Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Only the 4th sweep since 2002

fuji869

I had mixed emotions. On one hand I was lick HAIL YEA a win.....on the other I was hating that we just helped the cowgirls out and moved the wrong direction on the draft board. I will never wish for a Skins lost, never, but god do I hate helping the cowboys.

I had mixed emotions. On one hand I was lick HAIL YEA a win.....on the other I was hating that we just helped the cowgirls out and moved the wrong direction on the draft board. I will never wish for a Skins lost, never, but god do I hate helping the cowboys.

We didn't "help" anybody. The Giants/Dallas game still settles this division. All we did was make them sweat an extra week, and now we get to eliminate the Eagles. Fine with me.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

This is a huge win in my opinion. This is how streaks start. Let's sweep the Giants again next year.

If we beat the Eagles we split in the division this season. I'd consider that a sign of improvement.

I also picked the Skins to go 7-9 so I'd love to see it.

Id love to see a pro bowl QB as well :cheers:

Since the NFL realigned in 2002 the Redskins have only swept their NFC East Opponents 4 Times and twice were in 2005.

2005 Dallas 13-7 & 35-7

2005 Philadelphia 17-10 & 31-20

2007 Philadelphia 23-17 & 10-3

2011 New York Giants 28-14 & 23-10

twice were in 2005? what does that mean...

---------- Post added December-19th-2011 at 02:47 AM ----------

Since the NFL realigned in 2002 the Redskins have only swept their NFC East Opponents 4 Times and twice were in 2005.

2005 Dallas 13-7 & 35-7

2005 Philadelphia 17-10 & 31-20

2007 Philadelphia 23-17 & 10-3

2011 New York Giants 28-14 & 23-10

and also, the score of the game against dallas was not 13-7, it was 14-13 (monday night miracle)

Small nit to pick. The Eagle sweep was 2008 not 07. We lost at the former JKC in 07 to Philly. It was Sean Taylor's last game.

As for this sweep. I do think it's a pretty big deal. The measuring stick for me has been the Giants. The Skins have now not only swept them but kind of dominated them in both games. This is a sign of significant progress for the Skins.

The Giants/Dallas game still settles this division......

Quite possibly for the Eagles! Of course, it would be pretty funny if, at the same time as the 7-8 Giants were beating the 8-7 Cowboys, the 6-9 Skins beat the 7-8 Eagles, thus depriving Philly of the title (although the real possibility of an 8-8 NFC East champ is a bit embarrassing).

IIRC, Over the last 40 years, sweeps of the Giants have usually coincided with us winning the division. This is something like only the 3rd time over that period that we've swept them and not even gone to the playoffs.

This is sad for the NFC-E. As bad as we are, do you realize that we are just 2 plays out of division contention and just 4 from having the division all but locked down? That there is a significant probability that a 500 team wins the division?

As for this sweep. I do think it's a pretty big deal. The measuring stick for me has been the Giants. The Skins have now not only swept them but kind of dominated them in both games. This is a sign of significant progress for the Skins.

Or just that the Giants have owned us for so long they are starting to look past us on their schedule, which didn't work for them this season as they are less talented in both their run game and their overall defense.

IIRC, Over the last 40 years, sweeps of the Giants have usually coincided with us winning the division. This is something like only the 3rd time over that period that we've swept them and not even gone to the playoffs.

The last time the Redskins Swept was 1996 (31-10 & 31-21), Skins started 7-1 only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. :doh:

The last time the Redskins Swept was 1996 (31-10 & 31-21), Skins started 7-1 only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. :doh:

1999 was the last time we swept them; we won the division that year (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1999.htm). Sweeps of the Giants in years we didn't go to the playoffs: George Allen in 1975, Pardee in 1978 and 1980, Turner in 1996, Shanahan in 2011. OK, the fourth time we've swept them since 1971 that we failed to make the playoffs. 6 of our 7 division crowns came in years when we swept them and only once did we go into the playoffs without beating them once in the regular season. There is NO other NFC-East team over that period that has been so strongly correlated.

We didn't "help" anybody. The Giants/Dallas game still settles this division. All we did was make them sweat an extra week, and now we get to eliminate the Eagles. Fine with me.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Did the win move Dallas into first place? I forget...... its all conceptional in the moment. That day at that time we did.

Archived