Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bible Study Magazine: Away in a Manger (but not in a barn)

drtdrums

http://www.biblestudymagazine.com/preview/NovDec09Manger.pdf

The Nativity Scene

We all know how a nativity scene should look. Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in a stable surrounded by assorted barnyard animals, shepherds and three wise men. The story is performed annually in many children’s Christmas pageants. The night Mary and Joseph arrived in Bethlehem, Joseph took his wife to the village inn, only to hear there was no room—except for a stable. We’ve become quite familiar with this scene, but is it accurate? A close reading of the biblical text informed by the archaeological evidence suggests some adjustments are needed.

The rest of the .pdf is very informative. Great stuff for Christians to read. Figured I'd share.

Merry Christmas

I posted something about this many years ago in a thread that's probably buried in the Extremeskins archives. I had read essentially the same reasoning in a historical commentary on Jesus. At the time, I recall Mardi Gras Skin being skeptical about the author's interpretation of the Greek word as being room rather than inn. Since he had studied Greek and I have not, I couldn't really argue....

Happy Saturnalia, glorious Sol Invictus, Sweet Solstice, Happy Chanukkah, great birth of Mithras...and Merry Christmas.

I posted something about this many years ago in a thread that's probably buried in the Extremeskins archives. I had read essentially the same reasoning in a historical commentary on Jesus. At the time, I recall Mardi Gras Skin being skeptical about the author's interpretation of the Greek word as being room rather than inn. Since he had studied Greek and I have not, I couldn't really argue....

Happy Saturnalia, glorious Sol Invictus, Sweet Solstice, Happy Chanukkah, great birth of Mithras...and Merry Christmas.

Great to hear. I can say with no qualms that the author's point about the Greek text is solid.

Archived