Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft hypothetical

Hitman21ST

To those that pick Rodgers forget one thing, he sat three years behind Favre. He had plenty of time to learn one offense. He would of failed with the Redskins as the offense changed several times in a four year span.

you don't know that. What you and I know is in that draft it was a tossup for SF to pick him or Smith for #1 overall. What you and I know is that he had a fantastic career in college. What you and I know is besides being a great QB right now he is a great leader and no one can teach that. Gibbs, as much as I love the guy made a MAJOR blunder which we are still paying for.

In recent years -- the 2005 draft and the 2008 draft.

At the time of the 2005 draft I was hoping for Aaron Rodgers over Carlos Rogers, and Heath Miller over Jason Campbell -- (I thought Gibbs was going to run a double TE formation with the receiving talents of Cooley and Miller.) With hindsight, there were a lot of candidates who could have worked out better for us than Jason and Carlos.

The 2008 draft seemed so promising at first-- but frankly I was surprised that the Skins went for the receivers they did. I had my doubts about Devin Thomas, because he was so raw and Stan Hixon was an awful WRs coach. Kelly seemed okay, but the injury history was a BIG red flag. I was surprised about Davis -- because I was hoping for Calais Campbell. Then from the third round on, it got weird. Oddly, I thought Durant Brooks was worth a 6th rounder, and felt it was worthwhile gambling on Brennan. So I havve little room to attack all the choices --- even though the 2008 draft will now be going down as one of the least fruitful for the Skins.

you don't know that. What you and I know is in that draft it was a tossup for SF to pick him or Smith for #1 overall. What you and I know is that he had a fantastic career in college. What you and I know is besides being a great QB right now he is a great leader and no one can teach that. Gibbs, as much as I love the guy made a MAJOR blunder which we are still paying for.
What I said was a fact. Rodgers did sit three years behind Favre and spend time learning the offense. Favre first retired in 2007 where Aaron Rodgers took over for the 2008 season. Most QB have a fantastic career in college. With Gibbs and Saunders fighting over the play-calling and offense philosophy, they would of handcuffed Rodgers just like they did with Campbell. Brunell couldn't get the offense going and he was a 13 year veteran.

It's easy to say "I would've drafted Aaron Rodgers", and yeah, he was a better prospect than Jason Campbell was, but I still think he would've been ruined on this team. We didn't have the infrastructure or the people in the front office to build a team around him properly. Even Rodgers said in "America's Game" that falling down the draft and sitting on the bench was probably the best thing for him, as he got a chance to learn AND it humbled him. I think the Rodgers we see now---cool, calm, collected, and classy---would've been ruined in our crappy lockerroom with our less than stellar (at times) coaching and Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder still running the draft. And he would've been a ****y little **** on top of it all.

It's fun to think about Rodgers being here, but I think he would've been pretty well crapped on by our team.

Archived