Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Roots = One of the most criminally underrated groups in hip-hop history...(go cop undun!!)

RonArtest15

Everyone knows them, but I swear they're criminally underrated by many. To me, they are leaps and bounds ahead of their peers as far as their creativity and innovation. They're 24 years deep in the game and getting better by the year like a fine wine. As far as rap groups, I have them right behind ATCQ in my personal favorites.

Last year, I hyped up "How I Got Over," here on ES, which I thought was a perfect, 10/10 and was the best rap album of 2010...That being said, PLEASE support their efforts on "undun." I don't want to give too much away, but the whole album is telling the story of a fictional man named Redford Stephens. The Roots found a way to tell his story through their immense creativity. Jaw-dropping stuff. No joke.

If you haven't really listened to this group, I wouldn't really recommend starting w. this album. Do yourself a favor and listen to their work from their earlier years and build up to what they just released today. Get familiar with the band, Black Thought's word play, etc.

This is a legendary group which has maintained their relevancy over two decades. There's no telling when it will all end because they keep pushing the envelope and channeling their creativity like no other in the game. They haven't made a mockery of themselves and have stayed true to what they are.

undun isn't a contrived piece of "art" being force-fed to the listener like Kanye's MBDTF...this IS art. This album (like all their others) represent that the true essence of hip-hop isn't lost. Again...PLEASE support this effort!!

Indeed one of hip hop's greatest groups ever.

However, the past several years they have gradually strayed away from hip hop. They have slowly become more of a session rock band than a hip hop group. Contemporary alternative adult music. Nothing wrong with that, it just sort of turns off hardcore hip hop fans like myself. Plus Black Thought just does not have the energy he once had, although he is still vigorous and has one of hip hop's best voices.

That being said it is still pretty good music. I didn't like How I Got Over that much but it had a few really solid songs. Not in a hurry to check this one out. Things Fall Apart, Illadelph Halflife, Do You Want More?!, and Game Theory will always be the albums that I turn to when I wanna listen to The Roots.

Indeed one of hip hop's greatest groups ever.

However, the past several years they have gradually strayed away from hip hop. They have slowly become more of a session rock band than a hip hop group. Contemporary alternative adult music. Nothing wrong with that, it just sort of turns off hardcore hip hop fans like myself. Plus Black Thought just does not have the energy he once had, although he is still vigorous and has one of hip hop's best voices.

That being said it is still pretty good music. I didn't like How I Got Over that much but it had a few really solid songs. Not in a hurry to check this one out. Things Fall Apart, Illadelph Halflife, Do You Want More?!, and Game Theory will always be the albums that I turn to when I wanna listen to The Roots.

Interesting POV, but I respect it....what I don't agree with is that you said they are more of a session band making adult contemporary. To me, it's them EXPANDING on their sound with each passing album. The thing I love the most about The Roots is that they don't have to re-invent themselves and try stupid gimmicks to stay relevant. Like I said before, they stay true to themselves and what they're about.

Interesting POV, but I respect it....what I don't agree with is that you said they are more of a session band making adult contemporary. To me, it's them EXPANDING on their sound with each passing album. The thing I love the most about The Roots is that they don't have to re-invent themselves and try stupid gimmicks to stay relevant. Like I said before, they stay true to themselves and what they're about.

For sure man. They certainly are an extremely versatile band and push the envelope. Some of it just isn't for me. Doesn't diminish their artistic integrity in the least however. Expanding their sound is a great way of putting it.

i saw the roots 6 times in the late 90's / early 2000's. great show. my favorite group ever, hands down...but i haven't liked their last 3 or 4 albums nearly as much as their early stuff. illadelph half life is my favorite....

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 09:06 AM ----------

why? (what's going on) is one of their best, from "the tipping point" album. no youtube at work, here's lyric link:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/roots/whywhatsgoingon.html

Just finished the new album, and all i can say is the roots did it again!! Was not a big fan of their most recent work, but i loved this album. Also i am happy to see all the love for ATCQ, they are also my favorite group. My top 5 favorite groups are 1. ATCQ 2. Wu-Tang Clan 3. De La Soul 4. Souls of mischief (mainly because of 93 till infinity) and 5. is a toss up between The Pharcyde and the Roots. God i miss old school hip hop :(

Archived