Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Report: Gruden preparing to return to coaching in 2012

Andre The Giant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/27/report-gruden-preparing-to-return-to-coaching-in-2012/

Earlier this year, Jon Gruden signed an “exclusive” five-year contract with ESPN, which was scheduled to commence in 2012. And it’s so “exclusive” that Gruden may be gone before the first day of the new deal.

In a thorough and detailed update regarding the coming turmoil in San Diego, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012, and that ESPN is aware of Gruden’s looming departure.

And here’s where it gets even more interesting. Acee reports that, if Rams owner Stan Kroenke fires coach Steve Spagnuolo and G.M. Billy Devaney, Kroenke will attempt to hire Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith (if/when Smith is fired by the Chargers) and Gruden in a package deal that would consist of a guy who never smiles, and a guy who always scowls...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the link to the original San Diego Union-Tribune article which also has Spags landing in Philly as DC.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/26/changes-coming-chargers-brass/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

You'd think Gruden would rather end up in San Diego. He took one team someone else built to the superbowl maybe he can do it again. (and this is not a slam of Gruden, he's a head coach not a GM and if it were easy to take a first year team to the promised land more people would do it).

I hope so, although I have to admit it concerns me with who they may decide to replace him with. For example:

matt%20millen.jpg

:twitch:

Sorry for quoting the pick, I just think in this situation it needs to be said.

This is the biggest idiot announcer of them all.

The nerve of the guy to sit and critique players, a man that was the biggest joke of a GM, on par with Vinnie. I used to respect the guy. What a joke.

I have always found it rather repugnant to see Matt Millen on television, calling games or acting as an NFL "expert" by ESPN. The guy drove Detroit into the ground without remorse or worry. By the end of his tenure there, they had so many first round WRs bust that they could have fielded a team of busted WRs alone. He's an absolute joke, and whenever I hear him criticize ANYBODY (even Dan Snyder) I get pissed. There's no reason Millen should be propped up as some expert, when clearly he is the antithesis. But of course, BSPN hires him right after his unceremonious firing from Detroit. Clearly, he had some kind of dirt on the owner of ESPN - that's the only way he got the job.

:maniac:

Okay, rant over.

You guys are tough. I actually like Millen as an analyst. Yeah he was an awful GM no doubt but he does a good job as an analyst.

I don't mind Gruden in the booth either. He can be a bit over the top but he balances the more traditional Jaws. It's a pretty good combo, I think. To each his own.

I can't stand Gruden on MNF, and this was even before the Romo sits to pee love fest this year. It's like he picks a player from each team and just salivates over them through the entire game. It gets really annoying.

I also hate watching him do the QB coach thing with the young guys. He comes across like a moron. Am I the only one that thinks that?

You guys are tough. I actually like Millen as an analyst. Yeah he was an awful GM no doubt but he does a good job as an analyst.

I don't mind Gruden in the booth either. He can be a bit over the top but he balances the more traditional Jaws. It's a pretty good combo, I think. To each his own.

I strongly agree with you, especially on the Millen take. He's from my "hometown" and back in the mid-90s he came in to the restaurant I worked at. Incredibly polite, well-spoken and gregarious person. As an analyst, I think he's better than many others.

If there is a God, please let this be true. I can't stand to here him talk. It's the worst. I'd rather hear a loop of two cats mating for three hours than hear that ginger asshat go on and on about nothing. Couldn't the just have two people in the booth? Do they really need three?

Archived