Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT/Yahoo Sports: RG3's parents interviewing agents

Rypien1191

Good points in here for sure. Although teams like the Rams and Vikings seem like trade-down candidates simply because they have their franchise QBs, we have to keep a couple things in mind:

1) As mentioned, they need talent even more than most other teams. When you pass on a top-5 pick, you are passing up All-Pro talent for quantity.

2) The new rookie wage scale makes it more likely (in my opinion) that a team with many holes can justify picking OL or WR in the top-5.

Now, the caveat to those two points is simple...the picks they hold MIGHT be even more valuable because of the ceiling on salary. If someone blows them away with picks and one of those picks is a relatively high 1st in this draft, they might be forced to pull the trigger.

It'll be interesting...I just really hope we end up in a position to grab a franchise QB.

I disagree.

I'm a fan of Barkley but I can't think of one thing he does better than RG3.:2cents:

Matt Barkley 2011- 308/446 for 3528yds 69.1 comp % 7.91 yds per pass 82 lng 39 td's 7 int's 8 sacks 161.2 rating

Robert Griffin III 2011 267/369 3998 72.4 10.84 87 36 6 23 192.2

RGIII gets sacked alot more? :silly:

---------- Post added December-17th-2011 at 09:25 AM ----------

Baylor's schedule

2011 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

09/02/11 vs. TCU Waco, Texas W, 50-48

09/17/11 vs. Stephen F. Austin Waco, Texas W, 48-0

09/24/11 vs. Rice (PW) Waco, Texas W, 56-31

10/01/11 at Kansas State * Manhattan, Kan. L, 36-35

10/08/11 vs. Iowa State * Waco, Texas W, 49-26

10/15/11 at Texas A&M * Coll. Station, Texas L, 55-28

10/29/11 at Oklahoma State * Stillwater, Okla. L, 59-24

11/05/11 vs. Missouri (Homecoming) * Waco, Texas W, 42-39

11/12/11 at Kansas * Lawrence, Kan. W, 31-30 (OT)

11/19/11 vs. Oklahoma * Waco, Texas W, 45-38

11/26/11 vs. Texas Tech Arlington, Texas W, 66-42

12/03/11 vs. Texas * Waco, Texas W, 48-24

USC's schedule

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

09/03/11 vs. Minnesota L.A. Coliseum W, 19-17

09/10/11 vs. Utah * L.A. Coliseum W, 23-14

09/17/11 vs. Syracuse L.A. Coliseum W, 38-17

09/24/11 at Arizona State * Tempe, Ariz. L, 43-22

10/01/11 vs. Arizona * L.A. Coliseum W, 48-41

10/13/11 at California * San Francisco, Calif. W, 30-9

10/22/11 at Notre Dame South Bend, Ind. W, 31-17

10/29/11 vs. Stanford * L.A. Coliseum L, 56-48

11/04/11 at Colorado * Boulder, Colo. W, 42-17

11/12/11 vs. Washington * L.A. Coliseum W, 40-17

11/19/11 at Oregon * Eugene, Ore. W, 38-35

11/26/11 vs. UCLA * L.A. Coliseum W, 50-0

---------- Post added December-17th-2011 at 09:27 AM ----------

Which QB has faced tougher defenses this season?

I'd put good money on Kalil going to Minnesota and we take RG3 at #4. Top 5 would look like this

1. Luck

2. Blackmon

3. Kalil

4. RG3

5. Claiborne

This is what I wrote down in another thread. Mostly scenario of all the draft positions stay true in 3 weeks.

Philly has won 1 more game than us. Giants 3 more games, Minny, 2 less games.

To think we have no chance to win 1 or more is ludicrous. We aren't a good team, but neither are the 3 teams we are playing.

We win one, and possibly 2 games.

Once again, you are looking at W-L record. Have you watched the Vikes play recently? I could have won a few more games. AP was out last 2 games and they still could have won if not the collapse in final minutes. Vick is back also and that will be a problem for our D. Don't look at their record either. Look at how the teams played recently. Young was their Qb for a while and he suck. So for us to beat the Eagles, Young needs to be their QB. Forget about the Giants, they will beat us for sure since there's more on the line for them then us. We are losing players every week. 1-2 is the best we can do.

If we're not in informal talks with Indy already about the #1 pick I'll be disappointed.

Hail.

No trade will be discussed until after the Combine. Between Combine and draft is where teams discussing trades. Even informal one.

Good points in here for sure. Although teams like the Rams and Vikings seem like trade-down candidates simply because they have their franchise QBs, we have to keep a couple things in mind:

1) As mentioned, they need talent even more than most other teams. When you pass on a top-5 pick, you are passing up All-Pro talent for quantity.

2) The new rookie wage scale makes it more likely (in my opinion) that a team with many holes can justify picking OL or WR in the top-5.

Now, the caveat to those two points is simple...the picks they hold MIGHT be even more valuable because of the ceiling on salary. If someone blows them away with picks and one of those picks is a relatively high 1st in this draft, they might be forced to pull the trigger.

It'll be interesting...I just really hope we end up in a position to grab a franchise QB.

Rams biggest need is WR. Why would they trade down when they could draft Blackmon? I don't see that until another team willing to give them the farm like Falcons did. There's a big drop off for WR after the first 2 like last year. Chance of Rams move down are slim.

Vikes need a LT badly to protect Ponder. Kalil is perfect for them. They need WR also so if Rams draft Kalil, they will draft Blackmon.

If you are in a top 5 and your biggest need is there, you shouldn't trade down.

Unless we trade up, it's quite possible that we would be odd man out (assuming we pick in #4 spot) Luck, Barkley, and RG3 will be gone before we get a chance. Other teams know we need a QB and may make some interesting trades to move ahead of us.

so your banking on the rams and vikings passing on their top 5 players? Rams with Blackmon/Kalil or Vikes with Blackmon/Kalil.

Rams biggest need is WR. Why would they trade down when they could draft Blackmon? I don't see that until another team willing to give them the farm like Falcons did. There's a big drop off for WR after the first 2 like last year. Chance of Rams move down are slim.

Vikes need a LT badly to protect Ponder. Kalil is perfect for them. They need WR also so if Rams draft Kalil, they will draft Blackmon.

If you are in a top 5 and your biggest need is there, you shouldn't trade down.

Nonsense. If Griffin and Barkley are as coveted as most suspect, then each of those teams can extract a high price for trading down, especially with the rookie wage scale likely making trading down easier and more lucrative. To assume those teams wouldn't want to load up on picks and fill multiple needs is foolish.

Further, the drop-off isn't as dramatic as people suggest from Blackmon to Floyd/Jeffrey or from Kalil to Martin/Reiff, assuming that is where those teams want to go with their picks (in the case of St. Louis in particular, I'm not al all convinced it is).

Nonsense. If Griffin and Barkley are as coveted as most suspect, then each of those teams can extract a high price for trading down, especially with the rookie wage scale likely making trading down easier and more lucrative. To assume those teams wouldn't want to load up on picks and fill multiple needs is foolish.

Further, the drop-off isn't as dramatic as people suggest from Blackmon to Floyd/Jeffrey or from Kalil to Martin/Reiff, assuming that is where those teams want to go with their picks (in the case of St. Louis in particular, I'm not al all convinced it is).

If the draft order stays the same and both Barkley and RG3 declare, I am willing to bet with anyone that we will land one of them. I don't see Rams and Vikes trade down. Maybe one, not both. That just doesn't happen often. The price to move up to #2 or #3 won't be cheap either. So, any taker on the bet?

If the draft order stays the same and both Barkley and RG3 declare, I am willing to bet with anyone that we will land one of them. I don't see Rams and Vikes trade down. Maybe one, not both. That just doesn't happen often. The price to move up to #2 or #3 won't be cheap either. So, any taker on the bet?

So, it'll cost a lot to trade up to 2 or 3, yet the Vikes or Rams definitely wouldn't do it? :rolleyes:

So, it'll cost a lot to trade up to 2 or 3, yet the Vikes or Rams definitely wouldn't do it? :rolleyes:

Ummm...so other teams are willing to trade up? You know this for a fact? Once again, 2 of top 3 teams trading down? Really? So we have a bet then since you're so sure of it?

You're just talking in circles. Have a nice day.

I said if the draft order stays where it is and both Barkley and RG3 declare, we WILL land one of them. You said we won't since other teams will trade up. How's that for a circle?

I said I am willing to put the money where my mouth is. If you doubt what I said, then do the same. Talk is cheap.

I said if the draft order stays where it is and both Barkley and RG3 declare, we WILL land one of them. You said we won't since other teams will trade up. How's that for a circle?

I said I am willing to put the money where my mouth is. If you doubt what I said, then do the same. Talk is cheap.

Maybe you should spend the money you're so anxious to bet on a reading comprehension class. Or one on basic logic. Or else one entitled "Why no one but me is dumb enough to bet money with random internet dudes".

Either way, Godspeed to you.

Maybe you should spend the money you're so anxious to bet on a reading comprehension class. Or one on basic logic. Or else one entitled "Why no one but me is dumb enough to bet money with random internet dudes".

Either way, Godspeed to you.

LOL every year I see posters get freak out in here because they think other teams will trade up before us and draft the player we want. Every year especially next year draft since we need a QB badly. After Combine this place will go nuts.

My "basic" logic tells me both Rams and Vikings won't trade down. No need for class on that. I do need to enroll on "freaking" out class or "paranoid" class though. Any recommendations since you are the expert at both?

Now calling someone else dumb because you disagree with them, isn't that for Preschool stuffs? :)

Take it to PM if you must, gentlemen. It's now become boring for the rest of us and you both do want to be able to continue posting I assume. :)

I was done with it, with the straw men and the betting money version of the internet tough guy routine, so was going to leave it completely. But I stupidly went back for one too many responses. My bad.

I've already resigned myself for the worst case scenario...

Trade down and get more picks... get a high 2nd rounder and draft Kirk Cousins while focusing on the OL, CB and Safety position... wide receiver I think will be handled during FA while developing our own guys.

That win against Seattle might come back to bite us in the ass. In any event, we are projected a Top 5 pick if we lose out. It would be REALLY interesting if let's say Cleveland wanted our #4 or #5 overall for the rights to Griffin III or Barkley. We could recoup their two 1st Rounders and add best available WR and OL in the First Round.

I wouldn't neccessarily be "opposed" to this scenario because we could theoretically add 3 offensive starters within two rounds by drafting Tannenhill in the 2nd. Tannenhill I believe will be a fine NFL starter after adjusting to the pro game and would thrive under adament coaching.

That win against Seattle might come back to bite us in the ass. In any event, we are projected a Top 5 pick if we lose out. It would be REALLY interesting if let's say Cleveland wanted our #4 or #5 overall for the rights to Griffin III or Barkley. We could recoup their two 1st Rounders and add best available WR and OL in the First Round.

I wouldn't neccessarily be "opposed" to this scenario because we could theoretically add 3 offensive starters within two rounds by drafting Tannenhill in the 2nd. Tannenhill I believe will be a fine NFL starter after adjusting to the pro game and would thrive under adament coaching.

Interesting "theory"

If Indy, St Louis and Minnesota make it clear they aren't taking Luck or RGIII, the fight to trade up to those spots will be fierce from everyone else around us.

Hail.

If Indy, St. Louis and Minnesota make it clear they aren't taking Luck or RGIII, the fight will be for the #4 spot, not for one of the top 3 spots. No need to trade up higher than is necessary.

If Indy, St. Louis and Minnesota make it clear they aren't taking Luck or RGIII, the fight will be for the #4 spot, not for one of the top 3 spots. No need to trade up higher than is necessary.

You really think a team set on Luck or Griffin would leave anything to chance if they had a chance to guarantee either higher than 4?

Hail.

Archived