Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Park: Redskins Make Roster Moves

Mark The Homer

For Immediate Release

Dec. 28, 2011

REDSKINS SIGN WR ALDRICK ROBINSON TO ACTIVE ROSTER;

WAIVE RB RYAN TORAIN

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they signed wide receiver Aldrick Robinson to their active roster from their practice squad and waived running back Ryan Torain.

Robinson (5-10, 178) was the second of Washington’s two sixth-round selections (No. 178 overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft. He spent the first 16 weeks of the season on Washington’s practice squad. In his four-year collegiate career at Southern Methodist, he finished second in school history (fifth in Conference USA history) with 3,314 receiving yards, hauled in 181 receptions (fourth in SMU history) and caught 30 touchdown passes (second in SMU history).

In 2010, Robinson earned first-team All-Conference USA honors after starting in all 14 games. He finished first in the conference with 1,301 yards receiving on 65 receptions and a single-season school-record 14 touchdown catches.

As a junior, Robinson participated in all 13 games with 12 starts and compiled 47 receptions for 800 yards and five touchdowns.

In 2008, Robinson earned All-Conference USA honorable mention honors after starting in 10 games and finishing sixth in the nation with 104.7 receiving yards per game. During the season, he compiled 59 receptions for 1,047 yards and 11 touchdowns.

During his freshman season, Robinson appeared in nine games, catching 10 passes for 166 yards and returning three kickoffs for 80 yards.

Robinson attended Waxahachie (Texas) High School, where he was a two-year All-District selection. He was born Sept. 24, 1988.

With the addition of Robinson to the active roster, the Redskins have had 11 of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster during the season. Rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins was placed on the Reserve/Injured list during the preseason.

Torain (6-1, 218) was in his second season with the Redskins. During the 2011 season, he compiled 200 yards rushing on 59 attempts with one rushing touchdown and added six receptions for 23 yards.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

I noticed Grant Paulsen tweet a little bit ago that Robinson was elevated to block another team that attempted to add him to it's active Roster. (This info was from Shanahan)

I think next year we'll have pretty good depth at RB/WR. Obviously we aren't the Saints/Packers at WR but we're getting some depth at those positions and who knows, maybe 1-2 will pan out to be full time starters soon enough. (Other than Hankerson)

Also, I'm really curious who tried to sign him (Robinson) to their roster.

Yeah, Banks has been pretty average this year on kick returns. I think he's 19th in the league for average return for players with 20 or more returns (there are like 6-7 more guys ahead of him if dropped that number back to 15 or more returns).

I like Brandon's speed and big play ability but it seems kind of hard to justify a spot for a guy that only does returns and maybe gets in on a gadget play here or there on offense, unless of course he's an elite returner.

To be honest, neither have proven that they can do either of those things as of yet. Paul has been on the roster all season and has 2 catches?

Ill admit that Robinson had a little trouble with the ball in preseason, its natural from a rookie, but then was sent to the PS.... He looked great in practice when I went to the park, seemed more fluid than the rest... Paul has not been given a chance at return duties and I feel that he will strive in this offense when he is in on a consistent basis

Archived