Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3rd/12, 3rd/17, 3rd/8(td),3rd/14, 3rd/11

SkinsHokieFan

Those were 3rd down conversions the offense made in the first half.

Last season if you recall the 3rd down offense was near historically bad.

Today, Rex Grossman was on fire on 3rd down, hitting Gaffney, Moss and Stallworth for big first half conversions.

One thing we have seen Rex excel at is passes over the middle 15-20 yards down the field off play action. The play action was working because of the effort to keep the running game going, even if we weren't averaging 5.5 yards per carry.

Rex spraying the ball around, the protection with backup o-lineman (how about Willie Smith!) and success with the run led to one of the best 3rd down days this offense has had since the Shanahans came to town.

I think we are really seeing Kyle Shanahan take his coaching/game plan/game calling to another level. 3rd downs is an example

But unfortunately we are irrelevant in December again. I am just being realistic. We will pick up some "key" players in the draft and free agency and will be relevant IMO going into December 2012. Right now we can only be content to be spoilers, which I am fine with because momentum going into next year does count IMO.

I am impressed with Grossman's play. The last few games we have looked competitive.

on third and long the short man is usually open with the assumption that he is going to be tackled before he reaches the first down marker. Good teams with good QB's like New England can pass their short man into a position where he can make a play.

It's going to be so much fun next year watching the results of our patience from this year. It's going to look like the Skins came out of nowhere, but we'll know better. :)

I was utterly stunned about amount of praise the Skins play and potential future were getting from the announcers late in the game

I agree this was by far their best game and 3rd down was very efficient. I think we need to let these young guys compete for the starting positions since we are having success with them in the lineup. The offense seems to have found a stride and exploiting the opponents weaknesses. I am glad they won but I don't think that the winner of the division is going very far in the playoffs. None of them look very good.

You got to give credit to our OL. They gave Sexy time. Some of the Young guys are stepping up. Those third downs today were big :) Good to have threads like this to remember !!!!

Polumbus has been grading poorly at Tackle everywhere he's been....but the dude is light years ahead of Jammal Brown. This team needs to do the right thing and actually sign this kid and let him start next year. Willie Smith has looked very good since his first couple of drives vs the Patriots. He and Niles Paul had a miscommunication yesterday, but he was VERY good otherwise.

I'm not sure what Brown's contract says, but hopefully there is an out clause that makes it year to year and we can cut him without a cap penalty.

HAIL!

nah, we threw it to paulsen and the other dude some.

Of course, but not nearly as much as usual, which is expected with a much less talented blocking TE playing the part of our starting TE. I was just pointing out something I noticed, which I guess should have been predictable.

Just pointing out that our offense can hum along just fine even without an athletic receiving TE as a large part of the gameplan...in the 4th quarter.

Polumbus has been grading poorly at Tackle everywhere he's been....but the dude is light years ahead of Jammal Brown. This team needs to do the right thing and actually sign this kid and let him start next year. Willie Smith has looked very good since his first couple of drives vs the Patriots. He and Niles Paul had a miscommunication yesterday, but he was VERY good otherwise.

I'm not sure what Brown's contract says, but hopefully there is an out clause that makes it year to year and we can cut him without a cap penalty.

HAIL!

I think we've freed up enough cap room that we can easily absorb a cap hit for Brown. I don't think we're going to see this team tip toeing the salary cap line anymore. Unless there is a great reason Brown has played so poorly he should be gone next season regardless of the financials. We can get better production for less money.

Maybe it was just me, but I wasn't impressed with Willie Smith. He got beat a few times pretty bad, although, Pierre Paul is a tough test. I'd like to see him against a more, shall we say, "normal" defensive end. PP was all over the field, though. It should be noted, that PP wasn't always Smith's assignment, and some of those plays were made on other players. Smith has a long way to go, but the kid flashes and its fun to see.

On the other hand, I was big time impressed with Kyle Shanahan's playcalling again. The guy definitely has the support of his players, too. Stallworth was talking about him post game in the locker room. Had nothing but good things to say. Not that you'd expect much else from him, but still.

It's not a coincidence that the more we run the ball, the better we do. We passed 24 times and ran 40 against the Giants. Keeps our defense fresh, keeps opposing offenses off the field, tires out the defense, and lulls them to sleep for when we do throw the ball.

And for the record, Jabar Gaffney is emerging as one of our most underrated players, right along side Darrell Young.

And for the record, Jabar Gaffney is emerging as one of our most underrated players, right along side Darrell Young.

Great point. I've loved Young from the get-go...at first because I just wanted youth over Sellers, but now because I think he's a good guy to be a long-term contributor. As for Gaffney, I think he and Moss will be valuable resources for a rookie QB. They seem to do a good job of getting open and (usually) making the catches that they should make.

Having a WR corps of Moss, Hankerson, Gaffney, and Paul would give us a good blend of veterans and youth.

Great point. I've loved Young from the get-go...at first because I just wanted youth over Sellers, but now because I think he's a good guy to be a long-term contributor. As for Gaffney, I think he and Moss will be valuable resources for a rookie QB. They seem to do a good job of getting open and (usually) making the catches that they should make.

Having a WR corps of Moss, Hankerson, Gaffney, and Paul would give us a good blend of veterans and youth.

Agree.

One of the positives with this team is if we get our QB, he won't have a bunch of green rookies to throw the ball to. Having Gaffney/Moss will help a QB tremendously because they will be where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there

Archived