Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things People in DC Say

#98QBKiller

A. I've eaten those jumbo slices. They are awful. But they are good for absobing a fifth of bourbon if that's what you've drunk that night.

B. I've never heard anyone say "Bama."

One of the things I liked about living in DC was that it was the only major NE city that did not have all the provincial BS that infests every other city. I kind of lacked the fact that it had no real local culture or customs. I lived in Pittsburgh for three years and people actually would get angry at you if you didn't like - I dunno - Isaly's chipped ham or something. And there is nothing charming about awful local accents that very few people actually have anymore (Hello, Baltimore). And it's weird to have pride in that fact that everyone in your city is an ******* (Hello, Philly!)

DC should take pride in the fact that it is filled with people from Kansas City. I would make a giant sign that said "Washington DC: Enjoy our Cheesecake Factories."

"Siced" is old school DC slang, I don't know if anyone says it or not these days.

"Lunchin"

"joning"

"pressed"

"carry"

"youngin"

"huh man"

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 05:11 PM ----------

I'm gonna bring it back into my put-down vocabulary

I stll say it from time to time. haha.

"Siced" is old school DC slang, I don't know if anyone says it or not these days.

"Lunchin"

"joning"

"pressed"

"carry"

"youngin"

"huh man"

I say siced. I brought that to San Diego with me and taught some of my students that. I think I said "pressed" to my boyfriend once and he had no idea what I was talking about. I never took to using the word lunchin. I know carry, but I never really used it, a lot of people did, though. Never heard of huh man.

Another is "what it is"....that was popular about 8 years ago. Oh, and "crucial". I still say things are crucial all the time.

And I'll say bamma sometimes, but I'm going to up it.

I will add this.

There is a unique DC culture in the black community. I'm not aware of any other city that has its own native brand of music that has absolutely no popularity anywhere in the country. I'm sure some of that has slipped into the culture at large.

Isn't "siced" just some horse**** that the Sports Junkies made up?

I grew up in the area and never heard the term except when someone was talking about the Tide until a couple of years ago.

what type of people did you hang out with? These words were popular when I was in high school/early college (late 90's/early 00's) and I hung out with an urban crowd.

I will add this.

There is a unique DC culture in the black community. I'm not aware of any other city that has its own native brand of music that has absolutely no popularity anywhere in the country. I'm sure some of that has slipped into the culture at large.

Isn't "siced" just some horse**** that the Sports Junkies made up?

Haha, that's how all white people know the word siced, but it's not from them. I think they're all from PG...so, not much of a surprise that they use it.

what type of people did you hang out with? These words were popular when I was in high school/early college (late 90's/early 00's) and I hung out with an urban crowd.

Well, the post I'm was referring to was that it was used heavily back in the late 70s and early 80s when I was in HS and early college, so have you ever seen Dazed and Confused? Like those guys except in the DMV.

Well, the post I'm was referring to was that it was used heavily back in the late 70s and early 80s when I was in HS and early college, so have you ever seen Dazed and Confused? Like those guys except in the DMV.

Haven't seen it, but know the types you're talking about. Yeah, pretty sure those type of guys didn't use "bamma".

Another word I still use is wylin

B. I've never heard anyone say "Bama."
That's because people used to say that 30 years ago. I haven't heard that is decades.

And you all know this is heard everyday. "passing on the left" "brunch"

That's not 100% true' date=' I heard "bamma" a lot in middle/high school.

And what's with the brunch thing? Am I the only one who isn't bombarded with conversations about brunch?

"Lunchin"

"joning"

Yeah, those are regular Junkies words now.

I remember my father teaching me how to play Tonk one afternoon when I was a kid. He would always tell me it was the "official game of the District."

The hell is Tonk?

"Lunchin"

"joning"

"pressed"

"carry"

"youngin"

"huh man"

I still say all these things. I just can't let it go lol.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 07:17 AM ----------

Yeah definitely heard siced before the Junkies.

Yeah like back in '88

inner loop / outter loop even though 95% of the people couldn't tell you which one is which while on it at the time.

Saying '7 corners' here means you've at some point been stuck in the inside lane and off on a road trip due to others not letting you in.. Other places would say "What".

The ***** set me up or Mayor for life is automatic recognition of DC

Tonk is also a barracks card game along with hearts/spades.

inner loop / outter loop even though 95% of the people couldn't tell you which one is which while on it at the time.

I've lived in/around DC for a total of 4+ years now and I only recently realized what they mean when they refer to the inner and outer loop. I always thought that one was the east side of the loop and the other the west side, but that never made sense. haha

It's funny, when I was getting my drivers license, the eastern portion of the capital beltway was called I-95 and the western portion of the beltway was I-495. Then they changed it so the whole thing was I-495 but the eastern portion was also I-95 as well.

I think they got rid of that, because I don't see the same signs as when I was a kid, but it's still pretty confusing if you ask me. They should just say inner loop and outer loop. Inner is clockwise, outer is counterclockwise. Case closed.

Saying '7 corners' here means you've at some point been stuck in the inside lane and off on a road trip due to others not letting you in.. Other places would say "What".

The ***** set me up or Mayor for life is automatic recognition of DC

Tonk is also a barracks card game along with hearts/spades.

Tonk isn't DC exclusive. Hardly.

"joning"

"pressed"

These ones really bring back memories.

How about "steal"? I haven't heard that in years. That was slang for " punch". As in "I'm gonna steal you in yo mouth fool!"

Also "triflin" was pretty common.

Archived