Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Shanahan has evaluated 10 to 15 college QBs this season

Califan007 The Constipated

Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.

• Tom Bradley
    • Eric Mangini
    • Mike Munchak
    • Al Golden
    • Chris Petersen
    • Pat Fitzgerald
    • Rich Rodriguez
    • Ron English
    • Jim Grobe (Wake Head Coach)
    • David Cutcliffe (Duke Head Coach)
    • Brian Norwood (If RG III Leaves)
    • Tom Clements
    • Bo Pelin
    • Tony Dungy
    • Other Please Explain

@grantpaulsen: Shanahan said he's evaluated 10 to 15 college QB's this season. Film is prepared to him which he watches first thing some mornings.

@grantpaulsen: Mike Shanahan on evaluating 10-to-15 college QBs so far: takes half hour a day, early AM, watches 75/80 passing plays in game-situations.

@grantpaulsen: 2 reasons why fans should feel confident in Shanahan's QB evaluating ability: Last guy he took in RD1 was Cutler, (and) he was not a Gabbert fan.

@MikeJonesWaPo: Mike Shanahan started evaluating college quarterbacks midway through the season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/mike-shanahan-started-evaluating-college-qbs-midseason/2011/12/30/gIQAyEkwQP_blog.html

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said that although the season has yet to come to an end, he already has begun evaluating the top college quarterbacks.

Shanahan said he makes a habit of evaluating college quarterback play at the start of each day, watching tapes given to him by the team’s pro and college scouts.

“I’ve already looked at 10 or 15 of them,” Shanahan said Friday afternoon. “I’ll take half-hour a day, early in the morning. The tapes are made up. I’ll look at maybe 75, 80 plays of just a guy throwing the football in game situations and so that’s most of the passes, or at least the good passes during the season, just so I get a feel for the guy.”

Shanahan said he “usually” starts breaking down quarterback midway through the season.

Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread, so feel free to merge if necessary, Mods. :thumbsup:

Ah, ok.

Man, what I wouldn't give to know, say, 7 or 8 out of those 15 he's scouted. :)

im sure the main 7 we think..

then small colleges and then comes in the underclassmen. Ones that won't come out because they can't. Always look into the future just incase **** doesnt pan out.

scouts at Griffins games is not new info LOL welcome to info getting repeated from jsteelzs and my twitter accounts months later.

I don't think anyone was claiming new info, just wondering where he had read it besides the 1 or 2 games you had mentioned.

Again, I'd like to know the other QBs being scouted, heh

scouts at Griffins games is not new info LOL welcome to info getting repeated from jsteelzs and my twitter accounts months later.

I don't think anyone was claiming new info, just wondering where he had read it besides the 1 or 2 games you had mentioned.

Shanny tried to get Bradford, was going to get Dalton, passed on Gabbert and used him to trade down, drafted Cutler, and him evaluating QBs like this already, and Kyle's recent comments about us needing to find a franchise QB and that we will, leaves me confident in their ability to get their guy and him being the right one.

Tannehill.

Wouldn't shock me if we saw Rex start next year with Weeden coming in mid-season with a developmental QB on the roster behind him (someone that is young but needs 2-3 years to wait like Rodgers did). Any thoughts as to who would fit that mold?

Mike Shanahan hopefully, has learned a hard lesson in not being to eager to stake his reputation on QBs that have given him no reason to. The way I see it is, the Redskins are going to trade up and take Griffin III. Maybe take Luck if it's possible. In the offseason, I think they'll offer Rex Grossman more money to be the back up to this new rookie QB. Grossman, despite his often clumsy, and laughable turnovers, could very well be the opening day starter in 2012 but of course won't be the starter by the end of the 2012 season. Beck, will either be traded or released. To have Beck in the mix in anyway next year doesn't make sense to me. Beck to me has shown his worth.

I know there's the thread about his parent's looking at agents but I still haven't heard that he's declared. Any inside info about which way he's leaning because he obviously was not to definitive after the Alamo Bowl win? (not sure if that's something you would hear about anyway though)

The biggest clue of where in the draft the coach will be picking a QB will be free agency. And I do not mean that he will use free agency to select a QB. How well the Skins do in FA will directly affect risk/reward percentage when selecting the first rounder. Reading his latest interviews, one can hear his disappointment after year one with the lack of depth and talent in this team. It is very hard to believe that this coach, as aware as he is now of where the many needs are, would give away multiple draft picks for any player in the draft. Of course if FA were to reward the Skins generously… otherwise, I would not sit waiting to see Luck or RGIII as the coach first round pick. I do believe a QB will be the Skins first pick.

I know there's the thread about his parent's looking at agents but I still haven't heard that he's declared. Any inside info about which way he's leaning because he obviously was not to definitive after the Alamo Bowl win? (not sure if that's something you would hear about anyway though)

Heard both so just gonna wait and see what he says when its time.

Mike Shanahan hopefully, has learned a hard lesson in not being to eager to stake his reputation on QBs that have given him no reason to.

i dont know about you, but i never believed any of that coachspeak. he cant say his players suck, and outside of the draft, there wasnt much to jump on as far as qbs go.

Archived