Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Practice Bubble? Fedex field conditions?

TonyMania

Where is our practice bubble? I believe the permit was granted on September 30.

I was Lisening to Monday morning quarter back yesterday and over heard the Gano talks. Which led into talks about FedEx field conditions being always below average and this being a very known thing around the league.

Why can we spend money on everything else (solar panels) but we can't for what ever reason, have a standard quality field and practice facility ?

I would think that would be your first priority.

:logo:Hail!

I talked to Gano in the locker room afterward. Another media type asked him about the conditions, and he said something about how it's tough when colleges are playing games at FedEx as well and really tearing up the field. I don't have the exact quote handy, that's very paraphrased. I don't want to say its his exact wording. I will be breaking down the audio I got either later today or tomorrow and posting.

Where is our practice bubble? I believe the permit was granted on September 30.

I was Lisening to Monday morning quarter back yesterday and over heard the Gano talks. Which led into talks about FedEx field conditions being always below average and this being a very known thing around the league.

Why can we spend money on everything else (solar panels) but we can't for what ever reason, have a standard quality field and practice facility ?

I would think that would be your first priority.

:logo:Hail!

i was watching the redskins nightly news last week on redskins.com, and larry michael showed the workers working on the practice bubble. he said that the work couldnt start in september cause of all the rain

Gano made it sound like he wants an artificial turf field at FedEx. Boo hoo!

The other team's kicker kicks on the same surface. Stop pouting.

Redskins football is played on grass and mud. Look at how the mud has become a part of the Steelers identity since they moved away from the Astroturf at old Three Rivers Stadium.

The bubble was delayed because of all the rain in september/october in our region. they couldn't do the work until the ground hardened up.

thats what they said on the radio the other day, and it makes sense.

it's not an issue of money - the bubble is bought and paid for.

not every problem this team has is related to incompetence, some of it is dumb luck.

unless you believe snyder controls the weather...

edit: and i'm sure the college games are used to suplement the loss of income for regular games and the lack of season ticket renewals and money generated for regular games. i agree, our field should be kept in top shape for our guys and not destroyed the day before a game. i'm just offering what i believe to be a logical explanation...

Never should have been a college game played the day before. Stupid, greedy ownership

The same could be said for the Rooney's in Pittsburgh. They are stupid and greedy for allowing U of Pitt to play on the same field.

Must be why the Steelers usually suck.

if your letting others use the field, which they do, get field turf and be done with it. Those conditions are unacceptable for a professional field. I know in the 80s, playing in the mud, Redskins football etc etc, its 2011 and you cant win without throwing the ball.

if your letting others use the field, which they do, get field turf and be done with it. Those conditions are unacceptable for a professional field. I know in the 80s, playing in the mud, Redskins football etc etc, its 2011 and you cant win without throwing the ball.

I agree completely with the above post. With that being said it also makes sense that the practice bubble has been delayed because of the recent weather in the area. I am in the mind set that time and consistency from this coaching staff and front office will take care of many things on and off the field.

I just wish they would have a real focus on improving the basics and have better communication with the fan base. You don't need to wow us to keep everyone happy. I believe that being more transparent would go over much better.

In all fairness, if you look at other kickers records at Fedex, I bet you'd find a similar hit/ miss percentage.

The other kickers are kicking 80% at FedEx 8/10 one of those misses was blocked. Gano is kicking 73% at FedEx with 1 kick blocked and 2 misses over 45 yards. Gano shouldn't complain about FedEx's turf when he is even worse on the road.

The other kickers are kicking 80% at FedEx 8/10 one of those misses was blocked. Gano is kicking 73% at FedEx with 1 kick blocked and 2 misses over 45 yards. Gano shouldn't complain about FedEx's turf when he is even worse on the road.

Not questioning this.... but out of curiosity, where did you find these stats?

The field was fine on Sunday. Sure there may be spots that get chewed up even during the game. Football should not be played on fake grass. Players universally do not like it either.

Normally, Skins replace the turf at FedEx Field mid - season. Not sure if that was done this year. Haven't really paid that close attention to the field and haven't seen any reporting in the news. Folks already commented on the bubble. Snyder does not pinch pennies on the football team. He may spend it badly; but he does not pinch pennies on the team. Money is not the issue.

Just FYI, the Sendoff/Welcome Home crew has been observing the development of the practice bubble as it it right across from the main building (just inside the main gate).

What was posted is correct, they have been majorly delayed by all those rains we had a couple months back, but they are back on the ball and we have been watching the leveling of the area as well as foundation pieces being put in. If we see any new development, we will let you know

I will try to get some pics not this weekend but the following (Sendoff) weekend.

I compiled them myself.

And I would be glad to provide that data, if needed.

Thanks for doing that. I thought it was a good question and was about to take the time to do it myself.

I was wondering if the wear and tare of the field might be the reason Gano seems to get worse as the regular season goes on (after being nearly perfect every pre-season). Now that we know other kickers are doing just fine here, I'd say that answer is no as well.

It's a combo of poor blocking and poor kicking, IMO.

Archived