Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10th anniversary of the "Tuck Rule" game

LeesburgSkinFan

While the Pats are shady (VERY shady), I have to ask: do you think it was the right call.

I've seen it over and over again and I have to say "yes."

Yes, it meets the definition of the tuck rule to a tee. That was called a fumble for every situation I'd seen prior to the invention of the "tuck" rule..

HailGreen, your sig is nice and appropriate for this thread lol.. 10 years later, the 'golden boy' still gets the 'golden treatment'
Thanks. Yeah, we ought to count all the "Brady Rules" and interpretations. Starting with the "tuck rule" as interpreted against the raiders, and how "roughing the QB" became enforced differently.

The tackling by the knees thing is quite literally a 'brady rule' that was implemented after his injury. Jason Campbell had his kneecap dislocated in similar fashion the year before and no big deal.

I thought that was the Carson Palmer rule, but Goodell made it the Brady Rule because Kraft got mad.

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.

well in Brady's case he actually finished bringing the ball back and had both hands on it, he never tucked it because QB's pass and don't run with the ball in almost any situation.

Dumbest rule in the game. Well the one called on the Skins in the Rams game on the punt was dumb too, is that even a rule when you hit the returner as he catches the ball and doesnt signal fair catch?

Easiest way I can think to solve this:

QB loses the ball and it goes forward (in the air), incomplete pass. If it goes laterally or backwards, fumble. Done and done.

What about this: Orakpo gets the edge on the tackle, sticks his arm out with the quarterback bringing the ball back and knocks it forward, or hits the QB from behind, jarring the ball out and forward. Would you call that an incomplete pass?

What about this: Orakpo gets the edge on the tackle, sticks his arm out with the quarterback bringing the ball back and knocks it forward, or hits the QB from behind, jarring the ball out and forward. Would you call that an incomplete pass?
I'm unsure if the rule should be by the ball going forward, or the QB's hand going forward, but just to play devil's advocate here:

In your example, if a RB catches that ball, it's called a reception. So IMO it wouldn't be outrageous to say it's incomplete if nobody catches it. I'd be happy either way, long as the NFL made it one way or the other (ball going forward or hand going forward).

personally i don't think QBs should be allowed to throw the ball away....anything that does not come close to a receiver should be considered intentional grounding/sack - even with a qb getting hit and the ball going into the ground - it's too much throwing the ball away and the offense gets a pass because of this

same thing with sliding...if your going to run and play the game you know the consequences...take the hit

fair catch...don't want to catch it? let it go

personally i don't think QBs should be allowed to throw the ball away....anything that does not come close to a receiver should be considered intentional grounding/sack - even with a qb getting hit and the ball going into the ground - it's too much throwing the ball away and the offense gets a pass because of this

I disagree. If a receiver isn't open, they shouldn't have to force a pass, that may get picked off, because of a rule.

I disagree. If a receiver isn't open, they shouldn't have to force a pass, that may get picked off, because of a rule.

Don't have to force it, run - throw it close but not 20 feet over someones head and 2 rows deep into the stands. They need to adjust them just bombing the ball

Execute the play and don't have to worry about it :) haha

*i just don't like the whole "i don't want to get hit" mentality - take a hit, you get paid, you know whats coming

Archived