or,when my youngest son gives me a DVD for Christmas, :) I catch up that way. So in the spirit of the thread. 

Captain America Civil War 

portrait_incredible.jpg

From Wiki: 

Political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability when the actions of the Avengers lead to collateral damage. The new status quo deeply divides members of the team. Captain America (Chris Evans) believes superheroes should remain free to defend humanity without government interference

Probably one of my top favorites of the films they have put out so far. I've already watched it 3 times. Love what the writers did with this one as opposed to the comic version,(go figure). T'Challa,the Black Panther,(a childhood favorite),was done wonderfully. Loved it. 

• Like 1

I just watched that again on Netflix the other day. The entire movie is a setup for the airport fight and the 2v1 end fight. Nothing about the plot makes sense or isn't unnecessarily overcomplicated. It's downright comical how ridiculous some of the actions, motivations and plot conveniences there are

I still liked it a lot, it's just really odd seeing the difference in perception of this movie vs BVS, which was also a flawed movie 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Deepwater Horizon: B-

Once the rig blew up, it was thrilling.  Kinda was a poor man's Titanic from the standpoint of once the mayhem started, it picked up.  All the oil industry lingo was kinda uninteresting to me.  But maybe cuz I had to read a book on the whole affair in grad school.  They kept the shenanigans to a minimum, and kept it focused on that day on the rig, which was probably a good idea.  They coulda had a 2.5 hr movie if they wanted just on the machinations and shadiness of BP.

The Accountant:  B+

Wasn't sure what to expect, but I heard good things about this flick.  I was entertained.  Interesting take on autism.  Don't really see that in a film like this.  You could definitely tell this was in Affleck's BvS phase cuz he was physically enormous.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I just watched that again on Netflix the other day. The entire movie is a setup for the airport fight and the 2v1 end fight. Nothing about the plot makes sense or isn't unnecessarily overcomplicated. It's downright comical how ridiculous some of the actions, motivations and plot conveniences there are

I still liked it a lot, it's just really odd seeing the difference in perception of this movie vs BVS, which was also a flawed movie 

Sometimes simple is good. Def felt like there were several plot inconveniences, regarding the Starks, and several others, but I thought the action was great, and the characters were great, imo

BvS was just a colossal mess of miscast people, way too over the top action, and a complete butchering of Batmans persona at the end

You could see it all coming a mile away, once they cast Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Sometimes simple is good. Def felt like there were several plot inconveniences, regarding the Starks, and several others, but I thought the action was great, and the characters were great, imo

BvS was just a colossal mess of miscast people, way too over the top action, and a complete butchering of Batmans persona at the end

You could see it all coming a mile away, once they cast Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor

This.  Civil War, for all its faults, was well-cast, well-paced and fun.  Dawn of Justice has almost no redeeming features and is a dreadful bore.

Save Martha!!

• Like 1