Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we force a QB onto the team if he's not "The Guy?"

HeluCopter29

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm new here, if this thread is wrong or bad for whatever reason, close it right now.

I apologize if that's the case.

I keep reading about how we NEED to take a franchise Quarterback this year. I on the other hand, disagree. For all this year we've been talking about how Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Matt Barkley are the three guys we should be taking a look at. Luck is going number 1 and Barkley is staying in school. That leaves us with Griffin.

So here's my question.

If Griffin isn't there, do we still take a QB?

I don't really understand why we would want to take a guy and then spend time developing him if he's not going to be the guy. I like a lot of the other options but I don't think any can be our Pro-Bowl Quarterback.

Here's the scenario I'm envisioning, and fearing:

We trade back a couple times and we take a guy like Richard Tannehill. Now let's say he takes the Mark Sanchez route and isn't all that great but we decide to pass on Matt Barkley next year all be it we're not sure about Tannehill. Now let's say Tannehill continues with lackluster performances and doesn't get any better. We've actually now set our franchise even further back because we've been spending time with this guy who sucks and all our young players have now gotten older and the process has to restart.

I understand that rookie QB's are a hit or miss deal but why we would maximize risk this year on a guy we don't love if we can get a better guy next year?

All of a sudden Rex Grossman doesn't look so bad for 2012, does he?

I don't think you have to select a guy and then give up on getting the QB you really think it "the guy" the next draft.

If we draft someone lower in the draft who has potential, but isn't NFL ready (say rounds 3 or 4-7) then we can easily draft a guy high in the first round next year and still not look like we've wasted picks because, in the least, our starter will have a reliable backup. At best, we'll end up with two great QBs competing against each other.

I don't think we'll draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd just because we need a QB, if the FO doesn't believe he's "the guy". If he's not the guy they want, then he's not getting taken that high.

If the scenario comes around where we can't get a guy we really think can be awesome, then I think we'll take a guy later on, and sign someone in the offseason who we think can do a better job of protecting the ball than Rex, then draft our #1 QB next year.

However, I think your point is moot if Griffin is there. The guy DOES fit our system and would be fantastic. I've said, since about half-way through the season, Luck, Griffin, and Barkley are our guys. I've never believed in Landry Jones, and I think the other guys will need to truly impress the FO before they take a shot at them in the first 2-3 rounds.

Well, if you are reading the Washington Post or listening to 106.7 the fan, yes. Every team out there hits on every single pick except the Redskins. The fact that Aldrick Robinson is getting called up until this week to play is a clear sign that Shanahan wants to win now....and he's worse than Cerrato.

But, in my humble opinion, I think if Luck and RG3 are out of the question, then you have 4 or 5 developmental guys that may pan out to be starters (your Tannehill's and your Foles' and Cousins') that you certainly need to take.

It's a delicate question and a lot of it depends on what happens and who's there when the Redskins are on the clock.

Personally, I think Trading back and grabing Tannehill around 12 or 13 might be a reach, but a good idea. There is no telling what Seattle is going to do and there are a shortage of quarterbacks with Jones, Barkley, and RG3 likely to return to school.

Call it a rock and a hard place situation. Hoping Rex is somehow different next year is foolish. If it's what you HAVE to do, so be it, but be ready for more INTs than TDs. Be ready for an intentional grounding every game and possibly double digit fumbles.

I almost wish Beck had been cut immediately, and some other backup had been here learning the system for the remainder of the season because basically, Rex is the only guy on the planet who knows Shanny's offense. Perhaps OTAs/training camp will be more important next year than they ever have been.

Can't do another year of Rex man, just can't do it. I will be so disappointed if it's the case.

This is a "do we take a guy who is not the right guy?" question? Do we take Ryan Leaf even though he is going to suck? For instance....

No, don't think anyone would suggest we take a bum for the sake of taking someone

I feel like a lot of people are in favor of taking a guy who we don't love though. No one's saying take a guy who's going to suck, that's just ****ing retarted. The question is more of taking a guy who's going to be our Pro-Bowler later or taking a guy who's gonna be average now.

So in this scenario, the Redskins go into 2012 at QB with Grossman and.....who?

Agree for the most part with jflow's post. After the fiasco at the position the past two seasons, you absolutely need to have someone on the roster next season who people see as a somewhat viable future guy. If the Skins wind up at #7, they will likely wait to see if RG3 falls to them. If not, I can see them trading down and getting a guy in the late first-early second round with one of their extra picks.

You might be able to squeeze one 9-7 (or so) season out of Rex, but the goal is to start to have multiple 10-win seasons. I would like to start that process sooner, and sees the scenario occuring where Rex throws up his patented stinker multi-INT game early-to-midway through the season and then we bring in the new person (whoever that is) and Rex is consigned to the bench. And take the lumps of 6-10 again and then start fresh in 2013. Rather than Rex giving us some fools gold in 2012 and then watching the implosion occur a year later.

I don't want to take a qb just take one, or just to make the fan base/media shut up. Do we need a qb? Absolutely, but I hope we don't just draft one for the sake of drafting one. If our guy is not there then take bpa or trade down. My fear is that we take a qb and our coaches think they can take an ok/aveage college qb and make him great. You can't polish a turd.

We all know we desperately need a QB! We also know we are not just a good QB away from a legit SB run though so hope and pray they do not either trade away the future to trade up for a QB or reach for one with what looks to be a top 10 pick (again). I share the OP's concerns - we had JC and did not even make an offer to Brees when he was a FA since we were invested with JC. If the FO is not sold on a QB for our spot in the early rounds I prefer they pick up a QB in the later rounds give him a shot and if he works great - if not draft another in 2013.

Attention all you new guys recently starting threads and telling the mods to "do whatever they need to do." Every time I see that from now on will mean an immediate temp ban whether thread violates a rule or not. What you're basically telling us is that you aren't sure of the rules, but you're "going ahead anyway", and then telling us "we can clean up after you if we want." Huh-uh. And as long as we're on this, we don't need anyone, regardless of how long they've been her, telling us we can close, or merge, or whatever, even when you include a please, or sorry. When you guys do that, do you think we're, like, waiting for your permission??? God. Durrrr.

I don't think it's a right now sort of thing. The Redskins should only draft a qb if they feel he has the skills/mindset they want. I can't imagine a scenario where the Redskins will pass on RGIII.

They wont pass on RGIII the problem is he may not be available when we pick for one reason or another

I think part of the problem is that the rules aren't in an obvious spot. Maybe make them a sticky so it's a thread at the very top of all the other threads and in an obvious place. I had to look for them. There's also no examples in rules 7 and 8. If there were it may be easier.

Not telling you how to do your job, just some suggestions :)

Unbelievable.

When you get back in a week, I hope you can figure out why you went away and not guess the wrong reason.

Attention all you new guys recently starting threads and telling the mods to "do whatever they need to do." Every time I see that from now on will mean an immediate temp ban whether thread violates a rule or not. What you're basically telling us is that you aren't sure of the rules, but you're "going ahead anyway", and then telling us "we can clean up after you if we want." Huh-uh. And as long as we're on this, we don't need anyone, regardless of how long they've been her, telling us we can close, or merge, or whatever, even when you include a please, or sorry. When you guys do that, do you think we're, like, waiting for your permission??? God. Durrrr.

I think part of the problem is that the rules aren't in an obvious spot. Maybe make them a sticky so it's a thread at the very top of all the other threads and in an obvious place. I had to look for them. There's also no examples in rules 7 and 8. If there were it may be easier.

Unbelievable.

When you get back in a week, I hope you can figure out why you went away and not guess the wrong reason.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 06:55 PM ----------

Additionally, I left this open as a kindness and and didn''t give an NNT, also knowing people will post in and discuss anything no matter how repetitive it is, just to give them something extra to do. But there is nothing new in this OP that isn't going on or hasn't been ins several existing threads, so we'll undo those misplaced acts of mercy. :)

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 07:32 PM ----------

P.S. TK just notified me that you're (the OP) lucky I got to this before he did. :)

Archived