Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

A pub crawl in North Korea? Tour operator offers St Patrick's Day party like no other

Some cities dye their rivers green (looking at you, Chicago), others light up the sky with emerald fireworks, but across the globe, St Patrick’s Day is universally celebrated with a drink or two.

And it seems in North Korea it is no different.

Although the Foreign Office advises against visiting North Korea, in March 2020, Cambridgeshire-based Smiling Grape Adventure Tours will be taking guests to Pyongyang for a St Patrick’s Day pub crawl, after Kim Jong-un gave permission for the celebration. 

As part of a five day trip to the reclusive state, visitors will visit around six different drinking locations on March 17, including a bowling alley and a diplomat’s club for expats. 

North Korea has a reputation for brutal totalitarianism, but Matt Ellis, director of the tour operator, is keen to show another side to the country’s people. 

Speaking to Telegraph Travel, Ellis said: “Taking customers to community drinking spots to actually meet the locals is a good way to get insight into people’s lives and different cultures. Alcohol helps to bring down the barriers slightly, which helps.” 

Click on the link for the full article

35 minutes ago, PCS said:

"Stop talking abut Biden!  Talk about me!  Look, I did what you told me to do.  I cancelled the military exercises that my country has been running for 50 years, as part of their commitment to defend them from you, because of the last time your country tried to invade them.  And I followed the commands of a dictator over the needs of my long-term allies.  So won't you please come back and give me some more photo ops?"  

1 hour ago, DoneMessedUp said:

So South Korea just signed a defense agreement with China... 

Well......guess it's time to pull out all 28,500 U.S. troops from South Korea and see just how much China has their backs when/if N. Korea invades.  Was $5 billion too steep a price?  I dunno, but if they are wealthy enough to afford it like one article I read said they were, I don't see any reason for them to not take on more of the total cost than they were currently doing.  

It's said that we want them to take over more categories in the total cost than they have been, if that figure comes out to $5 billion, well, what do ya do?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DoneMessedUp said:

So South Korea just signed a defense agreement with China... 

You have got to be ****ing kidding me! Why are we still allowing this administration to address diplomacy? This is catastrophic! This may possibly be the worst self inflicted blow to American democratic diplomacy Ever; second only to the inside job on Syria. 

10 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Well......guess it's time to pull out all 28,500 U.S. troops from South Korea and see just how much China has their backs when/if N. Korea invades.  Was $5 billion too steep a price?  I dunno, but if they are wealthy enough to afford it like one article I read said they were, I don't see any reason for them to not take on more of the total cost than they were currently doing.  

It’s not about whether they can afford it. It’s about establishing an ally in the East against the proliferation of the CCP. 

So in one week we cancel military exercises that are established as a show of strength and unity against NK ( and subsequently China), allow the NK leader to control all demands in the region, let China begin shipping Democratic HK citizens off in trains, and watch as SK bring in China for protection ( Against China). **** me. Are there any adults in the admin now? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's said that we want them to take over more categories in the total cost than they have been, if that figure comes out to $5 billion, well, what do ya do?

You think it's about the cost, or the fact that they can't trust us to keep our word about well...anything.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, visionary said:

You think it's about the cost, or the fact that they can't trust us to keep our word about well...anything.

I'm just saying what is done is done, regardless if we didn't like how it all went down.  They made a decision to not pay $5 billion and instead turned to China and struck a defense deal.  To me, it's their problem and China's problem now.  Pull out all 28,500 troops and let them deal with it all.  

Edit:  and by pull out the troops, I mean when the end of the current one year agreement is up.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

17 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm just saying what is done is done, regardless if we didn't like how it all went down.  They made a decision to not pay $5 billion and instead turned to China and struck a defense deal.  To me, it's their problem and China's problem now.  Pull out all 28,500 troops and let them deal with it all.  

Edit:  and by pull out the troops, I mean when the end of the current one year agreement is up.  

Sounds like a terrible idea for SK, us, and the world, but I wouldn't put it past us.  Also nothing is done.

39 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Because that worked so well for Syria and the Kurds? 

Pulling out of South Korea would immediately destabilize the region. We are there specifically to deter China, just as we are in Ukraine to deter Russia. What do you think Japan is going to think about this? 

On 11/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Sure.  And no way other US allies aren't watching with great interest at how the Trump administration is handling one of their staunchest ally in a strategically key region of the World.  It's okay though.  US still has a base in Japan.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/15/trump-asks-tokyo-quadruple-payments-us-troops-japan/

Trump Asks Tokyo to Quadruple Payments for U.S. Troops in Japan

Oops

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

The South Koreans played this one well.

I mean I'm shocked.  Where would the South Koreans possibly get the idea that US would consider even a partial withdrawal?

https://www.google.com/amp/m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php%3fud=20191120000083

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper refused to speculate when asked Tuesday whether the US would consider reducing troops in South Korea short of a deal on defense cost-sharing.

Esper was asked the question during a briefing with reporters near Manila, the Philippines, after the US walked out of defense cost-sharing negotiations with South Korea in Seoul.

"I'm not going to prognosticate or speculate on what we may or may not do," Esper said when asked what steps the US would take if no deal is reached before the end of the year, and whether the US would consider reducing forces in the South.

"The State Department has the lead in these discussions, and I'm sure they are in capable hands. We just take this one step at a time," Esper continued, in footage of the press conference posted on the Pentagon's website.

I mean with reassuring words like that why would the South Koreans get skittish at all?

• 2 weeks later...

North Korea: US will choose what 'Christmas gift' it wants

North Korea said on Tuesday that it’s up to the U.S. to choose what “Christmas gift” it wants from Pyongyang as an end-of-year deadline for nuclear talks inches closer.

Ri Thae Song, a North Korean vice foreign minister handling U.S. affairs, emphasized in a statement that the Trump administration is running out of time to salvage the talks and offer a deal that the two can agree on, The Associated Press reports.

“The dialogue touted by the U.S. is, in essence, nothing but a foolish trick hatched to keep the DPRK bound to dialogue and use it in favor of the political situation and election in the U.S.,” Ri said in comments reported by state media, using the acronym for North Korea's official name. “What is left to be done now is the U.S. option and it is entirely up to the U.S. what Christmas gift it will select to get.”

Ri added that North Korea has no intention of resuming talks unless it gets something significant in return, the AP reports.

Click on the link for the full article