Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attn Star Wars Fans: THESE are the versions you've been looking for (Screened: Behind the Scenes of Harmy's Star Wars "Despecialized Editions")

Bliz

how would you feel if the team in your sig were all of a sudden required to wear neon green socks? A minor change, barely noticeable right? Or would it be something very noticeable because it is out of place and annoying to you and doesn't belong on something you've enjoyed for a long time? I know this is just a hypothetical, but I'm trying to give you a relatable example of why people are bothered by CG additions, like the brontosaurus.

i really don't know how to respond to that comparison.

i like star wars just as much as the next guy. even the stuff that i don't like, (NOOO @ end of rotj, greedo shooting first) doesn't really get me riled up. i don't get it.

i really don't know how to respond to that comparison.

i like star wars just as much as the next guy. even the stuff that i don't like, (NOOO @ end of rotj, greedo shooting first) doesn't really get me riled up. i don't get it.

and a lot of people wouldn't care about a college football team changing it's sock colors to something that doesn't fit well. but those who do care would notice and be bothered greatly by it. Just b/c you don't get it, that doesn't mean others aren't valid in disliking the added stuff.

For many, it's the same as people changing a historical landmark, altering a famous painting, etc. It's changing history. Star Wars had that significant of an impact on culture.

How about it's like someone going out and purchasing your favorite classic American car, and then adding pleather seats inside, a spoiler, ridiculously gawdy rims, and repainting it in some ugly color with cheap paint. It's still the same car, but with a bunch of ugly bells and whistles on it which distract from the classicness of the car.

and a lot of people wouldn't care about a college football team changing it's sock colors to something that doesn't fit well. but those who do care would notice and be bothered greatly by it. Just b/c you don't get it, that doesn't mean others aren't valid in disliking the added stuff.

For many, it's the same as people changing a historical landmark, altering a famous painting, etc. It's changing history. Star Wars had that significant of an impact on culture.

How about it's like someone going out and purchasing your favorite classic American car, and then adding pleather seats inside, a spoiler, ridiculously gawdy rims, and repainting it in some ugly color with cheap paint. It's still the same car, but with a bunch of ugly bells and whistles on it which distract from the classicness of the car.

But its not my car so they can do what they want with it.

But its not my car so they can do what they want with it.

that doesn't mean you wouldn't be bothered by it, if it were your favorite car, which is the point. Lucas can do whatever he wants to his films, but changing it from the original, when the original had such a big cultural impact, is going to tick off a lot of people. It's not hard to understand as some are making it out to be.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW

$61 for the original theatrical release of Star Wars: A New Hope. They released the originals in 2006 for four months. 8 years leading up to 2006 were all special edition, every year since has been as well. It isn't super easy to just go out to the store or check places online and find the original cut for the same prices you can buy the ****ized cut.

At any rate, anybody who doesn't understand Star Wars as one of many films in our nation's history which has has an enormous impact on our culture and blows it off as a geeky preoccupation wouldn't realize why editing classic films is a bad idea. This is about film history to me at least. There are a thousand comparisons that can be made to this: an artist painting over a famous painting of theirs because they actually wanted the guy they painted to have a moustache, a famous author re-writes scenes from a book which has attained cultural significance because its the way he always truly wanted it to be (the original edition of the book is discontinued and the new edition is churned out and sold to everyone like its the same thing). A famous band changes a lyric or melody to a very famous song of theirs. Imagine if Paul McCartney told everyone that "Let it Be" was supposed to be "Stand with me" and he was only going to sing it like that from then on. Then every time the song was played on the radio, it was the new version and it became difficult to find the old version as people pretended that was the way the song went all along.

"Whats wrong with changing it?" McCartney's supporters asked. "It's his song, and its not like they changed everything, its one phrase. The song is still pretty much the same musically so I don't see what the big deal is"

But it would be a big deal. Okay legally a film can never belong to the fans any more than Paul McCartney's song can become the property of all of those who hear it. But in the figurative sense it does become our property. It is implanted in our minds and memories. It inspires us, comforts us, entertains us, and in many ways- subtle or overt, films, books, music, etc. shape who we are. These things become a part of us and a part of our lives. Why can't fans of something be considered when it comes to things like this? The overwhelming number of Star Wars fans I've ever known, met, and talked with agree that the original version of the original trilogy is the best out of everything. The effect those three films had on our society is testament to that fact- they got it right the first time. Those versions of the films are movie history and in my opinion they should be preserved and made available as such. If George Lucas wants to make his special edition that's fine, whatever. Like Blitz said, I find it hard to imagine that the lack of some of the things he changed in the special edition kept him up at night for decades but sure, fine, whatever. I just don't see what is wrong with keeping and preserving the films in their original state. If the originals were still produced and sold this wouldn't be a thread, but they're not produced and they're expensive to buy. All of the new stuff is special edition crazy extra bull****-cut and the fanboys buy it even if they hate the special edition because they do crazy things and people buy it for the format change. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for an original, restored Star Wars.

I've never seen the originals, but it's easy to see where the movies have been tinkered with. The CGI stuff sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on the Blu-rays. It's distracting.

If George really wants to tinker, he should go back and do it all over again. 2011 CG is much more advanced than early 2000s CG, and I bet he could make it more seamless and less obvious.

If Lucas has an itch to mess with something, maybe he should go back and redo THX 1138.

Um, he did.

•The 2004 "George Lucas Director's Cut" contains several updated and CGI- expanded sequences:

â—¦The mosaic at the beginning of the film has been color treated and looks more like a bank of monitors.

â—¦The droid factory at the start of the film has been greatly expanded with CGI and we see much more detail of the creation of droids.

â—¦Many shots of the "city" have been greatly expanded with much more detail.

â—¦Several corridors in the film have been extended with more people.

â—¦The "Mind Lock" sequence has been updated and now has much more shots of the droids being created and new eye effects on Robert Duvall.

â—¦There is a never-before-seen shot of the police station.

â—¦The train scenes at the end have been expanded with more special effects.

â—¦The car chase scene is longer and more intense, with more CGI.

â—¦THX is attacked by new CGI shell dwellers at the end on his way out.

never said there wasn't, and i'm sure sooner or later lucas will realize there's a $$ or two to be made there. i just don't get how worked up people get over it. it's quite amusing.

I think you do get it, but are just trying to play the antagonist by trivializing it and pretending you don't understand. You're smart enough, judging from previous posts, to understand why some people don't want an American classic film to be changed, especially not in a gaudy way (which CG is, it looks out of place, and which you should understand since you said you didn't even have a response to the hypothetical of your team in your sig donning neon green socks).

Archived