Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suspension Aside...Is Trent Williams Bordering "Disappointment"?

poultry_geist66

Good time to pick on his character but IMO bad time to pick on his play, he arguably lately has been playing his best football, the last three games.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 07:31 AM ----------

He's immature. 100% immature. The sky is the limit for him physically.

I'm not 100% sure that I care that he's missing 4 meaningless games. Honesty, who cares? I'm truly irritated that he's so freaking immature and does silly stuff outside the playing field.

The problem the way I understand it if they fail again they are suspended for a whole season. Keep in mind, as I understand the 11 players were warned when they failed the previous drug test, that if they failed again they'd be suspended, 9 of those players were smart and disciplined enough to cut out the weed, the two guys who weren't were Trent and Fred. so why should we be confident they can cut out the weed where they can avoid a future one year suspension?

Trent Williams has been average at best. Go back and look at the Bills, Cowboys and Niners games. He has bad movement, is not very physical and tends to give up once he's out of position. Is he terrible? No. But he's not "jumping out of the film", either. I don't think the word 'jump' is in his vocabulary.

You are wrong. He completely dominated Ware to a point the girls had to put him on the RT. He did to Clemons too. He has been playing some of the best LT in our division. This thread seems just to be a knee jerk since he got suspended. He probably doesn't JUMPOUT to you because you don't pay attention to OLINE.

The problem the way I understand it if they fail again they are suspended for a whole season. Keep in mind, as I understand the 11 players were warned when they failed the previous drug test, that if they failed again they'd be suspended, 9 of those players were smart and disciplined enough to cut out the weed, the two guys who weren't were Trent and Fred. so why should we be confident they can cut out the weed where they can avoid a future one year suspension?

I hadn't heard this. Anybody able to confirm?

I don't like him. I didn't like him before the suspension and I don't like him now. He's always come off as a low character unmotivated wad, and I don't even hold smoking ganga against him, lord knows it should be legal by now. That has nothing to do with his inconsistency or lack of maturity. He is not top-5 pick material so far, nowhere close.

Good time to pick on his character but IMO bad time to pick on his play, he arguably lately has been playing his best football, the last three games.

Seriously.

If we are putting his suspension aside, Trent has been excellent all things considered.

I think there is a huge disconnect between expectations and reality when it comes to highly drafted players among all fans, not just Redskins fans.

I am struggling to think, outside of Joe Thomas, of a first round (EDIT, scratch that, ANY) LT the past five years who has been better their first two years in the league.

I hadn't heard this. Anybody able to confirm?

hadn't herd what?

2nd suspendable offense is a whole season, it would actually be their 4th overall offense

as for the topic at hand...

I'm not conerned about his play on the field. He needs time to grow and become better, and he has no supporting cast (in the entire offense) to help him out.

I'm conerned about williams because of his attitude and decision making both on and off the field. The penalties, 3rd time busted for smoking pot, not bothering to even try to show up to the offseason workouts, they all add up to a person who doesn't take their job seriously or doesn't realize how dumb their decisions are; both are really bad from a guy you were hoping to be a cornerstone of your offense for a decade.

People laughed at the idea of being worried about the necklace he bought, some people even got out right angry in the way they discussed the topic. Unforunately it's sort of an 'i told you so' moment for the rest of us; it was just another glimpse into the mind of trent williams. The guy just isn't very smart, and is bordering on incredibly dumb at this point.

hadn't herd what?

2nd suspendable offense is a whole season, it would actually be their 4th overall offense

as for the topic at hand...

I'm not conerned about his play on the field. He needs time to grow and become better, and he has no supporting cast (in the entire offense) to help him out.

I'm conerned about williams because of his attitude and decision making both on and off the field. The penalties, 3rd time busted for smoking pot, not bothering to even try to show up to the offseason workouts, they all add up to a person who doesn't take their job seriously or doesn't realize how dumb their decisions are; both are really bad from a guy you were hoping to be a cornerstone of your offense for a decade.

People laughed at the idea of being worried about the necklace he bought, some people even got out right angry in the way they discussed the topic. Unforunately it's sort of an 'i told you so' moment for the rest of us; it was just another glimpse into the mind of trent williams. The guy just isn't very smart, and is bordering on incredibly dumb at this point.

I think it shows someone incredibly immature. But then again he's 23. Yes the necklace is dumb, but hey it's his money. Yes getting busted for smoking pot is incredibly stupid. Hopefully this is the proverbial wake-up call an immature kid needs. There are plenty of players who get in trouble, even suspended, and turn it around. Hopefully Trent can do this.

However his play cannot be questioned -- he has been every bit of the #4 overall pick -- especially lately. If you want evidence of that -- look at the games he missed. I love the Silverback and love watching him play. Hell I don't even mind some of the penalties -- it shows he has a mean streak. But the kid needs to get his head on straight. Hopefully Shanny and Allen will have a little discussion with him.

Time for him and Davis, for that matter, to grow up.

I think it shows someone incredibly immature. But then again he's 23. Yes the necklace is dumb, but hey it's his money. Yes getting busted for smoking pot is incredibly stupid. Hopefully this is the proverbial wake-up call an immature kid needs. There are plenty of players who get in trouble, even suspended, and turn it around. Hopefully Trent can do this.

However his play cannot be questioned -- he has been every bit of the #4 overall pick -- especially lately. If you want evidence of that -- look at the games he missed. I love the Silverback and love watching him play. Hell I don't even mind some of the penalties -- it shows he has a mean streak. But the kid needs to get his head on straight. Hopefully Shanny and Allen will have a little discussion with him.

Time for him and Davis, for that matter, to grow up.

His play - as in between the whistles, how he matches up against the other guy - has been good enough. I wouldn't say it 'cannot be questions', thats absurd. He has not played lights out for the majority of his two years here. He's played well, but I think some of you are so used to watching awful offensive linemen that you're way to willing to give the guy an A+. Again, I don't think eh's bad, and I think he's played well all things considered; i'm not ready to make him a annual pro bowler yet...

Unfortunately more than between the whistles matters in the NFL. He costs us huge pentalties (the team hasn't been in a situation where it really mattered, we're always out of the playoffs by mid/end october), and some of them have cost us games (or may have, who knows what happens if we don't get the penalty).

And the necklace rational can be used for the pot smoking thing - it's his money he looses on a suspension, so whatever he wants to do. Thats why it's not a good rational. (yes i know the necklace doesn't affect the team)

Yes, he can do what he wants with his money; but we can also make judgements about him as a person by what he does with his money. Right now any sane person is seriously questioning the most important thing about a person, what's between his ears.

And yes, smoking pot is a victimless crime and this country goes way overboard in how it handles it. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that, as an NFL player, you're asked to follow some pretty simple rules (most of which equate to: follow the law) in exchange for having the oportunity to make millions of dollars every year. Trent can't follow very simple rules; not only that but he broke them 3 times.

The 3rd time he broke them knowing damn well they were watching him and the next time would result in a suspension.

So the guy we spent a 4th overall draft pick is on one more failed test away from being out for an entire season.

an entire season

he hasn't even fished his second year yet.

all because of dumb decisions.

I was responding to the poster's comment about Williams & Davis being the only 2 of 11 that were warned but ignored the warning and got busted anyway, with the other 9 staying clean (paraphrasing)

it was on both 1067 and espn 980 this morning, when they were reading articles from the post and espn.

11 players got caught, nflpa negotiated a deal that didn't involve suspensions, of the 11 trent and davis are the only two to be suspended.

it's worth noting that (as of about an hour ago, things may have changed) there hasn't been any official word on it, so that could change. but it seems to be the numbers everyone is running with.

I'm not sure where, but, I read that if this was last season...they both would be gone for a year because they're repeat offenders.

Honestly, as bad as it would hurt us....if they fail again then good riddance. You can't be that stupid to repeatedly fail drug tests when you're making millions as an NFL athlete. Put the freakin blunt down, you're career is gonna be 8-10 years then you can smoke yourself blind.

This shows a serious lack of discipline and will power...something you need to be a successful NFL player. Tighten up.

I don't get all of the people who say Williams has been a disappointment. IMO, his only problems are his temper and the fact that he's getting suspended. He is a mauler in the run game and he's very good in pass protection. I think his value to the team was very obvious when he was out for a few games injured. The OL with him looks light years better than the OL without him.

If we could get a solid RT to help out the line, we'd be in pretty good shape.

:doh: all this talk about cutting Williams and Davis.. throw them away, and then of course we'll ***** that we have no talent.

Williams is not disappointing, he's in his SECOND season and playing well. Young players make occasional mistakes. Williams doesn't make them very often, and he's a mauler on the line. DeMarcus Ware turns into DeMarcus Where? whenever Trent squares up on him.

Our offense has a lot of problems, but Williams is not one of them. I think some of you expect to take the packaging off when they're rookies and expect them to play like All Pros right out of the box. It's unreasonable and short-sighted, which of course makes it par for the course for large portions of this fan base.

The internet is a pox on this team. We're ready to throw away anything and everything for anything and everything.

~Bang

Archived