Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Scientists demonstrate Matrix-like learning with no conscious effort

China

Scientists demonstrate Matrix-like learning with no conscious effort

New research suggests it may be possible to learn high-performance tasks with little or no conscious effort

New research published today in the journal Science suggests it may be possible to use brain technology to learn to play a piano, reduce mental stress or hit a curve ball with little or no conscious effort. It's the kind of thing seen in Hollywood's "Matrix" franchise.

Experiments conducted at Boston University (BU) and ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories in Kyoto, Japan, recently demonstrated that through a person's visual cortex, researchers could use decoded functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to induce brain activity patterns to match a previously known target state and thereby improve performance on visual tasks.

Think of a person watching a computer screen and having his or her brain patterns modified to match those of a high-performing athlete or modified to recuperate from an accident or disease. Though preliminary, researchers say such possibilities may exist in the future.

Click on the link for the full article

That's quite possible the scariest thing I've ever heard. Implanting idea's directly into people's brains through incomprehensible visiual stimulus?

This is like subliminal messaging on steroids. The only way this thing could possible benifit human kind is if I control it.

That's quite possible the scariest thing I've ever heard. Implanting idea's directly into people's brains through incomprehensible visiual stimulus?

This is like subliminal messaging on steroids. The only way this thing could possible benifit human kind is if I control it.

who said these were ideas? is knowing how to hit a fast ball an idea or a skill?

Next up: surreptitiously hijacking this visual method to implant not only fast-learned knowledge and physical capabilities, but also other cognitive tendencies. Emotions, thought habits and patterns, and other second-nature mental patterns that benefit a third party. Essentially, cognitive viruses.

Who here has read Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash?

Next up: surreptitiously hijacking this visual method to implant not only fast-learned knowledge and physical capabilities, but also other cognitive tendencies. Emotions, thought habits and patterns, and other second-nature mental patterns that benefit a third party. Essentially, cognitive viruses.

Who here has read Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash?

We can live on a giant raft in the Pacific.

Well, that sure takes a lotta fun outta stayin up late studyin with top ramen and what not.

In all seriousness, when this does get working, it'll be outrageously expensive, only affordable by the super-rich and elite of society. How is the average person supposed to compete for skill related jobs when you got the rich / lazy downloading the same study material directly into their brain???

Well, that sure takes a lotta fun outta stayin up late studyin with top ramen and what not.

In all seriousness, when this does get working, it'll be outrageously expensive, only affordable by the super-rich and elite of society. How is the average person supposed to compete for skill related jobs when you got the rich / lazy downloading the same study material directly into their brain???

I believe that this same argument has been made about everything from vaccines to computers.

I believe that this same argument has been made about everything from vaccines to computers.

If you're arguing that eventually this technology will become readily available to the majority public, I guess you gotta ask yourself if it should be. The flickering thing to help with medical patients is one thing, but sitting little Patrick and Suzy with the rest of their class in front of a flashing screen for today's lesson plan is just beyond to creepy for me...

If you're arguing that eventually this technology will become readily available to the majority public, I guess you gotta ask yourself if it should be. The flickering thing to help with medical patients is one thing, but sitting little Patrick and Suzy with the rest of their class in front of a flashing screen for today's lesson plan is just beyond to creepy for me...

Agreed. If there's no conscious effort, isn't it basically brainwashing?

Archived