Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets players want Manning not Sanchez- What value is there in Sanchez

The Hangman- C_Hanburger

By that logic, we also should be doing serious due dilligence on Kyle Orton, as he is a potential scenerio.

However, I'm not seeing many "Should We?" threads on Orton.

I guess there would not be such a dismissive tone to some of the responses if Sanchez had not been singled out as a somehow better option than the group of mediocre, veteran QBs who share the same tier of skill as Rex Grossman.

Let's just start a thread for "due dilligence" QBs and throw Grossman, Sanchez, Orton, McNabb, Redman, Anderson, Hill, Stanton, Quinn, Garrard, Boller, Whitehurst, McCown, Feeley, Rosenfels, Carr and Brunell all in there and try not to speak about them except in a "leave no stone unturned' context.

*Not included in that ****pile should be Henne, Johnson, and Dixon.

Thank you for saying it much better than I could. I agree 100%. And just for me can we throw Flynn in that mix to, because he is about the same tier as the rest of these guys.

By that logic, we also should be doing serious due dilligence on Kyle Orton, as he is a potential scenerio.

Agreed.

Let's just start a thread for "due dilligence" QBs and throw Grossman, Sanchez, Orton, McNabb, Redman, Anderson, Hill, Stanton, Quinn, Garrard, Boller, Whitehurst, McCown, Feeley, Rosenfels, Carr and Brunell all in there and try not to speak about them except in a "leave no stone unturned' context.

If you're being serious and not sarcastic, I love the idea. Let's get it rockin'!

Thank you for saying it much better than I could. I agree 100%. And just for me can we throw Flynn in that mix to, because he is about the same tier as the rest of these guys.

While I'm not crazy about Flynn, I think he deserves a far more serious look than Luke McCown.

He's one of four FA QBs I think require in depth study (along with the above three).

I just would find it hard to believe that among the handful of actually intriguing vets, and the handful of potentially draftable candidates, we would choose to pass on every one for someone of Sanchez's caliber.

How much dilligence do we really need to put into our 9th option?

While I'm not crazy about Flynn, I think he deserves a far more serious look than Luke McCown.

He's one of four FA QBs I think require in depth study (along with the above three).

I just would fine it hard to believe that among the handful of actually intriguing vets, and the handful of potentially draftable candidates, we would choose to pass on every one for someone of Sanchez's caliber.

How much dilligence do we really need to put into our 9th option?

Enough so that if it becomes reality, we've done the job and figured out if they're a prospect.

I feel too many are too dismissive around here. We aren't in any kind of position to be comfortable in the fact we're going to land Griffin. We're picking 6th. I almost think we have to move up to get him. Him/Luck (if a miracle occurs) are our top options. I don't advocate any other choices other than them.

But I'm also not running around saying "who care's about these other guys, they won't matter! No need to even look at them!" that's what our scouting department is for, folks. To look at guys.

I don't want Sanchez. I don't want him anywhere near this team. I don't think he's an upgrade to Grossman. But, there may be a glimmer of hope. Steve Young might have been that 9th option somewhere along the way.

All I'm saying is evaluate everyone. One of those "****pile" guys might wind up being one of the Redskins top targets after Luck/Griffin because they think they fit. Just saying.

Just a comment on the all-in for Griffin theme. I like Griffin a lot as a prospect and would be delighted if we get him, but there is a decent chance we don't get him even if we attempt to trade up. Someone else like Cleveland may covet him and they have more ammunition to package a deal with the Rams than we do for example.

So a question for those who seem to be unwilling to consider any scenario except drafting Griffin - what's your plan if the sky falls and we can't get him? Single Wing?

Just a comment on the all-in for Griffin theme. I like Griffin a lot as a prospect and would be delighted if we get him, but there is a decent chance we don't get him even if we attempt to trade up. Someone else like Cleveland may covet him and they have more ammunition to package a deal with the Rams than we do for example.

So a question for those who seem to be unwilling to consider any scenario except drafting Griffin - what's your plan if the sky falls and we can't get him? Single Wing?

This is exactly what I'm getting at as well.

Due diligence. Nothing more. We need a plan. And that plan, as much as it hurts me to say, may wind up being Rex Grossman. But something needs to be in place for every possible scenario.

Due diligence. Nothing more. We need a plan. And that plan, as much as it hurts me to say, may wind up being Rex Grossman. But something needs to be in place for every possible scenario.

I don't doubt the the scouting department is taking a no stone unturned approach.

But realistically, between the intense scouting that we are doing on our top prospects, non-QBs included, exactly how much time do you think Mike Shanahan is able to spend watching tape of QB options 9 through whatever? A day? Probably. A week? Considering FA begins in less than five weeks, I highly doubt it.

We need to be prepared, but at some point, preparing for every possible scenario can have a determental effect on your preparations for the most likely scenario.

With or without Griffin, I think it is likely that Rex is back in 2012. Of all the stop gap options, I think he actually gives us the best chance to win. The only way he is not back is if we sign Flynn. Otherwise, Griffin included, we are going to be developing a QB.

I probably have to say go with Grossman and draft a QB in the 2nd round. Also, even if we get Griffin I would still go Kellen Moore in the 6th or 7th. I honestly believe Flynn will be bad. His numbers are not great and he is a turnover machine. He also has a much better offense in Green Bay. I think if Shanny goes with Flynn, most in ES will be calling for his head by the end of the season.

It's also worth pointing out - again - that free agency comes before the draft so you can't wait and see if you can get Griffin and then swing to plan B and try to find a guy on the street. All the viable options such as they are will be long gone. We need to be looking at the options outside the draft and making a move there before the draft as well as doing what we can to get our rookie of choice.

It's not either a free agent or a rookie, it's both in my mind.

In order to not limit our options in the event that we target Griffin but fail to be able to trade up for him, I would prefer we trade up to #2 prior to the start of FA.

Either we know we are ensured Griffin (or Luck) or we know that we have to plan for contingency scenarios.

In the event we don't trade up by March 13th, I think bringing in a veteran free agent is prudent, independent of our plans to get Griffin (unless that vet is Flynn).

Someone like Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon would be QBs I would be focusing my due dilligence around now, as well as Flynn. I'm not sure how big the market will be for Mark Sanchez out of the gate (as well as some of the other ****pile vets) so I think freaking out about them now and worrying we haven't studied up enough is a bit premature.

Assuming we sign a vet and then miss out on Griffin, there are several combinations of developmental options and trade back scenarios for the draft.

Sanchez is a perfect example of what NOT to do with a QB from college that had limited starts.

Almost every scouting report when he came out said he was an outstanding prospect but needed a year holding the clipboard to adjust to the NFL.

What did the Jets do? Start him right away, never make him win the job, and protect him from any harsh words along the way.

"Summary: Talent-wise, I absolutely love Mark Sanchez. I think he has more natural talent than Matthew Stafford. BUT, Stafford has the experience factor and arm strength over Sanchez which will propel him to be the first quarterback taken. Sanchez has it all when you talk about a franchise quarterback, and the work ethic Matt Leinart does not. The team that drafts Sanchez might have to be a little patient. The sexual assault charge does not concern me at all (no evidence, no further problems) and it will not concern GMs.

Player Comparison: Aaron Rodgers. When I saw Rodgers play at Cal, I saw a natural at quarterback with the ability to improvise outside the pocket. Sanchez has the same level of athleticism, and both are proficient passers."

http://walterfootball.com/pro2009msanchez.php

so I think freaking out about them now and worrying we haven't studied up enough is a bit premature.

That's a little dramatic, don't you think? No one is freaking out. Whatsoever.

We're saying study up. And none of us mentioned Shanahan or Allen by name, either. We simply said "due diligence".

In order to not limit our options in the event that we target Griffin but fail to be able to trade up for him, I would prefer we trade up to #2 prior to the start of FA.

Thats not going to happen. Deals dont get done until they need to get done from the perspective of both parties. The Rams will want to maximise the value for that pick assuming they want to trade out and they will have maximum leverage and thus value much closer to the draft and a deal may not get done until draft day itself or at least until the Colts have shown their hand and selected Luck.

We're saying study up. And none of us mentioned Shanahan or Allen by name, either. We simply said "due diligence".

Well I'm sure there is a regional scout who is taking time to study Mark Sanchez in between looking at other free agents and draft picks. I just hope that time is being prioritized.

I'm not sure what else you want me to say. If you want to discuss Mark Sanchez at length, feel free. I'm not particularly interested.

Well I'm sure there is a regional scout who is taking time to study Mark Sanchez in between looking at other free agents and draft picks. I just hope that time is being prioritized.

I'm not sure what else you want me to say. If you want to discuss Mark Sanchez at length, feel free. I'm not particularly interested.

I feel like you haven't even read a thing I've said, and it's actually quite humorous.

:ols:

I want you to understand I'm not advocating Shanahan or Allen scouting him directly. I want you to understand that I feel this way about all of our options. I want you to understand that I, personally, really don't want the guy. Otherwise, you seem to be arguing points I never said.

i dont know if there is validity to this report, and i cant believe im saying this, but yes, i think we should at least look into mark sanchez. i was not high on him predraft and was one of the first to sour on him in the nfl.. at the very least Sanchez would make an above average backup (or transitional starter) with youth and time to mature into a better qb.

can we get him for practically nothing? could we work around his contract? do coaches think he can be better in this system and reach his ceiling? these are some of the questions we should answer.

i like rex for some reason, always have, but his performance has not been above replacement, even at the backup level. the price may be ridiculously high for luck/rg3, so it would be a good idea to at least consider guys like matt flynn, joe webb, and mark sanchez while someone like tannehill sits on the bench.

Thats not going to happen. Deals dont get done until they need to get done from the perspective of both parties. The Rams will want to maximise the value for that pick assuming they want to trade out and they will have maximum leverage and thus value much closer to the draft and a deal may not get done until draft day itself or at least until the Colts have shown their hand and selected Luck.

This is not necessarily true. Shanahan traded up from 29 to 15 the Jay Cutler year 39 days prior to the draft. We should at least attempt to position ourselves as soon as possible, regardless of the long odds. Due dilligence and every possible scenario and such.

This is not necessarily true. Shanahan traded up from 29 to 15 the Jay Cutler year 39 days prior to the draft. We should at least attempt to position ourselves as soon as possible, regardless of the long odds. Due dilligence and every possible scenario and such.

Let me rephase then - it can happen its just very very unlikely to happen.

If you are the Rams why would you trade out of the #2 pick so far before the draft and before the Colts show their hand?

Archived