Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Verizon Wireless to charge 2 dollar fee to pay your bill online or via phone

Sizzla3000

From the article:

The fee won't apply to electronic check payments or to automatic credit card payments set up through Verizon's AutoPay system. Paying by credit card in a Verizon store will also be free, as will mailing a check.

That's how most people pay anyways. I don't see the big deal with this fee, unless people are afraid that it will slowly creep into other forms of electronic payments for Verizon as well.

That's how most people pay anyways. I don't see the big deal with this fee, unless people are afraid that it will slowly creep into other forms of electronic payments for Verizon as well.

I don't like AutoPay on principal. I like to look at the bill before getting charged so that I can handle discrepencies before the money is in their account.

Convienence Fee? More like convienent for them to take more money out of my account.

I don't like AutoPay on principal. I like to look at the bill before getting charged so that I can handle discrepencies before the money is in their account.

Convienence Fee? More like convienent for them to take more money out of my account.

Just pointing out that with every AutoPay system I've encountered, you can schedule your payment well after the statement comes out to give you time to review it. They usually default to a date that is near the due date anyways.

My checking accounting is in the system so it just pulls from that. I don't know why you would pay by CC. If you don't pay your CC that month that you just adding interest to a bill you couldn't afford to pay at the time.

I pay 1/2 my bills with a credit card that offers cash back - I pay the bill at the end of the month with no interest and earn cash back.

Many rewards checking accounts require 12 uses of the debit card per month in order to gain the high rate. A common tactic to get around this is to make 12 small (sometimes as low as .01) payments to a utility such as a cell phone. Of course, the company, paying a transaction fee on every charge, loses money.

I would not be at all surprised if this policy is in response to people doing this. Notice that automatic payments are unaffected, meaning that people that only charge the payments once don't pay the fee.

Many rewards checking accounts require 12 uses of the debit card per month in order to gain the high rate. A common tactic to get around this is to make 12 small (sometimes as low as .01) payments to a utility such as a cell phone. Of course, the company, paying a transaction fee on every charge, loses money.

I would not be at all surprised if this policy is in response to people doing this. Notice that automatic payments are unaffected, meaning that people that only charge the payments once don't pay the fee.

I consider myself pretty slick, but damn, that would be a pain in the ass. I'll pass.

I consider myself pretty slick, but damn, that would be a pain in the ass. I'll pass.

I don't do it myself, but it becomes less painful, I am given to understand, if one simply goes online and takes 5 minutes to make 12 small payments to Verizon (or the gas company or whatever). Some people do it for more than one account, because many such accounts have limits of $10,000 on the higher rate.

This doesn't please anyone, because the bank sets things up this way with the idea that it will encourage people to use their debit card instead of other payment methods for normal purchases, and Verizon hates it because, as mentioned, it costs a flat fee plus a percentage every time it happens, to the point that for a very small transaction, they actually lose money on every payment.

Another popular trick is to go to a gas station and pump 1 cent 12 times, or the grocery store's self-checkout (one grape at a time, etc.).

I usually just head over to Verizon and pay my bill with cash in the store.

And for this they won't charge $2. Which to me requires more labor and man hours. But sending an online payment every month, requires far less...but for that there's a $2 charge? What a shame.

I pay everything I can by CC. I put everything on my Navy Federal card, I get back about 200 a year in rewards. If the kids only knew the 100 dollar Navy visa they get for Christmas was a freebie. Been giving them that for the past 4 or 5 years.

Yes I do pay off the CC every month so I show 0 balance and pay no interest. No one charges a fee yet once they do then i may or may not stop. I do not like giving out my checking account#. I am more protected with the CC .

I pay 1/2 my bills with a credit card that offers cash back - I pay the bill at the end of the month with no interest and earn cash back.

No I get that part. I have a CC with cash rewards. I was just always told never use a CC on groceries or bills.

No I get that part. I have a CC with cash rewards. I was just always told never use a CC on groceries or bills.

I pay all my bills except my mortgage and power with my credit card. When I set up the cell/newspaper/cable/whatever payment on my credit card, I then go to my credit card website and set up the corresponding payment.

Archived