Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

On 3/20/2017 at 1:37 PM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

When I went onto fox news about a week ago, the top 6 articles were about North Korea. 

Pretty sure Bannon/Trump/Boening/Northrop/Ratheon/Lockheed et al will be bombing North Korea within the next 6 months. 

Only question I have is whether Bannon will seek congressional approval for military intervention or if he will claim he has the powers under the 9/11 or some mix of "imminent threat and national security" talk.  

I just dont think they can pull off a preemptive strike.  Seoul is within artillery range, youre not stopping that with any kind of missile defense

I do give the Trump administration credit for the idea to start sanctioning chinese companies who are doing business with and enabling the DPRK.  This puts the pressure on the chinese where it should have been all along

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stranger than fiction: How forbidden book was smuggled out of N. Korea

Seoul (CNN)They say fact is stranger than fiction. One book smuggled out of North Korea encapsulates both.

Written by a dissident writer still living inside the country, "The Accusation; Forbidden Stories from Inside North Korea" is a collection of short stories about the lives of regular people, who live without freedom and under constant scrutiny.

Officially fiction, the book is considered to be a reflection of life under North Korean rule. The author is known simply as "Bandi", Korean for firefly, a pen name he apparently chose himself.

The South Korean activist who helped smuggle it out, Do Hee-youn, tells CNN: "It doesn't deal with political prison camps, or public executions, human rights issues. It shows normal life of North Korea citizens and it is very frightening. This book shows that they live like slaves."

The book was first published in Korean in May 2014, and translated into French in 2015. It was published last month in the United States and United Kingdom and is now available in 19 languages.

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...

North Korea detains U.S. citizen; at least 3rd American being held

A U.S. citizen has been arrested in North Korea, raising to three the number of Americans now detained by Kim Jong Un's regime and adding to rising tensions between Washington and Pyongyang.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported that a former Korean-American professor was arrested at Pyongyang International Airport as he was attempting to leave the country.

Yonhap described Kim as a former professor at the Yanbian University of Science and Technology in Yanji, Jilin, China. Yonhap said Kim, in his late 50s, had been involved in aid programs in North Korea. The reason for his arrest was not immediately available.

The U.S. State Department said it was aware of reports that an American had been detained but declined to reveal details.

"The protection of U.S. citizens is one of the Department's highest priorities," the State Department said in a statement. "In cases where U.S. citizens are reported to be detained in North Korea, we work with the Swedish Embassy, which serves as the United States' Protecting Power in North Korea."

• 1 month later...

North Korean missiles ‘used Russian parts’ amid expert warnings of nuclear threat

Pyongyang shocked the world earlier this month after it launched a Hwasong 12 missile, indicating the hermit state has taken large strides in its quest to develop an ICBM.

Officials from the North said the missile flew just over 1,300 miles (2,100 km), making it more than capable of striking a target such as the Japanese capital of Tokyo.

Senior US defence figures have expressed concern over the progress of nuke-obsessed tyrant Kim Jong-un’s nuclear programme.

These fears were repeated by Mr Elleman, who predicted the North could develop a nuclear missile in just over three years.

He added: “I don't foresee an operationally viable ICBM before 2020, maybe 2021.

“For emergency use, they could shorten that timeframe, but at the risk that one or a large fraction of their missile force would fail.”

Other senior figures have warned Kim could launch an “electromagnetic pulse” attack on the US, causing nation-wide blackouts.

Tensions over North Korea were ramped up yesterday after Donald Trump’s government blacklisted two Russian firms over their alleged support for Pyongyang’s weapons programme.

The Moscow-based companies are accused of acting as a supplier to North Korean companies involved in the country’s missile production campaign.

4 hours ago, Bang said:

Well, that's nice. Now Donald can quit worrying so much about how his Soviet pals feel about those missile launches.

So much fun being a pawn.

~Bang

What about his Japanese and South Korean pals?

What about them?
Trump puts them in more danger than Un does. Un won't attack them unless provoked into having to do something to show off his dick. He's a despot who requires adulation and undying fealty, and to have that you need to have a reputation among your people, real or not. , Damage that and he may act..  but otherwise, it is not in his best interest to have any of these missiles land anywhere near anyone.

North Korea does these tests for two reasons.

1. to try to sell the missiles and payload, and so long as we keep up embargos and blockades, he's been unsuccessful.

2. and more importantly, these things are how Kim keeps power. Despots like him require fear and loyalty, and the best way to have them is to have an enemy that the all powerful leaders protects them from.

That's us. Every time he shoots one of them off, he tells his people he's just blown more of us out of the water while we tried to invade, or he's just struck at the heart of America.

They don't know any better, they live in fear of us, and through us, reverence of him. (and those who do know shut up because of fear of him.)
if we attack them, we are exactly what they've been conditioned to believe we are. They fully believe we are the aggressors and always have been. They are four generations into a complete indoctrination in the church of Kim, the miracle leader and his offspring, godlike beings. Those who remember life before are gone. 

Dopey Donald's playing his ****ing games and giving him those things. 

AND, i might add, Dopey Donald is using them for the same purpose as Un uses us.

Let's play a scenario.

Kim Jong Un attacks, and he kills a ****load of people in south Korea and japan.

We then kill every north korean in existence in about an hour. Well, maybe not every one, but you can count very quickly the total number of north koreans NOT in north korea.  Certainly NO forces of any note are anywhere outside their borders.

His country is the size of Illinois. if Donny stays true to form in this scenario, a few nukes and thirty minutes later there is no north korea left for Un to rule, even if he survives. And what fun is that? un doesn't want that, he wants a people to rule, he wants to be the top dog, and right now he is. Why jeopardize it all in a fight he could not possibly win? He has all he wants.

All this of course sets off world war 3 over kim Jong Un and his poverty ridden worthless police state. I doubt the russians or Chinese would really want that, would they? To what purpose? 

Right now, Un is a nice little way to keep us off balance. here are some old parts.Build a rocket and set it off, and watch the US react.

Why give that up when the campaign of fear works so well to accomplish their goals?

Treat un like a petulant child, and make certain none of his ships carry anything that can be sold, like we've been doing. Because like a child, if he knows he can push our buttons, he will. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang

If Un was assassinated I think the military would seize total control, and continue the same game, with the strongest of them trying to succeed the great leader. 

Or China would invade to restore order and claim it with a puppet installed... and keep up the same games.

~Bang

• 3 weeks later...

Otto Warmbier dies days after release from North Korean detainment

Otto Warmbier, the University of Virginia student who was detained in North Korea for nearly a year and a half, died Monday afternoon, his parents announced.

Fred and Cindy Warmbier had no news about their son during his detention after March of last year. He was not allowed consular visits, and it was not until this month that U.S. officials and the family were told that he had been in a coma for more than a year. He was medically evacuated, landed in Cincinnati on Tuesday night and was rushed to the hospital.

On Thursday, doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center said that the 22-year-old Otto Warmbier had extensive loss of brain tissue, and was in a state of unresponsive wakefulness.

That morning Fred Warmbier denounced what he called the “pariah” regime that brutalized his son.

I have sympathy for the family of the young man murdered in North Korea. No person should suffer the way he did, but NO American should EVER go to North Korea except on the strictest government business. We've known what North Korea is like for almost 70 years. People can't just take a wrong turn and stumble on North Korea. To get there, people have to want to go there, for reasons I cannot fathom. Even for people who actually want to go there, it's an arduous journey. Having said that, I've actually been to North Korea, on government business in uniform, for about 45 seconds. While on active duty stationed in South Korea, I visited Panmunjom where peace talks have been going on since 1951. It sits on the border between the two countries. The border goes right through a conference room. In the middle of the conference room, the border runs right through a conference table where both sides in negotiations can sit on their respective sides of the border and argue. While no conferences were being held at the time, we were allowed to walk to the North Korean side of the conference room and back. After just a few seconds, I couldn't wait to get back to my side of the room.

Edited by LeesburgSkinFan
Spelling
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The tour agency that organized his trip is now saying they will no longer take Americans to NK, saying Warambier's death shows they are at a high risk there.

So, they're just now figuring this out ?

I wanna think that's from The Onion, but I know It's true.  

19 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So NK has now essentially killed a US citizen.  Can we go ahead and kick off WW3 yet?

If that was a criteria for war, we'd be at war with half the planet.

• Like 1

While I feel bad that he passed away, this kid was not a political martyr.

The doofus went to North Korea and acted like an asshole and thought his US passport could get him out of trouble. He did not deserve to die, and we don't know what killed him, but him spending time in prison was nothing to me. Don't go to a foreign country and act like an asshole who is above the law and you won't end up in prison.

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

While I feel bad that he passed away, this kid was not a political martyr.

The doofus went to North Korea and acted like an asshole and thought his US passport could get him out of trouble. He did not deserve to die, and we don't know what killed him, but him spending time in prison was nothing to me. Don't go to a foreign country and act like an asshole who is above the law and you won't end up in prison.

I don't think taking a propaganda poster worth about 5 won as a souvenir is exactly "acting like an asshole," much less deserving of a 15-year prison sentence, much less deserving of a death sentence.

Just now, Dan T. said:

I don't think taking a propaganda poster worth about 5 won as a souvenir is exactly "acting like an asshole," much less deserving of a 15-year prison sentence, much less deserving of a death sentence.

He went to North Korea. Its their law and they are a sovereign country. You can say it is unfair, criticize their country, etc but they were told about how not to act in that country. He got drunk and did something stupid in that country.

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

He went to North Korea. Its their law and they are a sovereign country. You can say it is unfair, criticize their country, etc but they were told about how not to act in that country. He got drunk and did something stupid in that country.

OK. So, other than disparaging a dead kid, what is your point?

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

OK. So, other than disparaging a dead kid, what is your point?

I felt this way while he was alive. 

I don't like the way the media is covering this story and how people are reacting to it.

It is not disparaging him, as much as calling it what it was. I don't believe he should die, I am just being real about how he got in that situation.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I felt this way while he was alive. 

I don't like the way the media is covering this story and how people are reacting to it.

It is not disparaging him, as much as calling it what it was. I don't believe he should die, I am just being real about how he got in that situation.

Okey-doke.  Thumbs up for keeping it real. [Sarcasm emoticon]

Edited by Dan T.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You go there and do something stupid, you should be expecting 50 years of making big rocks into little rocks and thats if youre lucky.  I got no sympathy for this kid.

I do.  That you don't seems particularly heartless. 

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

I do.  That you don't seems particularly heartless. 

Meh.  Thats you.  I see it as feeling bad for the guy that drove the need to have a warning on a lawnmower that there are moving blades underneath.   You should have known better