Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

52 minutes ago, Bang said:

as we've seen in this country, propaganda works. And right now, because Trump said so, it's working on his base towards a country who is currently in a state of war in which we are involved directly. Of many things we fight over in this country, NK was one thing we ALL pretty much agreed on. Bad guys. Enemies. )

I full acknowledge it works.  Its what has kept Kim in power for 70 years.

It works on North Koreans.  If we are heading into diplomacy with what the Nk people might be fed, weve already lost.  Just be another 70 years* of `not recognizing tyranny`  

*unless the world blows up first

41 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Ultimately, I think Donald Trump is incapable of doing anything but these photo-op styles summit's that accomplish nothing long-term.

Denuclearization isn't happening. And normalization seems like a pipe dream considering we are entering a trade war with our allies.

Unfair trade practices against the united states by our allies might be the only thing ive agreed with trump on so far.  Im not sure i even agree with meeting with NK, this has all the makings of a disaster.  But, Im actively rooting for Trump and my country to succeed.  Tahts the inherent difference

I watched cnn for about an hour last night.  All i heard about was the shrewdness of the north korean negotiaters and leadership.  What about our guys?  Last i checked the nsa and cia have some pretty damn sharp people working for them.  I really wonder what kind of intelligence we gained, if nothing else, from this summit.  Kim brought his own ****ter because he knew his turds would be stolen.  Guarantee we had an army of inelligence swarming the entire city.

Not even mentioning the south koreans and their resources

Anyways, intersting footnote

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So other than PR, what has actually happened here?

Nothing, like 99 percent of politics (and trump hysteria)

20 minutes ago, zoony said:

Unfair trade practices against the united states by our allies might be the only thing ive agreed with trump on so far.

The fundamental problem is that we do similar things.  We complain about their dairy tariffs, and they complain about us subsidizing agriculture through the farm bill, state and local green space initiatives, and things like SNAP.

https://www.milkbusiness.com/article/canada-73-of-us-milk-price-subsidized

Who is actually worse?  I don't know, and it isn't straight forward, but I guarantee you rural America doesn't want to see the Canadian supply-management system dismantled for the support they get from the Farm Bill.

(Same thing with respect to cars and other country.  We complain about tariffs, but we also continually bail out our auto industry, which is just another form of protectionism.)

Edited by PeterMP

I believe some people are overthinking this as far as what Trump was trying to get for us.

Remember, with Trump, everything is about Trump and nobody else, not even the country. So asking what the US got is essentially meaningless here as far as motive and goals. "What did Trump get?" is the important question. And what Trump got was a "win"...at least in his and his supporters minds. He gets to say he did something no other president could do (any other president could have done it but they decided not to for a long list of reasons), he gets to say he single-handedly made NK denuclearize (they absolutely won't, and add to that that the language in this "agreement" is insanely weak and NK has broken much more stringent and detailed denuclearization agreements before), he gets to do a victory lap after basically doing nothing, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some talk in there about Trump properties in NK so he might have gotten that too.

Our country got essentially nothing, NK got some huge PR and propaganda wins (not just the meeting itself on equal footing but Trump practically lavishing praise on him during and after the meeting) as well as a concession from POTUS that we'll stop war exercises with SK (South Korea be like "WTF?" right now). But none of that matters in the slightest to Trump. What matters is what he got and he got plenty.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1

Everything about that meeting yesterday screams "Trump"  It was a photo op coupled with typical Trump anecdotes about how no one else could do this, how it's the greatest thing ever, historic....how he formed some kind of unbreakable bond with Kim after knowing him for a few hours.....it's everything we have seen from Trump when it comes to how he likes to shape narratives with little to no actual substance.

Don't get me wrong, if this is actually start of something worthwhile, then I will accept all the Trumpism aspects of what went into this, however, for the time being, color me skeptical. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zoony said:

Unfair trade practices against the united states by our allies might be the only thing ive agreed with trump on so far.  Im not sure i even agree with meeting with NK, this has all the makings of a disaster.  But, Im actively rooting for Trump and my country to succeed.  Tahts the inherent difference

Our allies, particularly Canada with who we actually have a trade surplus, is hardly the problem. The US has a massive export industry that trades with the EU, Mexico and Canada. 

There is one country in this world that has completely ****ed the US on trade and IP theft and that is China. Trump seems to be a total chicken hawk when it comes to countries with authoritarians who meddle in our internal and external affairs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, visionary said:

The American voter gifted Donald Trump to Xi Jingping. 

China is doing what the US did in the 20th century. Look at the One-Belt and One-Road Initiative. They are going to be flexing their economic might globally at a time when the US seems to be doing its best to regress into an isolated, protectionist state.

Edited by No Excuses

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

And NK/China will absolutely use that stupid impromptu promise as leverage now and undoubtedly NK will use it in the future as an "excuse" for not denuclearizing (not like they were going to anyway but this gives them some cover of legitimacy for breaking the promise). Trump, you done ****ed up, son.