Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Newt's ascendency an admission amongst Republicans?

Burgold

Before there was blame Bush there was blame Bill. Boy did conservatives and republicans hate Clinton and everything about him. Six years into the Bush Presidency, Republicans were still faulting Bill. They even blamed him for 9/11... really, many did.

Now with Gingrich becoming a favorite despite his affairs, corruption and moral failings... he is surging into the lead.

Is Gringrich's second look and ascendency an admission that Republicans were really wrong and about Bill Clinton?

---------- Post added December-18th-2011 at 10:10 AM ----------

Seems to me that they are quite nostalgic for ole Bill.

1) Answer to your question: No As far as I can remember Clinton didn't run for office with the baggage Newt has.

2) People want things done in Washington. Newt is the only one instilling any confidence that something could get accomplished. Ron Paul would spend 4 years as a civics professor explaining to congress and the american people what being libertarian is, and not accomplishing anything. Romney is a glad hander. Rick Perry comes off as a buffoon.

There are no similarities in my opinion between newt and billary.

I admit I was one at the time that despised Clinton. I did so because he was one of those types that people that put himself before anything else and I didn't want to have someone like that as President. I've learned that that that isn't disqualifier to being a good President.

---------- Post added December-18th-2011 at 03:36 PM ----------

1) Answer to your question: No As far as I can remember Clinton didn't run for office with the baggage Newt has.

2) People want things done in Washington. Newt is the only one instilling any confidence that something could get accomplished. Ron Paul would spend 4 years as a civics professor explaining to congress and the american people what being libertarian is, and not accomplishing anything. Romney is a glad hander. Rick Perry comes off as a buffoon.

I think he is very similar and yes Clinton did have much of the baggage that Newt has when it comes to his social life. I've been stating for months that newt is the Republican version of Bill Clinton (note I'm still leaning toward Romney as I think he has a better chance of winning the general).

Newt's "ascendancy" ended last week, his decendancy is what we will watch now, just like Pawlenty/Bachman/Cain/et al

---------- Post added December-18th-2011 at 11:11 AM ----------

Your take on Paul is very silly and really baseless. The veto pen alone would disprove your prediction

I think it's more of an admission that Republicans don't really care about all of that Tea Party stuff; they would be willing to elect a true establishment Republican. Newt epitomizes all of things Tea Partiers and "born-again" Republicans hate; both when he was in office and out. He is morally questionable, his ethical conduct while speaker is tainted and didn't fall in line with Tea Party ideals, and his out of office lobbying is well documented.

He can talk a big game now, but quite honestly, anybody who has followed his career can see that he is pandering. And if I remember correctly, Republicans were trying to get "true" Conservatives in and not RINOs like Gingrich who would sell their soul for election.

Generally, you can see that Republicans today actually do want true reform in the party, but it seems as though beating Obama is more important at this point; thus, they would be willing to let an establishment conservative take the lead.

I agree with a LOT of what Newt says when he seems on point... I disagree a LOT with what Newt says when he rambles off point.

I don't have a problem with Newt sitting with Nancy and doing an environmental message about saving the planet.

There isn't a person alive we agree with completely, look at the President Obama baggage of Rezco deals and Airs appeals.

I think Mitt has the best personal record but seems as if he was born to this job which bothers me also, i like the underdog.

I would have liked Bachman if not for the headaches, shes shown with foster children she has an eye out for those in need while being tough.

I would have like Christi as hes says it the way i like to hear it.

ehhh, i'll vote for Obama if i think the house and senate are going to go republican to ensure there is no easy route to pushed through crappy bills.

Are you kidding? People were talking about Clinton's affairs and Whitewater during his candidacy, but more simply... believing in Newt is really a fondness for the Clinton years becaue if Newt is believed to be able to get anything done it's because Bill did.

Are you kidding? People were talking about Clinton's affairs and Whitewater during his candidacy, but more simply... believing in Newt is really a fondness for the Clinton years becaue if Newt is believed to be able to get anything done it's because Bill did.

:ols: I was only referring to affairs and I had forgotten about jennifer flowers :ols: sorry. Old age, all I can remember is the stained dress ;)

I don't think Flowers had even come out at this point in the election

I couldn't remember when. All I remember when Clinton first came on was talks of him being from a poor state with nothing but chicken farming as an industry :ols: I didn't remember the affair scandal. But your right, that came out later.

As i recall, at this point in Clinton's campaign the big smear was his drug use in college, and they called him a draft dodger, and of course the questions about Whitewater and the associations they had.

As i remember the womanizing didn't come out til later.

~Bang

I think it was always rumored. After all, he was nicknamed slick willie well before his swearing in.

Regardless, Newt being appreciated today seems an affirmation of the Clinton years and probably Clinton himself... by those who hated him most. Couple that with the admission that Hillary has been a pretty darn good Secretary of State and it seems that Repubs recognize that they were wrong... wrong... wrong...

Bill was a sleeze, but a pretty good President.

yep, it came out between Iowa and NH I believe

there are a number of similarities in this year, including a sitting president once thought unbeatable,a number of prominent candidates choosing not to run,the wars and recession

at this point Clinton was a largely unknown that had focused on jobs,the economy and education ....and at about 4% in the polls and a joke to many

remember this? :ols:

iNl_dMVmuZQ

Newt's ascendency as everything to do with 1) his debating skills and 2) the focus on the other candidates' negatives. For a while, people simply forgot about his negatives, or at least put them aside. I think it's not related to Newt's accomplishments as much as his verbal sharpness.

Personally, I appreciate Clinton more after 3 years of Obama, but I don't draw the connnection made in the OP.

Because he was lucky enough to be president under a growing economy(set up by the previous one) and during a relatively peaceful era.

He was well on his way to being unelectable until he shifted gears....circumstances largely define them as much as their actions

Because he was lucky enough to be president under a growing economy(set up by the previous one) and during a relatively peaceful era.

He was well on his way to being unelectable until he shifted gears....circumstances largely define them as much as their actions

This is the key. He tried the far left angle and was losing big, but then he changed gears. This is what Obama could have done on the debt, but didn't. Obama refused a welfare reform moment. People of different political stripes can disagree over whether he should have caved a la Clinton, but I don't think it's really disputable that if he came to a major budget reform/cutting deal with the R's, it would have been very popular politically.

so Bush I set up the first bubble? well **** him then

I think what you are seeing is simply that Newt is the only serious candidate that isn't Romney. I don't know why people ignore huntsman and santorum but they do. That left Cain (idiot), Bachman (crazy idiot), and Newt. I don't include Paul because he's not really a republican.

Why was Bill Clinton a pretty good President?

Don't say "The Economy" because that was just before the bubble burst. Inflating a bubble is not an accomplishment to be proud of.

Look at how he handled Bosnia who the Republicans were wholeheartedly against. Look at any number of foreign and domestic issues. If nothing else, winning the staredown with Newt and the Contract with America folks forced them all to work together.

Clinton may have been a beneficiary, but we also know it is possible to take a ship into calm waters and find an iceberg. He managed to captain us well. Who knows how many icebergs his calm hand and keen eye avoided.

Archived