Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets players want Manning not Sanchez- What value is there in Sanchez

The Hangman- C_Hanburger

I feel like you haven't even read a thing I've said, and it's actually quite humorous.

:ols:

I want you to understand I'm not advocating Shanahan or Allen scouting him directly. I want you to understand that I feel this way about all of our options. I want you to understand that I, personally, really don't want the guy. Otherwise, you seem to be arguing points I never said.

I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Me: Sanchez is a bad option

You: But Sanchez is an option nevertheless

Me: Sure, so is Kyle Orton, it doesn't mean they need to be discussed at length, as with the many other weak options.

You: We should start a thread discussing weak options

Me: How much time should we put into discussing weak options

You: More than we are doing now, this board is too dismissive, we need a plan

Me: I'm sure every option is being considering, some just do not and should not require as much time as others

You: Due dilligence means considering every option

Me: I give up

You: You are not listening

Me: My final point - there are lots of options. Brett Farve is an option, 100% Wildcat is an option, Mark Sanchez is an option. Time would be best used focusing on a managable number of the best options (five or so free agents, five or so draft picks). For me, and I would expect for our scouting department, there are several technical options that can be dismissed farily easily by answering a handful of questions. And maybe one of those options turns out to be Steve Young reincarnate. But I'm ok taking that risk to focus on bigger priorities. QB is not the sole thing we have due dilligence to perform on.

STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY! He is not any better than Rex Grossman. He will not lead a team to the Super Bowl because of his work ethic, at least that is what is being reported. Shanahan and Allen need to do their homework and acquire the teams franchise QB and not an end of the career or retread QB from some other team. Is Matt Flynn, Mark Sanchez, or any other teams backup any better than our starter now? I say no because what have they proved? One to five games doesn't provide enough to make them our franchise QB. Look at what happened when the Lions went out and acquired Scott Mitchell to be their franchise QB. He never lived up to the hype and neither has Matt Schaub or Kevin Kolb with their new teams. We need to draft the right guy and not a guy that won a Heisman Trophy or received a bunch of hype in College because they won games at that level. If you go to history of guys that have won Super Bowls and have been franchise QB's they aren't those guys. Tom Brady, Big Ben, Bob Griese, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Drew Brees, Terry Bradshaw, Trent Dilfer, and Doug Williams. These guys didn't win the Heisman or recieve a high grade in the draft. These guys were successful because they worked harder than everyone else to obtain the prize. Trent Dilfer is a prime example that you don't have to be a good QB to win the Super Bowl because the only reason he won a Super Bowl was due to the Ravens defense.

I wonder if the 49ers players would have voted to cash in Alex Smith a year or two ago?

Rex Ryan puts way too much pressure on the guy. He hasn't performed as of yet up to what would be expected, but I think Ryan and all his bluster raises the bar of expectation too high.

The Jets need to realize that the other 52 guys are just as much failures as Sanchez was this year.

By all accounts that locker room is as dysfunctional as can be. I would not take what anyone says within it to heart. They take on the personality of their coach, blowhards who don't know when to shut their collective yap.

Go play golf and shut up, losers.

~Bang

Sanchez has thrown up three straight crap seasons. Now that does not mean he will always be crap. Drew Brees did the same thing (although eh barely played his rookie year). But Brees is the exception rather than the rule. To expect Sanchez to turn it around is unlikely. That combined with a high salary do not make him an attractive additon.

Of course, New York would only consider dealing him if they get a replacement (i.e. Manning). I don't see how they can afford both Manning and Sanchez. I'd think they'd have to just cut Sanchez. Because who's going to take on that contract AND give up draft picks? Best I'd offer is a 7th, if that.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 12:23 PM ----------

Tom Brady, Big Ben, Bob Griese, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Drew Brees, Terry Bradshaw, Trent Dilfer, and Doug Williams. These guys didn't win the Heisman or recieve a high grade in the draft.

Bradshaw, Dilfer, Young, Griese, and Big Ben DID recieve very high grades in the draft. All were high first round picks (Bradshaw even went first overall) except Young, who was a the first overall pick in the supplemental draft (held for USFL and CFL players). Doug Williams also went mid first round and Brees went at pick 32. I understand your point, you just did a poor job of illustrating it. Only Brady and Montana came into the league as "lower" picks.

Rex Ryan puts way too much pressure on the guy. He hasn't performed as of yet up to what would be expected, but I think Ryan and all his bluster raises the bar of expectation too high.

This is where I have to disagree with you. I don't think the Jets put enough pressure on him. Last year when he was playing badly, they started splitting the snaps in practice between him and Brunnell. Sanchez started playing well again. This year, I have heard that he was lazy at practice and film study. He has no real competition so he isn't pushing himself. I think that one of the biggest knocks on Sanchez is that he isn't a self starter and needs to be pushed to do a good job. He needs outside motivation to be successful and that is something I would never want in a QB. When the chips are down in the 4th qtr, I want a QB who has pride in himself and knows he is prepared for it.

It's just one of those "it" factors in all of the great ones. Sanchez doesn't appear to have it and there is no way to tell if he will ever learn it.

I think he has some upside....He showed good escapability in the pocket early on in his career and was willing to push the ball downfield. He's a shell of himself now though and has lost all pocket presence & ability to stand in the pocket and throw downfield.....Can you rebuild him? Its worth a mid round selection but nothign more. But at this point are we interested in a reclamation project or a permanent solution? This would have been something to take a shot at this past season is he was available.

I don't know...I'm disinclined to just dismiss Sanchez. I mean, he's not great by any means, but I think if he were here instead of New York, he'd be better. Brian Schottenheimer has one of the most unimaginative offensive schemes I've ever seen. It's why whenever someone complains about Kyle I just shake my head and think about how it could be so much worse. It never seemed like they adjusted to what Sanchez did well at USC. They stuck him in that bare bones Air Coryell attack and had this identity as "ground and pound" (they used to call it Marty Ball), but it seemed like every year they tried to get away from it more.

Sanchez always seems to operate best when he's rolling out and throwing on the run, or when the formality of the original pay breaks down and he can disregard whatever miserable play Schotty calls and he can just create on his own. And then Sanchez wasn't helped by the Jets not paying Braylon Edwards and cutting Jericcho Cotchery (Edwards is young and had some big plays in the 2010 playoffs, Cotchery was a reliable veteran) and replacing them with selfish players, one of which hadn't played football in two years. Oh, and that "great" offensive line was hurt when they failed to draft a replacement for Damien Woody or add any sort of legitimate depth at guard. You just get the sense that the Jets figured "Hey, we got this, no use legitimately getting better, let's Vinny Cerrato those puppy right to the Super Bowl!"

The Jets have WAY bigger issues than Sanchez. Something makes me think that he'd perform much better with this team than he ever did with the Jets. Which isn't to say I want him. But If we spent, like, a fourth round pick to bring him here and he was willing to wiggle around in the contract department, I'd take a shot. There's worse options.

Many ppl seen this coming a long time ago.. its funny to see how things have been unraveling.

As soon as they decided they were going to let Cromartie and Edwards go and try and go after Asomugha and Burress I went "Well this is going to go really, really bad."

The Skins have a chance to go after a franchise QB(hopefully). If they miss on that then some of this other talk can start. No Peyton, No Flynn, No Sanchez, No Grossman, No Beck, All-in-For Griffin

Do we know Griffin is a franchise QB? One year in a spread? Maybe he is. Kid from Ok St. looked just as good everytime I saw him, he is not considered one. Kellen Moore looks better every time he is on the field, he's not one. If he falls to us, fine. All-in-For him, I don't know man.

Do we know Griffin is a franchise QB? One year in a spread? Maybe he is. Kid from Ok St. looked just as good everytime I saw him, he is not considered one. Kellen Moore looks better every time he is on the field, he's not one. If he falls to us, fine. All-in-For him, I don't know man.

Not sure if I'd classify the OSU QB as a kid; he'll be 29 in October.

Weeden's age is really the only thing that's holding me back on him. The guy has the intangibles however his age and previous wear and tear (he used to pitch for the NY Yankees) makes me weary.

I will say this a much higher percentage chance of RG3 becoming something special than a lot of other guys the Skins have an opportunity to get. Also, Weeden probably won't be a franchise QB, because it would be hard to get 10 years out of him.

As soon as they decided they were going to let Cromartie and Edwards go and try and go after Asomugha and Burress I went "Well this is going to go really, really bad."

some point soon, they're going to have to blow the whole thing up. They have a bunch of old, overpriced, oft injured players on that team (seems familiar :ols:)... I wonder how long or short of a leash Fat Boy has though..

OK, I have never particularly liked Sanchez, and have had that conversation on this board many times. Would never have had any interest in him.

But, with the way this thread went, I feel I have to defend him at least a little. He's 25, he's improved every year in the league, has shown flashes of borderline brilliant play and has come up big in the postseason. And he's been handled horribly in New York. The guy still has a pretty good chance to turn into a very good QB, especially in a new environment. If he were a FA, I would say he is a pretty interesting option in the chance that we can't get Griffin. Of course, he isn't and would likely cost a 2nd round pick, so I would definitely say no.

The Manning to New York scenario is one I've brought up a couple of times because it's such an intriguing one, imo. It just makes so much sense. I don't know if it's manageable cap-wise, but imagine if he and Wayne went there as a package deal, maybe even Caldwell as an assistant. Suddenly, you have one of the best passing attacks in the NFL and a whole draft (including whatever picks for Sanchez) to ramp up that defense. Plus, it would drive Patriot fans absolutely bonkers, which would be worth the price of admission right there.

some point soon, they're going to have to blow the whole thing up. They have a bunch of old, overpriced, oft injured players on that team (seems familiar :ols:)... I wonder how long or short of a leash Fat Boy has though..

I was just stunned they went after Nnamdi when they have the best corner in football. AND they were going to pay Nnamdi more than they're paying Revis.

That kind of thing breeds resentment in the lockerroom. You can tell Revis wasn't happy with it. He had to fight tooth and nail, scratch and claw to milk the money that he'd EARNED out of the Jets. Then they were going to turn around and throw money at Nnamdi? First red flag.

Then they get rid of two reliable players that are favorite targets of Mark Sanchez for two old receivers desperate to win a Super Bowl. Another red flag.

And then Rex Ryan APPOINTS team captains. He doesn't let the team decide who the team captains are. He picked them himself. Yet another red flag. More resentment on top of more resentment on top of more resentment.

That whole damn team is going to go into crisis mode pretty soon.

If I can get the flux capacitor working, I'll fire up the wayback machine and go back to 2009 where half of ES wanted to trade the entire draft and two or three first round picks to get Sanchez. I remember those same people extolling the genius of the Jets for trading draft picks to move up to number 5 and steal him away from the rest of the NFL.

Oh, well. If I can't get the wayback working at least I know these hindsight glasses work perfectly.

Lol at people who don't want Sanchez. We started Rex and Beck. We have zero room to talk when it comes to QBs.

If the Jets will take a fourth rounder, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Take Floyd at 6 or try and.trade back and get him later. Spend the rest of the draft on Oline, ILB, corner and another RB. Maybe take a project like Moore or Wilson later in the draft.

That's a team that could compete for the.division.

Archived