Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does Drew Brees rank all-time? (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Just because San Diego took Rivers over Brees doesn't mean they were right. Give them a second chance and they'd take Brees.

Something is wrong with the board recently, I've noticed posts being put out of order and double posts all over the place.

The board glitches been happening for awhile, to everybody. The mods know.

No way does a team other than the Saints trade Rivers for Brees. Now most of the rest of the team is another story.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 02:42 PM ----------

How can you say that Rivers has made do with less help since? That's just asinine. Rivers has one of the best TEs to ever play the game in Gates. He has two huge WRs in Jackson and Floyd, and until 2 years ago he had one of the best RBs to ever play the game in LT. Yet, the Chargers would consistently come up short when it counted most.

Brees was a catalyst for the Saints and their SB win 2 years ago. He had one WR stud back then in Colston, besides that Brees has been working with Devery Henderson & Lance Moore. Jimmy Graham & Robert Meachem (who's off an on) weren't even on the team when the Saints won the Super Bowl. To say Rivers has made do with less help is a complete joke.

You're mistaking which is making which look better, the QB or the WR.

Rivers beat out Brees in SD, and has made do with less support since.

Big Ben extends plays, and throws the deep ball, far better than Brees.

Peyton Manning's career already eclipses Brees.

Glad to see at least no one's arguing about Brady and Rodgers being better than Brees. Well, almost.

Rodgers has already done more to carry a team than Brees ever has. Same with Ben, and Fouts.

You've got a good list there, but shouldn't Young, Baugh, and Starr be above Brees also?

No way is Brees even sniffing top ten, IMO. Top 20, sure.

I think I would only add Tarkenton to the list, Young probably behnd Brees IMO. Baugh is tough to rank, unfortunately palyed some time ago...

Peter King always advocates for Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh. But it's really much too difficult to include anyone in this analysis pre-merger (1966).

Mine:

(1) Montana

(2) Manning

(3) Brady

(4) Marino

(5) Staubach

(6) Favre

(7) Young

(8) Aikman

(9) Fouts

(10) Brees (could move up signficantly)

Honorable mention: Bradshaw, Tarkenton, Moon, Kelly, Theismann, Rodgers, Esiason, Cunningham, Simms, Bert Jones, Namath, Stabler.

Wow, Elway not even on your honarable mention list...but Randall and Boomer are. HMMMMMMM

You're mistaking which is making which look better, the QB or the WR.

You're mistaking which QB had more talent around him. Rivers had LT, Michael Turner, Sproles, Gates, Vincent Jackson, & Malcom Floyd.

Brees had Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Colston, Devery Henderson, and who at TE?

Rivers supporting cast > Brees supporting cast

Finally, Brees 1 SB win > Rivers 0 SB wins

You're mistaking which QB had more talent around him. Rivers had LT, Michael Turner, Sproles, Gates, Vincent Jackson, & Malcom Floyd.

Brees had Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Colston, Devery Henderson, and who at TE?

Rivers supporting cast > Brees supporting cast

Finally, Brees 1 SB win > Rivers 0 SB wins

Your last sentence actually contradicts the rest. It was the Saints opportunistic defense and great play by Colston and Henderson.

It's like saying Theissmann carried the Skins in '83, never mind the Hogs and the Fun Bunch. Both groups carrying the Skins offense to two superbowls after Joey T left.

edit: great thread, guys, back atcha later.

I guess I'd have him 9th.

Cutler

God

Manning

Montana

Marino

Elway

Brady

Young

Brees

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

Your last sentence actually contradicts the rest. It was the Saints opportunistic defense and great play by Colston and Henderson.

It's like saying Theissmann carried the Skins in '83, never mind the Hogs and the Fun Bunch. Both groups carrying the Skins offense to two superbowls after Joey T left.

Marques Colston would be the 4th receiving option if he played for the Packers. Devery Henderson wouldn't make the practice squad.

Rivers beat out Brees in SD, and has made do with less help since. Like in NE, WRs have been good because of the QB.

What in God's name are you smoking? Less help? Marques Colston and Lance Moore are better than Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd? Antonio Gates hasn't been better than the Saints tight ends in every year except this one, when Jimmy Graham is merely playing as well as Gates used to play? LaDainian Tomlinson, Mike Tolbert, and Ryan Matthews aren't better than Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush (the New Orleans version), and Mark Ingram's uninspiring rookie year? You're out of your mind.

Rivers didn't beat Brees out, Rivers was the choice of the ego of a GM who bet the farm on him in the ridiculous Eli Manning trade. You can't go back on something like that without losing credibility. They let Brees walk because he hadn't performed up to expectations until his final year, and by then picking Brees over Rivers would have been embarrassing for the front office.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 03:10 PM ----------

Again, you're out of your mind. The Saints' defense played well enough to make it through the playoffs. It forced enough turnovers to overcome the fact that it was otherwise mediocre. Or, put in another way, it forced enough turnovers to not give off the same stench of so many other defenses that failed to win a Super Bowl even when paired with a fantastic offense.

Colston is average, Henderson is below average. You're going through enormous mental contortions to try to explain away the guy who's having the most prolific season of any quarterback in NFL history. You're deluding yourself.

I just want to remind everyone that Brees tore his labrum in the last game of 2006, which made San Diego's decision all the easier.

In retrospect, they messed up and made the wrong decision. And Dr. James Andrews performed miraculous surgery as usual. That dude must be so rich.

They're close, but I give it to Farve based on career totals, and the rather short window that Young was a starter. Young's best season may have been better than Farve's, but Farve gets my vote (barely).

Young had to sit behind Montana though. Favre was a choke artist. Young was much more efficient and a dual running threat.

Wow, Elway not even on your honarable mention list...but Randall and Boomer are. HMMMMMMM

Yeah, forgot about him. I'd actually stick him between marino and staubach, move Brees down to 10a with Fouts for now.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 03:24 PM ----------

Young had to sit behind Montana though. Favre was a choke artist. Young was much more efficient and a dual running threat.

Right, but you can't control those circumstances. For instance, Staubach could be higher if he wasn't in the navy unitl age 27. Have to consider his time on hte field, not what "could have" been. Farve won 1 superbowl, went to another. Three time MVP. More efficient, at his best, yes, but a shorter career puts him behind Farve. Remember, Farve was unbelievable during his three year MVP run, and Young was considered a choke artist a various points in his career.

Brees is a reach to make the top 5 TODAY.

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Phillip Rivers

Ben Rothlisberger

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Drew Brees

That is by far the worst top 5 qbs list i have ever seen. I would take Brees over Rothlisberger and rivers any day of the week, and possibly over peyton manning as well.

Favre is not top 10, not even 20 unless you count durability. Some great years in the 90s but chokes in big games and makes too many stupid mistakes. Since Holmgren left he's never had solid back to back seasons.

Thank you. I'd put him around #10. How many chokes do you need to finally override a lot of meaningless yards? I mean in a list of the top 10 most clutch QB's ever he doesn't even sniff the list.

Favre is not top 10, not even 20 unless you count durability. Some great years in the 90s but chokes in big games and makes too many stupid mistakes. Since Holmgren left he's never had solid back to back seasons.

Thank you. I'd put him around #10. How many chokes do you need to finally override a lot of meaningless yards? I mean in a list of the top 10 most clutch QB's ever he doesn't even sniff the list.

Some of you guys are crowing Rodgers way too early. He is still at best the 5th best QB until he does it for a couple of more years.

Manning, Brady, Brees, and Big Ben are the best 4 QBs right now.

Manning's not even on the list "right now." Right now, Rodgers is #1.

I think I'd have Brady over Rodgers. Rodgers could be #1 in a few years, but he's not there yet.

2k said those four guys were better than Rodgers "right now." They're not. And to put anyone (though an argument could be made for Brees) over Rodgers "right now" doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you want to talk careers, that's a whole different ballgame. I'd put Brady over Rodgers too. For now.

Rivers beat out Brees in SD, and has made do with less support since.

Brees was an injured free agent. Rivers played behind Brees for two seasons and started only after Brees left. Brees has a ring thanks to a post season where his lowest QBRating was 106.5 and he threw 8TDs to 0Int. Meanwhile Rivers seems to have a bad game every time he makes the post season.

Brees is far ahead of Rivers.

Big Ben extends plays, and throws the deep ball, far better than Brees.

Ben has never thrown for 4,000 or more yards in a season

Brees has never thrown for less than that since he joined the Saints. He's eclipsed 5,000 twice.

Ben has thrown more than 15 TD exactly ONE TIME in his career, 2006 when he had 23.

The last time Drew Brees threw less than 24 touchdowns was 2003.

The Steelers are known as a defensive running team.... which clearly that speaks to Big Ben's dominance as a passer.

Peyton Manning's career already eclipses Brees.

You wrote "Brees is a reach to make the top 5 TODAY"

Manning isn't playing and he's old, so... yeah.

Glad to see at least no one's arguing about Brady and Rodgers being better than Brees. Well, almost.

I said right now today. 5 years ago? Tom Brady who will no doubt go down as one of the greatest ever being that his post season play was outstanding and lead to three superbowl rings. All time I rank him over Brees.
Rodgers has already done more to carry a team than Brees ever has.
Yeah that superbowl win the Saints had where Brees had no rating under 100 in the post season and didn't throw a single pick... that was ALL Reggie Bush.

2k said those four guys were better than Rodgers "right now." They're not. And to put anyone (though an argument could be made for Brees) over Rodgers "right now" doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you want to talk careers, that's a whole different ballgame. I'd put Brady over Rodgers too. For now.

I took it to mean of the guys playing "right now". In terms of this year, yes I'd put Rodgers #1. In terms of guys playing "right now" overall, I'd say Brady

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 04:47 PM ----------

How can you be the best Qb if you have only performed for only 1 or 2 years?

Are you talking about Rodgers?

Archived