Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@SkinsGoldPants

I'm going to guess it came with the creation of the whole "juche" thing. That separated them from the normal Communist governments.

(And I'm not sure I would say Libya wasn't a bit nutty too. You ever read any of Gaddafi's "Green Book" that they made everyone learn in school? Some of that was pretty out there.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Here is a rarity: Me admitting that I don't know something.

When did the world determine that North Korea was a complete and total basket case of a country as opposed to just your typical dictatorship built around a cult of personality (like Cuba or Lybia)? I say this because I remember reading articles in the mid to late 80s on the brutal military rule in SOUTH Korea but don't really remember anything about North Korea.

I think you can drive yourself crazy trying to view these events rationally. This is probably your regularly scheduled purge that any new dictator has to have.

IMO it was Bush's Axis of Evil speech

The Bush administration did a terrible job selling North Korea as a terrorist state, as everyone immediately scratched their heads and wondered why NK was being lumped in with Iran etc.. North Korea has been engaged in state sponsored terrorism for decades.

IMO it was Bush's Axis of Evil speech

The Bush administration did a terrible job selling North Korea as a terrorist state, as everyone immediately scratched their heads and wondered why NK was being lumped in with Iran etc.. North Korea has been engaged in state sponsored terrorism for decades.

I think it was before that. The Clinton Administration seemed to get very interested in North Korea in the mid-90s and it seemed to be almost out of nowhere. But I could be wrong.

(I could have sworn I read that the original axis of evil included Syria, but North Korea was added so it would not be a list of Muslim countries).

I think it was before that. The Clinton Administration seemed to get very interested in North Korea in the mid-90s and it seemed to be almost out of nowhere. But I could be wrong.

(I could have sworn I read that the original axis of evil included Syria, but North Korea was added so it would not be a list of Muslim countries).

I think every administration has taken an interest. I was in North Korea in the 1980s it wasn't any less of a hotbed then.

Over the last 10 years it feels like much of the third world is awakening... South America, Southeast Asia, China, Eastern Europe, and even parts of Africea. Yet there is this one holdout regime going backwards. I find that fascinating and I want to know more. The fact that we cannot know I think drives up demand

• 2 weeks later...

North Korea rescinds invitation to US envoy

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea has canceled for a second time its invitation for a senior U.S. envoy to visit the country to discuss a long-detained American's possible release, the State Department said Monday.

The cancellation comes only days after detained American missionary Kenneth Bae told a pro-Pyongyang newspaper that he expected to meet this month with the envoy. It signals an apparent protest of upcoming annual military drills between Washington and Seoul and an alleged mobilization of U.S. nuclear-capable B-52 bombers during training near the Korean Peninsula. North Korea calls the planned drills a rehearsal for invasion, a claim the allies deny.

The State Department also said in a statement that civil rights leader the Rev. Jesse Jackson has offered to travel to North Korea at the request of Bae's family. The State Department did not elaborate and referred questions to Jackson, whose spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Analysts say North Korea has previously used detained Americans as leverage in its standoff with the U.S. over its nuclear and missile programs; North Korea denies this.

Bae has been held in North Korea for 15 months. The North accused him of smuggling in inflammatory literature and trying to establish a base for anti-government activities at a border city hotel.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

N. Korea patrol boat violated maritime border: South

Seoul (AFP) - A North Korean patrol boat repeatedly crossed the disputed Yellow Sea border with the South in an apparent show of force at the start of South Korea-US military drills, Seoul's defence ministry said Tuesday.

The incursion took place three times overnight Monday and at one point the North Korean naval vessel had reached two nautical miles inside the South side of the border.

No shots were fired and the patrol boat eventually retreated after warnings from the South Korean navy, defence ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok said.

"We suspect this is aimed at testing our military preparedness", Kim told reporters, saying it was apparent that the vessel had "intentionally violated" the boundary.

North Korean incursions over the maritime border -- which it does not officially recognise -- are not unusual and there were at least three last year.

This was the first such incident in 2014 and it came as South Korea and the United States on Monday launched their annual joint military exercises, which Pyongyang routinely condemns as rehearsals for invasion.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews

State news agency: North Korea to expel Australian Christian missionary arrested earlier - @Reuters

6:16 PM

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews

North Korea fires 2 short-range missiles from east coast, says South Korea's defense ministry - @YonhapNews http://bit.ly/1dd7rvf    

6:34 PM

I think this is the second time in a few days.

North Korea confirms it has landed a man on the Sun

This just in: North Korea has landed a man on the Sun. 17-year-old Hung Il Gong started his journey at 3am this morning, travelling alone, to reach our nearest star, a journey that took him just 4 hours.

A North Korean central news anchorman said during a live broadcast: "We are very delighted to announce a successful mission to put a man on the sun. North Korea has beaten every other country in the world to the sun. Hung Il Gong is a hero and deserves a hero's welcome when he returns home later this evening".

35032_02_north_korea_confirms_it_has_lan

What a North Korean news anchorman may look like

Edited by China
  • Like 1

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21598712-worlds-vilest-regime-flirts-economic-reform-better-tomorrow?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/bettertomorrow

Better tomorrow?

CAN you be both the world’s most brutal wielder of state terror and a fan of economic opening? Kim Jong Un, North Korea’s ruler, appears to be having a go. Three months ago Mr Kim suddenly purged his immensely powerful uncle by marriage, Jang Sung Taek, and had him executed, supposedly for treason. Now the young dictator may have purged the other regent who oversaw the leadership succession after Mr Kim’s father, Kim Jong Il, died in late 2011. Choe Ryong Hae, who had the rank of marshal (though a civilian), was reckoned to be the second-most powerful man in the country. He has not been seen in public since February 16th, and rumours are swirling about his fate.

With such ruthlessness, Mr Kim may have found his inner Stalin. Yet tantalising hints are also multiplying that the government is getting serious about economic reforms of the kind that were anathema to Kim Jong Il. Last year it was announced that over a dozen economic-development zones around the country would be established—the kind of zones, inviting foreign investment, which set China’s economy alight in the late 1970s. Astonishingly, the government has also praised an experiment in family-based farming, seeming to hint at a loosening of the strictures of collectivised agriculture. A building boom is changing the skyline of Pyongyang, the capital. And a once-closed country is welcoming foreign visitors. In January a ski resort, Masikryong, opened its doors. It was built in record time, and supposedly to international standards. The country’s army, government institutions and decrepit enterprises are being urged to dive into their work with “Masikryong speed”.

Much remains unclear, including the motivation for such changes (in North Korea at least, never use the R-word—reform). Could it even be that the regime wants to improve the lot of ordinary folk? North Korea’s economic backwardness is surely a growing embarrassment to its administrators, increasingly aware of the outside world, through the North’s trade with China and from growing knowledge about vibrant South Korea. Some are being versed, thanks to foreign assistance programmes, in modern administration and basic financial theory. Pressure for change within the system is growing, and competition for scarce foreign investment is intense.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/16/world/asia/nkorea-missile-launches/index.html

North Korea fires short-range rockets, sources say

North Korea has fired 25 short-range rockets from its east coast into open water, in what appears to be a "provocative" action, a South Korean Ministry of National Defense spokesman said Sunday.

"We evaluate it as a firing demonstration in response to the joint drill between South Korea and the U.S. We are currently additionally analyzing its intention," said spokesman Kim Min-Seok, warning, "North Korea should halt any actions that can stir military tension and create uneasiness to the neighboring countries."

South Korean officials said earlier that the North had fired only 10 rockets.

The rockets appear to FROGs, which stands for "Free Rockets Over Ground." They were developed in the Soviet Union before the advent of missiles, Kim said.

"It does not have a guidance system and is (a) free-fall system. North Korea had developed it in the '60s," the spokesman said.

North Korea defector: I saw dogs rip children to pieces in camp

Ahn Myong-Chol witnessed many horrors as a North Korean prison camp guard, but few haunt him like the image of guard dogs attacking school children and tearing them to pieces.

Ahn, who worked as a prison camp guard for eight years until he fled the country in 1994, recalls the day he saw three dogs get away from their handler and attack children coming back from the camp school.

"There were three dogs and they killed five children," the 45-year-old told AFP through a translator.

"They killed three of the children right away. The two other children were barely breathing and the guards buried them alive," he said, speaking on the sidelines of a Geneva conference for human rights activists.

The next day, instead of putting down the murderous dogs, the guards pet them and fed them special food "as some kind of award," he added with disgust.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/22/us-korea-north-missiles-idUSBREA2L01020140322?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=992637

North Korea fires 30 short-range rockets: Yonhap

North Korea fired 30 short-range rockets into the sea off the east of the Korean peninsula early on Saturday, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported, citing the Joint Chiefs of Staff in South Korea.

The rockets, which are believed to be old Soviet-developed FROG rockets that North Korea has had since the 1960s, flew for 60 km (37 miles) before crashing into the sea, Yonhap said.

Six days ago, North Korea had fired 25 short-range rockets into the sea off its east coast.

South Korea believes the short-range rocket launches conducted by North Korea this month are an "armed protest" against the South Korean-U.S. military drills that are currently taking place.

This is like the fourth time in the past 30 days. Numbers seem to be increasing too. 

Edited by visionary

This is like the fourth time in the past 30 days. Numbers seem to be increasing too.

I'm thinking it sure is nice of them to conduce these launches when we have all those assets, nearby, to monitor them.

Bet we're getting lots and lots of "game film" for the coaches to study.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/03/north-korea-china-is-a-turncoat-and-our-enemy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+the-diplomat+%28The+Diplomat+RSS%29

North Korea: China is a ‘Turncoat and our Enemy’

North Korea has hung signs denouncing China in one of its premier military academies, according to a report in a South Korean newspaper.

Chosun Ilbo, a conservative South Korean newspaper, reports that a sign in North Korea’s Kang Kon Military Academy states that China is a “turncoat and our enemy.” The newspaper bases the reports on “sources” without any further identification information. It quotes another source as saying: “”The position of the North Korean regime is to use China, but not trust it.”

The fact that the newspaper has not provided any further identification information about its sources have led some to criticize Chosun Ilbo and doubt the accuracy of the report. However, calling China a “turncoat and our enemy” would hardly be unprecedented for North Korea. Indeed, the phrase is a quote from Kim Il-Sung, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s (DPRK) eternal president, who uttered it shortly after China established diplomatic relations with South Korea in 1992. After that, banners bearing the phrase were hung on the walls of the Kang Kon Military Academy for three years until 1995. The same banners were temporarily re-hung on the walls of the Kang Kon Military Academy after North Korea’s second nuclear test in 2009.

According to the Chosun Ilbo report, “North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered the signs displayed again at the academy after China joined UN Security Council sanctions last year over the North’s long-range missiles and third nuclear test.”

However, Ahn Chan-il, president of the World Institute for North Korea Studies, told NK News, a subscription service reporting on North Korea, that if the new reports are true, “a meeting of two presidents from South Korea and China has likely affected North Korea’s decision to hang the sign again.”

Ahn continued: “China has successfully adopted a market economy while maintaining its communist idea. But Pyongyang knows it will be impossible for North Korea to do same thing…. That’s why North Korea is afraid of China’s influence, and hanging the sign is one of its efforts to resist any kind of influence from China.”

I always get a good giggle whenever someone tells me that North Korea is nothing more than China's puppet, and every time NK does something stupid/evil it is because China told them to mess with us.  It's such a preciously simplistic view of world affairs.    :lol:

Edited by Predicto

I always get a good giggle whenever someone tells me that North Korea is nothing more than China's puppet, and every time NK does something stupid/evil it is because China told them to mess with us.  It's such a preciously simplistic view of world affairs.    :lol:

Would you dispute that China allows NK to go on being bat**** crazy to serve their own ends? It would take about 12 minutes for China to solve the whole issue if they really wanted or needed to.

Would you dispute that China allows NK to go on being bat**** crazy to serve their own ends? It would take about 12 minutes for China to solve the whole issue if they really wanted or needed to.

No, that really is not true.  Not unless you are talking about China suddenly dealing with out 20 million refugees and suddenly having US troops right on their border, neither of which are things that China wants to happen.   

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/n-korea-test-fires-two-medium-range-missiles-214515139.html

N. Korea test-fires missiles as Obama hosts summit

North Korea test-fired two ballistic missiles Wednesday, as US President Barack Obama hosted a landmark Japan-South Korea summit and pledged "unwavering commitment" to Tokyo and Seoul's security concerns in the face of Pyongyang's nuclear threat.

South Korea's defence ministry said both missiles flew 650 kilometres (400 miles) into the Sea of Japan, upping the ante after a series of short-range missile and rocket launches by the North in recent weeks.

A ministry spokesman told AFP the missiles were believed to be Rodong variants, which are considered medium-range at their maximum reach of between 1,000 and 1,500 kilometres.

UN Security Council resolutions prohibit North Korea from conducting any ballistic missile tests.

Over the past four weeks, North Korea has conducted multiple launches of short-range Scud missiles and rockets to coincide with the annual joint military drills South Korea is conducting with the United States.

The Scuds are at the longer edge of the short-range spectrum, with an estimated reach of 300-800 kilometres -- capable of striking any target in the South.

South Korea condemned the Scud launches as a "reckless provocation" but both Seoul and Washington stopped short of calling for UN sanctions, given the short-range of the missiles and a recent easing of North-South tensions.

If the missiles launched on Wednesday are confirmed to be Rodongs, observers said it would lay down a challenge to the international community to consider sanctions.