Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Film :- Sherlock Holmes:A Game of Shadows.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Just got back from watching this. Fantastic entertainment. They've taken the premise and style of the first one and improved it.

This one spreads across Europe in a rollickingly good action/ comedy flick as Holmes battles his ultimate adversary, Professor Moriaty. All the original cast is back, and as well as Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr playing so fantastically off each other; the one-on-one dialogue between Holmes and Moriaty is great to watch too. And it had the added bonus for me of having Stephen Fry in it as Holmes brother Mycroft. For those of you who don't know, he was Hugh Laurie's (House) long time comedy partner. A quintessential Englishmen, with a wicked SOH to go with his very high intellect.

Great entertainment which also makes you think like the first film. One I highly recommend.

I look forward to the next in the saga, as I'm sure they'll be one.

Hail.

I still need to see the 1st one but this one looks very good!

Do u need to see the 1st one to have any idea whats going on in this movie?

Probably not. The stuff you probably need to know you'll probably pick up fairly quickly.

I don't know if I'm seeing this or Hugo tonight. The problem comes with the timing of dropping off and picking up my son. Hugo fits a bit better, timewise, but I know my wife really wants to see Holmes.

I don't know if I'm seeing this or Hugo tonight. The problem comes with the timing of dropping off and picking up my son. Hugo fits a bit better, timewise, but I know my wife really wants to see Holmes.

FWIW, my mom apparently saw Hugo the other weekend and loved it. A real good family flick amongst other things was the report I got back from her.

Hail.

The 1st installment was disappointing, but Downey was perfect for the role and the chemistry between him and Law was excellent. Hopefully this one has a better script.

Im reading that the second one is worse than the first :/

Might as well wait for the Girl with the Dragon tat or Mission: Impossible and that is getting GREAT reviews.

Might as well wait for the Girl with the Dragon tat or Mission: Impossible and that is getting GREAT reviews.

Having loved the fresh concept of the first, I'd beg to differ.

I think they took it on and improved it in this one on a grander scale, whilst still keeping the concept and style of the first one. They've taken the premise of the original and refined it, whilst losing nothing IMHO. Some of the writing in the one-on-one scenes between Holmes and Moriaty in particular is fantastic craft.

I can't wait for the Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo over Christmas. I just hope it lives up to Larsson's brilliant novel and the whole trilogy ends up worth watching.

Hail.

Having loved the fresh concept of the first, I'd beg to differ.

I think they took it on and improved it in this one on a grander scale, whilst still keeping the concept and style of the first one. They've taken the premise of the original and refined it, whilst losing nothing IMHO. Some of the writing in the one-on-one scenes between Holmes and Moriaty in particular is fantastic craft.

I can't wait for the Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo over Christmas. I just hope it lives up to Larsson's brilliant novel and the whole trilogy ends up worth watching.

Hail.

From reviews I've read so far, how much you enjoy the second movie depends on how much you liked the first movie. If you hated the first movie, the second movie does nothing to change your mind. If you liked the first movie, you are likely to like the second one.

As for GwtDT, reviews have generally been positive, with most of the praise going to Rooney Mara's performance. Many felt that Fincher could do this film in his sleep, tho, and did little to push the material.

As for Mission: Impossible, get back to me when they make a real M:I film and not some Tom Cruise vanity project. The films should be about teams going on "impossible" missions and succeed despite things going wrong. Instead we get these films where it seems they are always going rouge for one reason or another. The only reason why I MIGHT see it at some point is because of Brad Bird, but that would be the only reason.

The film we are actually waiting for is Tintin. My wife did a lot of French in high school, so is very familiar with Tintin and has been looking forward to the film for a long time.

The film we are actually waiting for is Tintin. My wife did a lot of French in high school, so is very familiar with Tintin and has been looking forward to the film for a long time.

Getting a tad off topic, but if your looking for a good family flick Jason the new Matt Damon 'We bought a Zoo' looks like it could be a gem of a movie.

Hail.

Getting a tad off topic, but if your looking for a good family flick Jason the new Matt Damon 'We bought a Zoo' looks like it could be a gem of a movie.

Hail.

Not really looking at "family" films right now, since the 5 year old couldn't even make it through "The Muppets" without getting bored. That hasn't stopped him from being interested in Hugo and Tintin, but after the last time, we are rather reluctant to take him to the movie theater.

As for "We Bought A Zoo", as much as I like Cameron Crowe, it looks even more sappy than Jerry McGuire.

That's disappointing. I'm a sucker for Sherlock Holmes though, so I'll still probably see it at some point.

I am shocked that MI4 is at 94% on rotten tomatoes for it's premier day. The movie didn't impress me from the previews, it looked like another MI2, which blew (MI1 was awesome, 3 was solid). Usually if a movie stays high on it's premier day then it won't likely drop in ratings much after that. I may just have to see MI4, plus there's the bonus of a good quality DK Rises prologue.

Saw Sherlock Holmes 2 tonight. I can say that some aspects are better, and some aspects are worse. To get the bad out of the way, the balance they had between the serious and sillyness that worked well in the first movie gets out of hand at times in this movie. There were times where I was shaking my head. Noomi Rapace is mostly a non-entity for most of the movie. Also, Moriarty's goals seem a little nebulous.

On the good side, tho, Stephen Fry was excellent as Mycroft Holmes, and was in more of the movie than I expected. He stole the movie most of the time he was on the screen. The confrontations between Holmes and Moriarty are as intense as you expect, and the finale is very satisfying, moreso than the first film.

Overall, if you are a fan of the first film, you will probably like the second film, tho I don't think it is ultimately a better film.

That's disappointing. I'm a sucker for Sherlock Holmes though, so I'll still probably see it at some point.

I am shocked that MI4 is at 94% on rotten tomatoes for it's premier day. The movie didn't impress me from the previews, it looked like another MI2, which blew (MI1 was awesome, 3 was solid). Usually if a movie stays high on it's premier day then it won't likely drop in ratings much after that. I may just have to see MI4, plus there's the bonus of a good quality DK Rises prologue.

Brad Bird is a fantastic director though :) Much better then the hype machine JJ. :)

Archived