Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barkley Annoucment at 1pm,(4PM EST)

Missin Meast

Which would be stupid for RG3 to go back. He's not going to improve his stock maybe if the footwork but that system isn't changing. If he goes back I wouldn't want him anyway. He would show no logic in his thinking.

Thats why ill be ok even if we didnt get a QB this year. Theres plenty of talent at all positions in this draft.

W

When the Steelers and Packers needed a 1st round QB after down years in 2000s, did they trade picks to get up to Big Ben/Rodgers, or did they wait patiently for him? Had Ben/AR been gone by the time they picked, would it have soiled their draft, or would they have had a backup plan on their QB shopping list?

Oh right, because every QB prospect is equal and has an equal chance of success. I guess Dan LeFevour = Sam Bradford and Colin Kaepernick = Cam Newton, right? Quarterbacks don't matter, they're just interchangable parts. Why, with the right system Ryan Leaf could have been better than Peyton Manning? Or I guess we'll find another Tom Brady, despite the fact that it requires every other team to be dumb.

People don't get that in this day and age, while the QB is not the sole determinant of success, he is the prerequisite. The Jets and Browns have good/great lines, where are they now? The 49ers aren't winning because of their offense,but their defense, and they will be exposed in the playoffs just like every other run first defensive team.

Quarterback first and quarterback whatever it takes.

And btw, where are these huge holes that everyone keeps seeing that justify not investing at QB? I dunno, our mismash of backups and journeymen is looking pretty good at OL lately, imagine when we get our stud LT back (and Trent Williams is a stud, he just needs to stay off the weed) and our solid starting LG, and maybe sign a young FA like Bell to play RT (or maybe Polumbus is that guy already). Last I checked you don't use high 1sts on RTs. I guess people think we need a stud #1 WR like Megatron, but you don't truly need that guy as the Saints and Patriots prove, among others. Certainly, if you think WR is a huge priority then you're not watching the same team I'm watching. CB? Yeah, we could stand an upgrade, but again, I think the Jets would rather have the QB version of Revis and the CB version of Sanchez right now.

I'll wait until later to panic. Too busy now. If RG III stays and Barkley stays, and with Indy already assured of getting Luck, then a number 7 pick for a 2nd or 3rd round QB is crazy - as crazy as keeping Grossman for 2 years if you have one of the top 3. Get Blackmun and a couple of good offensive linemen. Don't settle for the second tier because you can't get the first tier. That's what the Skins have now.

Thats why ill be ok even if we didnt get a QB this year. Theres plenty of talent at all positions in this draft.

Yeah I'm cool with that too. But man these people around here will be going crazy. The media here is horrible and it will be hard to listen to. I can deal with it though especially if we can get the CB, RT, G, WR, FS, ILB and then go in next year draft with atleast an extra 2nd. Then yeah it would be gravy but we will be 8-8 atleast next year if not better. Can you imagine a defense with Kirkpatrick, Lester, and Hightower. And a Oline with Mike Adams, Zeilter or Brandon Washington added to it. Man that would be great.

The Jets and Browns have good/great lines, where are they now?

I don't get this part. The Jets traded up and gave up a decent amount to get Sanchez. If anything the Jets model with Sanchez argues against your point of going after a QB even if there is a high cost associated with the move.

I don't get this part. The Jets traded up and gave up a decent amount to get Sanchez. If anything the Jets model with Sanchez argues against your point of going after a QB at any cost.

They're 8-5, they still might miss the playoffs, and they've looked incredibly underwhelming in a lot of games.

They only traded a 2nd, and it was considered a reach at the time. The point is that you can't win big and consistently with an average QB - if you see a potential franchise QB, you have to do whatever it takes to get him. End of discussion. Building a team around a mediocre QB might give you some nice seasons, but it doesn't buy Super Bowls unless you build a top 5 (of all time, not in the league that year) defense.

They're 8-5, they still might miss the playoffs, and they've looked incredibly underwhelming in a lot of games.

They only traded a 2nd, and it was considered a reach at the time. The point is that you can't win big and consistently with an average QB - if you see a potential franchise QB, you have to do whatever it takes to get him. End of discussion. Building a team around a mediocre QB might give you some nice seasons, but it doesn't buy Super Bowls unless you build a top 5 (of all time, not in the league that year) defense.

He's right. Go look at the QBs on the teams the last 20 years...most are Elite. Mike and Mike went through every super bowl winner and 90% had Elite QBs.

Exactly. People are already posting like it's the end of the world...and they don't even know what the message is from Barkley!

And honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'd be willing for the 'skins not to draft a QB this year if the most sought after QBs decide to stay in school. I don't think you draft the next best QB down the line just be drafting a QB. I think you want the very best and think about how great it would be to use your picks this year to continue building the offensive line, linebackers, secondary, etc....

Just think, if we used the draft to have the very best offensive line in the league, or we somehow will and deal to have the pick(s) needed to land the QB we really wanted. I could live with that.

I'm not saying the Jets are good. I'm saying the opposite. The Jets are average. They aggressively (not just in picks and players, but a top 5 QB contract) moved up for a QB they thought wouldn't be average. They subscribed to your logic and, at least so far, it hasn't worked. Not saying that you're wrong, but using the Jets as an example to illustrate your point doesn't help the cause.

"To select Sanchez, the Jets traded their first and second round selections and three players, Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam and Brett Ratliff, to the Cleveland Browns. Sanchez reached an agreement with the team on June 10, 2009, signing a five-year, $50 million contract, with $28 million guaranteed. It is the largest contract the Jets signed a player to in franchise history."

Yeah I'm cool with that too. But man these people around here will be going crazy. The media here is horrible and it will be hard to listen to. I can deal with it though especially if we can get the CB, RT, G, WR, FS, ILB and then go in next year draft with atleast an extra 2nd. Then yeah it would be gravy but we will be 8-8 atleast next year if not better. Can you imagine a defense with Kirkpatrick, Lester, and Hightower. And a Oline with Mike Adams, Zeilter or Brandon Washington added to it. Man that would be great.

May not even need all of those pieces, honestly. I love Zeitler, great pick in my opinion... But id let Hurt/Lich play it out for guard postion with Zeitler on left side and Monty back at Center. Maybe Adams or Potter at RT. Love the Hightower pick as well... hes got a nice mean streak for ILB. Would love to see him step in for Fletch in years coming. CB is a given, a true #1, and also a true #1 WR. But if someone like Coples were to slide down in the first, then you have to jump on that

Archived