Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins plan on bringing back Hightower in 2012

Tarantula

The Redskins are interested in re-signing impending free agent Tim Hightower (ACL surgery).

"We'll keep our fingers crossed that he goes through rehab and there's no setbacks and he's good as new," said coach Mike Shanahan. "He's tough, hard-nosed, and he was a good addition to our football team." The Shanahans love Hightower's pass protection, so he could return as a third-down complement to Roy Helu and Evan Royster if the Redskins don't upgrade.

Related: Roy Helu

Source: Washington Times

Judging by the way Helu and Royster blocked this year, I can't honestly say this isn't a surprise. Hightower is still a lot faster and runs harder than both Helu and Royster, so this is a move I can see us making in the offseason.

:wtf:

Hightower is not faster than Helu. :ols:

this was EXACTLY my thoughts when i read that lol ... im not opposed to bringing him back .... especially if it is as a 3rd down back. but if it means losing helu im not on board.... and even though royster played well in pre season .... and did really well last weekend... im not buying into him quite yet.

this was EXACTLY my thoughts when i read that lol ... im not opposed to bringing him back .... especially if it is as a 3rd down back. but if it means losing helu im not on board.... and even though royster played well in pre season .... and did really well last weekend... im not buying into him quite yet.

we carried 3 backs this year, why not next year as well.

we carried 3 backs this year, why not next year as well.

oh dont misunderstand me... i have no issue with bringing him back... in fact im on board with it... just not at the expense of Helu whom i have been saying all season this kid is gonna be a stud... Royster shows much promise and i have a friend who knows the kid personally... and he swears that kid is gonna be a stud too.... im not the biggest fan of hightowers seemingly upright running style but he runs hard and is a hell of a blocker... so yeah if we can have all 3 ... im game

I'd like to see Hightower come back, as long as Royster and Helu stay on the roster too (Cant imagine Shanny plans on cutting either of them!). I like Hightower and think that the rotation we could pull with these 3 actually gives us a more than solid running game, opening it up for Shanny Jr's play action.game.

Let me start with, Bringing Hightower back wouldnt be the end of the world. But...

In regards to the statement you quoted, What did you expect him to say?

"We couldnt possibly care less if Tim Hightower recovers from his surgery, We have no plans to re-sign him anyways." :)

I don't think his comments are ringing endorsements. I don't think they are NOT ringing endorsements either.

I do think they are proper coach speak and that you shouldnt read too much into them.

In regards to your statement about Hightower being the fastest back on the team, :yikes:

I think the plan would be Helu on 1st and 2nd downs with Hightower being the 3rd down back, or possibly vice versa. I imagine training camp would be when that decision is made. Both backs have skillsets that would allow them to play both roles well. THT is the better blocker in pass protection whereas Helu is a bigger threat as a receiver.

Based on the current playcalling we do, I imagine it would be Helu 1st and 2nd down and THT on 3rd because we pass a lot on 1st and 2nd downs.

Edit: I see us keeping Royster too. He can go in if either of the other 2 go out as well as potentially play FB if Young goes down. The odd man out next year will likely be Sellers.

It doesn't matter who is faster just as long as we can keep these guys healthy through the year we will have a very good running game that will in turn open up or passing game even more. Of course we still need some more pieces to fit the puzzle and add some depth to the Offensive and Defensive lines. We need to get that QB of the future instead of getting retreads from other teams.

Never a bad thing to have more than a few starting caliber RBs.

Charles, Forte, Peterson, Jackson, Best, Murray are just a few of the backs that landed on IR this season. Many more missed significant time that didn't require IR.

Additionally, it would be interesting to see Hightower running behind a line that was clearly clicking more in the second half of the season and had jumped to 11th in run blocking DVOA by this week, from the low 20s earlier in the year.

I think it all comes down to how Hightower's knee is progressing. I doubt he will get big$$ on the open market, mainly because of the knee. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at a modest price.

Another great thing about getting production from the 2011 rookies is that these guys are on minimum salaries. The Redskins roster is full of guys earning 'low' base salaries. Players like Helu & Royster as probably picking up 500k to get their tails worked off. Why pay 3 or 4 times that when you can dig out mid or late round picks on low salaries - and still get production.

I think THT could contribute here - but as you say, it will be at a modest price from this FO.

Archived