Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Redskins vs Giants OL Discussion Thread- Happy Polumbus Day

Rufus T Firefly

Without our 3 best linemen this line is performing well. I'm not sure if it was Smith's fault on the JPP sack, but he had no one to block on that play. (maybe he wasn't supposed to block JPP and the FB) Other than that it looks like we do have some solid depth at Oline moreso than most initially thought.

Without our 3 best linemen this line is performing well. I'm not sure if it was Smith's fault on the JPP sack, but he had no one to block on that play. (maybe he wasn't supposed to block JPP and the FB) Other than that it looks like we do have some solid depth at Oline moreso than most initially thought.

Brown isn't one of our 3 best OL, imo.

The sack was clearly a blown assignment by somebody. Even if it was Smith, I'm not as worried by a rookie missing a call as I would be by him just being beaten. So not discouraged by that play.

good to see the good write up's on willie smith thus far. I think his done great. I thought I was going to see some negative post that it was his fault when Pierre Paul got the sack on Rex Grossman. I think Rex should of been aware of the blitz and kicked it outside to N. Paul.

So far I like Willie though. Montgomery got bulldozed on one play

Other than Willie Smith being abused by Pierre Paul a few times, another excellent performance by the OL.

It is VERY encouraging to see the young backups play this well.

Palumbus had the sole penalty, and it's the first time I've heard his name called other than to tell me he's in the game.

(ONE penalty!!!!! Against the giants DL. These guys may be young and they may be backups, but damn if they didn't play like vets roday.)

Gents and Ladies, we have encouraging signs here. And not the usual imaginary crap we've seen in the past in which we try to fabricate positives out of overall negative performances. These young players are playing like a team, all across the roster. They are disciplined and smart. They've been better and better every week for a month now, and I am (as usual) optimistic for the future.

~Bang

Other than Willie Smith being abused by Pierre Paul a few times, another excellent performance by the OL.

It is VERY encouraging to see the young backups play this well.

Palumbus had the sole penalty, and it's the first time I've heard his name called other than to tell me he's in the game.

(ONE penalty!!!!! Against the giants DL. These guys may be young and they may be backups, but damn if they didn't play like vets roday.)

Gents and Ladies, we have encouraging signs here. And not the usual imaginary crap we've seen in the past in which we try to fabricate positives out of overall negative performances. These young players are playing like a team, all across the roster. They are disciplined and smart. They've been better and better every week for a month now, and I am (as usual) optimistic for the future.

~Bang

There's quite a bit of good things to look forward to. The offensive line has actually played BETTER than it did with our "stars"

Maurice Hurt, 7th round

Willie Smith, UDFA

Tyler Polumbus, UDFA

Will Montgomery 7th round

Chris Chester, 2nd round

For this group of guys to completely STONE a giants defense featuring guys like JPP, Umenyoira and Tuck, is an amazing accomplishment.

Plus they've been able to run block fairly well. If these are the skins BACKUPS, they will be in good shape in the future (assuming they can continue to perform)

*eta

Hell I wouldn't be upset if they managed to unseat some of the "starters" (namely JB and if he doesn't pick it up when he comes back, CL)

It would be nice to see these youngsters develop into solid backups, or maybe even see one or two of them become starters. Depth on the line obviously needs to be addressed this offseason, but maybe we aren't as far off as it originally seemed.

I don't know that depth on the line needs to be addressed this offseason.

i think we're seeing these youngsters develop into solid backups and maybe even a starter or two.

I advocate always bringing in linemen, but I don't think the need is so desperate anymore.

~Bang

Polumbus has looked better than Brown at RT and Smith has done really well given he has been thrown in the deep end. There was not a ton of running room today but Rex had time, not least because we committed to running the ball even though the Giants played 8 in the box a lot to stop the run.

Very encouraging performance even if only to suggest we have better depth than we thought especially at tackle. Polumbus might be earning at least the ability to compete for the starting RT gig next offseason.

i saw the game here downunder, and i was very impressed with the team as a whole Gano kicked all his goals the Offence was brilliant and the defence was also brilliant i love the way that no one gave up. they made the giants score they didnt just let them score allinall the whole team gets an A+ from me and as for the play calling i am giving ther coaching staff and A+ too it has taken the team this long to play well as a team but i am so excited for next season it cant come around quick enough

I like Smith at LT. I'd start him there next year and slide Williams to LT. Keep Polombus as backup and cut Brown(he makes too much $ to be a backup).

I would say.. lets see how he do going forward. I don't think the coaching staff is ready to give up on Trent at LT. But it is good to know if say Trent decides to smoke up again, we have a decent backup for him

With another draft and good Free agency our OL depth should be good.

Id say we keep Trent at LT next yr..he looked great in his last 2-3 games. Maybe KL can come back 100% (hopefully) and be our LG...monty is OK at C...chester has been OK too but i think we need another guard, probably a starter on either side. Definitely need a different RT from JB but maybe Willie Smith can be that RT. I think his future is brighter than Polumbus'...though I could be wrong

I was very encouraged by the line play, but it's a very small sample size of this group playing together. I get that they basically neutralized one of the best defensive lines in football, but I think most of these guys will just end up being solid depth. We absolutely still need to address the line in the draft and get as many young bodies in here to come in and grow together as we can.

Have to rewatch the game and pay specific attention to the line, but it's also great that Chris Chester finally seems to be coming on. Just like with Kory Lichensteiger last year, he looked mostly awful for more than half a season until something's "clicked." Maybe it's not playing next to Jamaal Brown, who knows. But if we can add Chris Meyers as our big free agent signing at center and draft a right tackle in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round, I think the group up front will be as strong as its been since the '05 line

Williams, Lichensteiger, Chris Meyers, Chester, 2/3/4 Draft Pick, Willie Smith, Montgomery, Polumbus, Hurt, Free Agent (?)

The right tackle prospects seem to be pretty bare in free agency. With the way Polumbus and Smith are playing, I'm not sure we'll even need to add another player there outside of the draft

Archived