Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock and Roll Collage UPDATE: CLASSIC ROCK station now LIVE

Bang

Howdy

I'm building a website for a classic rock station, and i made a collage of 66 people (or bands) from rock and roll's past.

It serves as the background for the page, and is best veiwed at 1440 x900

Can you name them all?

EDIT: Jan 9

The station is now streaming for any interested. It just started this morning, so I am not sure if it's anything but music,, might not be any deejays there yet.

http://www.classicrockthevault.com/

"Launch primary player' does just that.

~Bang

Theres one guy on there who's face seems to be cut off by the right edge, and it's Gregg Allman.

John Lee Hooker is in there.

All 66 from left to right.. left column first:

Johnny Rotten

Freddie mercury

eric Claption

The Beatles

Jim Morrison

Iggy Pop

Tom Petty

Lou Reed

Jimi Hendrix

Robert Plant

Janis Joplin / Van Morrison

Pete Townshend

Jimmy Page

Bob Marley

Jeff Beck

Pink Floyd

Elton John

Johnny Ramone

Muddy waters

Elvis Costello

Rush

Ozzy

Mick Jagger

Ric Okasek (The Cars)

Ray Davies (The Kinks)

Eric Burden (The Animals)

Stevie Nicks

The red face beside her is Lemmy Kilmister

Tony Iommi

David Lee roth

Robert Smith

the Police

Mark Knopfler

John Mellencamp

Captain Sensible and Dave Vanian (The Damned)

Right column

Jagger and Keith Richard

Bono

Jerry Garcia

Gene Simmons

David Bowie

Eddie Van Halen

Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)

Steven tyler and Joe Perry (Perry's face is slightly cut off)

Bruce Springsteen

Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Gregg Allman's hair

Nancy Wilson (Heart)

John Lee Hooker

Bob Dylan

ZZ Top

Joey ramone

Angus Young

Roger Daltrey

Frank Zappa

Neil Young

Deep Purple

Alice Cooper

Chuck Berry

Stevie ray Vaughn

Peter Frampton

Morrissey

David Johannsen (New York Dolls)

Creedence Clearwater revival

Cheap trick

And that's it.

~Bang

Ah! I knew i forgot someone. I'm probably still going to build onto this as time goes by. It's too much fun, and i can always extend it down.

~Bang

I was half joking but seriously, the 80s and 90s grunge are considered classic now. It's been 20 years since Nevermind came out. Crazy.

Looks great by the way!

I was half joking but seriously, the 80s and 90s grunge are considered classic now. It's been 20 years since Nevermind came out. Crazy.

Looks great by the way!

i could add Perry Farrell, Stone Temple Pilot, Slash, RHCP

who else?

~Bang

i could add Perry Farrell, Stone Temple Pilot, Slash, RHCP

who else?

~Bang

I don't think anyone would be mad with those choices. You might be careful of the glam big hair bands, might get away with Tommy Lee, but I wouldn't go much farther. Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor, Chris Cornell, Dimebag Darryl, Lita Ford, Ronnie Dio, Ted Nugent, Scott Ian, The Edge, Cobain, maybe a lil Metallica for good measure. ;)

Do you guys consider classic rock by age or by genre? I consider it a genre spanning from some point in the 60s to some point in the 70s as opposed to rock that is over 20 years old.

I think of late 60s and 70s rock when thinking Classic Rock but when you put on the station, Soundgarden is playing. So I think you have to classify it by it's age.

I think of late 60s and 70s rock when thinking Classic Rock but when you put on the station, Soundgarden is playing. So I think you have to classify it by it's age.

It's an interesting discussion. I'm sure someone who's say 55, would not consider Nirvana classic rock. But maybe someone in their 30's would be easier to convince. As someone who wasn't old enough to really remember Nirvana, I always considered them grunge and grunge only. Still would be weird putting them in the same genre as say Fleetwood Mac or ZZ Top.

It's an interesting discussion. I'm sure someone who's say 55, would not consider Nirvana classic rock. But maybe someone in their 30's would be easier to convince. As someone who wasn't old enough to really remember Nirvana, I always considered them grunge and grunge only. Still would be weird putting them in the same genre as say Fleetwood Mac or ZZ Top.

Let's start from the beginning.

"Classic Rock" is not a thing. It's a radio format - like Oldies, Adult Contemporary, and Pop.

A Pop radio station in 1984 would be playing a **** ton of Duran and Duran and Men at Work. Ask a teenager today what is "pop" music and I doubt that they say Duran Duran and Men at Work.

"Classic Rock" did not exist until the late 70s/early 80s, because the stations that played the stuff that is now considered "classic rock" were AOR (album-oriented radio) FM stations. (For some strange reason, WKRP in Cincinatti was about an AM station changing to an AOR format, even though that was a really bad move for an AM station in the late 70s).

There were some "Golden Oldies" stations in the 70s. These played Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, etc. Those "Golden Oldies" stations transitioned into "Oldies" stations in the 80s and 90s as they stopped playing hits from the 50s and began playing hits from the 60s. Now, those stations are starting to play the stuff that used to be on Classic Rock, because "Classic Rock" is now - wait for it - Oldies.

I want "Beautiful Music" stations to make a comeback, because the world needs more Chuck Mangione.

Let's start from the beginning.

"Classic Rock" is not a thing. It's a radio format - like Oldies' date=' Adult Contemporary, and Pop.

A Pop radio station in 1984 would be playing a **** ton of Duran and Duran and Men at Work. Ask a teenager today what is "pop" music and I doubt that they say Duran Duran and Men at Work.

"Classic Rock" did not exist until the late 70s/early 80s, because the stations that played the stuff that is now considered "classic rock" were AOR (album-oriented radio) FM stations. (For some strange reason, WKRP in Cincinatti was about an AM station changing to an AOR format, even though that was a really bad move for an AM station in the late 70s).

There were some "Golden Oldies" stations in the 70s. These played Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, etc. Those "Golden Oldies" stations transitioned into "Oldies" stations in the 80s and 90s as they stopped playing hits from the 50s and began playing hits from the 60s. Now, those stations are starting to play the stuff that used to be on Classic Rock, because "Classic Rock" is now - wait for it - Oldies.

I want "Beautiful Music" stations to make a comeback, because the world needs more Chuck Mangione.[/quote']

I decided to Wikipedia it after reading your post and I feel much more enlightened. Thank you.

If Nirvana ends up in the Classic Rock section of Rhapsody I'll be 100% at peace.

I was 16 in 1989. My local "classic rock" station "got the Led out" every Friday night. (I never listened because I - then as now - hated Led Zeppelin). Consider that at the time Led Zeppelin I had come out exactly twenty years prior to that. John Bonham had been dead for nine years.

If I was 16 years old today, Nirvana would be a band whose major album come out exactly 20 years ago from now. Cobain has been dead for 17 years.

(In all honesty, Nirvan's first album came out 24 years ago. Meaning that today we are further away from the birth of Nirvana than 16 year old me was away from the birth of Zeppelin). 24 years from 1989 put me in Yardbirds territory.

Archived