Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suspension Aside...Is Trent Williams Bordering "Disappointment"?

poultry_geist66

Now bear with me here for a sec...(suspension aside for now, as I decided I felt this way after the 2nd Cowboys game this season).

I love our Skins...especially a lot of the players on this roster. So I'm hoping some of you can change my mind.

Trent Williams, so far, has been a disappointment to me.

I've been a huge Trent Williams Apologist since he was drafted. But, it's starting to get old. I really wanted to see him succeed more than anyone I know.

Being a former offensive lineman, I naturally tend to watch the line play. There's several things I've noticed.

1) Inconsistency in the running game (C+): Some games he looks great. I'll give him props on those. But, it seems about 2 of every 5 games (so not necessarily half the games), he's just lost out there. He's blocking like Cooley did when Cooley was coming back from the knee injury (anyone that knows what I'm referring to knows exactly what I mean). Especially when he's meant to make a block at the 2nd level.

2) Right Tackle worthy pass blocking ©: I notice when Trent has a decent pass blocking game, that a lot of praise is sent his way. He's flat out getting beat a lot more than a player of his potential should. The elite pass rushers have great games against him. The hurries are ridiculous. He seems to do decent against the average DE/OLBs. Some light at the end of the tunnel.

3) Mental Mistakes (D): Maybe it's because the timing of his penalties always seem to be at the worst time. But, this guy has killed his fair share of drives. Watch the top 10 LTs in the game...this does not happen. There has only been one player on the team more frustrating with his mental mistakes...LaRon Landry.

4) Are you injured, or hurt? (F): This was the knock on him coming into his draft. Fragile. He has done nothing but earn that distinction. As I watched him on the ground in the Cowboys game, screaming like he just got gutted, I felt like I had finally seen enough. I remember thinking, "Who is that? Trent Williams? Poor baby. Must be a hangnail."

I am by no means calling him a complete bust. Not saying we have another Tony Mandarich here. Still giving him some time to prove himself. But, my patience is getting very thin here.

Now...Suspension back on the table...I don't even know what to say. I want to hear/see more facts, but this doesn't help things. Maybe if he'd stop worrying about what BLING he's going to get the next week, he might perform better.

Trent "Silverback" Williams?

More like Trent "Koala" WIlliams.

Hope he steps up next season and proves me wrong.

No! Outside of the injuries and this suspension, absolutely not. He's been great this year once he got going, and is perhaps the biggest physical freak amongst a group of elite physical talents at the LT position in the NFL. Obviously that doesn't automatically transfer to production, as he needs to keep mastering the subtle technique of the position. But he's got the talent and the mean streak. He just needs the consistency, and health.

Anyone who has found Trent disappointing, except for maybe his stupid fouls here and there, can't evaluate OL play at all. That's my opinion. Now, its always possible that Trent goes into a downward spiral of immaturity and doesn't put in the work...but I don't think that will happen. I'm certainly not going to proceed on the assumption that it will, and that would be the only thing, besides another very serious injury or another failed drug test, that would make me consider him anything close to a bust.

He's had some rough periods in his short career so far, but he's also absolutely MAULED some of the best pass-rushers in the league. Hell, his rookie year he faced a murderer's row of elite pass-rushers week after week and performed above expectations. You'd see the mental lapses or the rough technique sometimes, but in general he was never horribly overmatched very often.

I think people were so used to Chris Samuels over the years that they began to forget how good he was, when healthy, and they take Trent's talent for granted as well, even though he's taken over fairly seamlessly, or as much as you can expect from a young, raw but talented player.

My only issues with him are the penalties, but I think in time he'll get a handle on them. On his overall performance, I think he's actually been pretty good. I think the "C" and "C+" grade in the OP are too low. I would rank them both at (at least) B's. The "F" for the injury thing, we can't really judge him on the pain he was actually feeling b/c we didn't actually experience it. He could have very well been in a lot of pain for all we know.

Trent Williams has been average at best. Go back and look at the Bills, Cowboys and Niners games. He has bad movement, is not very physical and tends to give up once he's out of position. Is he terrible? No. But he's not "jumping out of the film", either. I don't think the word 'jump' is in his vocabulary.

I'm fine with the way Trent has played, and I absolutely love that he brings an attitude and toughness to our team.

The one thing I worry about is his desire to be great. The knock on him coming out college was that there might be issues with work-ethic, and now we find out that he's been caught puffing on magical herbs by his employers on multiple occasions. Most of my pothead friends (including myself) have way more fun getting stoned and watching Eastbound & Down than we do lifting weights. I would just like him to take his career more seriously.

From what some of my buddies around the league have told me, you either have to be a real pothead or dumb as **** to get caught doing drugs in the NFL. The "random" tests are really not that random, and in most cases the players are informed when or if they might have one coming up. No one looks good when a guy gets suspended for drugs-- the player, the league, the coach, and the team are all much better off if it never comes to that.

Trent Williams has been average at best. Go back and look at the Bills, Cowboys and Niners games. He has bad movement, is not very physical and tends to give up once he's out of position. Is he terrible? No. But he's not "jumping out of the film", either. I don't think the word 'jump' is in his vocabulary.

He almost completely shut down Ware in the Cowboys game. He was a little inconsistent in the run game from what I remember, but consistency is the whole thing with him. He's got bucket-loads of talent and potential.

I think he's much closer to reaching it than you seem to, though. "Bad movement"? "Not very physical"? "Jumps not in his vocabulary"?

He's one of the most athletic LT's in the league, at a position known for the most freakish athletes on the OL.

He's a complete tool who will most likely get suspended for a full season in the near future. This team would be wise to invest in his replacement. I would not want to go into the season with a new rookie QB knowing that his blindside is being protected by a dumbass who is one bong hit away from sitting on his couch for 16 straight games.

For his play, he's been very good though. It's a shame and our FA shouldn't take this matter lightly. With any other position, you can take the risk. But for a LT, the drop off in talent from starter to backup is usually enormous.

This is strange considering his ability to recover is generally listed as his greatest attribute. Are we watching the same player?

It seems we're not, seeing as Trent didn't even play in the Bills game.

This is strange considering his ability to recover is generally listed as his greatest attribute. Are we watching the same player?

Exactly. His lateral agility is insane for an OL, and this guy thinks he's got "bad movement" and seems to think he's lumbering and un-athletic. No way he's watching the same guy. Maybe he thinks Trent is Jamaal Brown. ;)

Exactly. His lateral agility is insane for an OL, and this guy thinks he's got "bad movement" and seems to think he's lumbering and un-athletic. No way he's watching the same guy. Maybe he thinks Trent is Jamaal Brown. ;)

Judging by the fact games he didn't even play in are listed for poor performances I'm guessing it was a fairly arbitray analysis or he really was watching Brown/Locklear.

Really? What has he done to warrant disappointment? He played two bad games earlier in the year if memory serves but has been great in most of his toughest matchups and has looked good since returning from the injury.

If he can keep his stupidity in check I'm not worried at all.

In fact, the most disappointing thing about Trent Williams is EA Sport's stupidity in giving him a B potential in Madden. I had to go in and edit him up above 90, and then back down to where he was originally, to raise his potential to an A for my franchise.

So disappointing, Trent :(

I mean, EA.

I thought Trent completely manhandled people today vs the Jets, I saw Jammal getting worked almost every play, if you told me to go back to April 30th 2010 and do that pick over, I'd still pick Trent Williams. Guy is a stud. Brown however, is completely useless.

So would the Trent doubters rather we had picked Okung? From what I know about him, Trent outplays him and Okung is always getting hurt.

The reality of this is that Fred and Trent smoked during the lockout, probably a lot considering it was the only time they would have their freedom. So taking bong rips when your currently 'unemployed' translates into us needing to find their replacements? I am more upset with the NFL punishing players for their actions when they were not even considered being a part of the league at the time.

Trent WIlliams has the potential to be just as good as Chris Samuels was. And I agree he hasn't put together a flawless season yet. Before the Redskins drafted Williams, the mock drafts all had the Redskins drafting Russell Okung. Maybe Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan should have drafted Okung. Maybe they felt Williams was a little more athletic than Okung, but it makes you wonder whether or not sometimes they wished they had drafted Okung.

Trent Williams, from what I've seen, is an average left tackle. He's played like it for his first two seasons. When are we going to see this young man play to his utmost potential and become a pro bowler?

The one thing I worry about is his desire to be great. The knock on him coming out college was that there might be issues with work-ethic, and now we find out that he's been caught puffing on magical herbs by his employers on multiple occasions. Most of my pothead friends (including myself) have way more fun getting stoned and watching Eastbound & Down than we do lifting weights. I would just like him to take his career more seriously.

When I use to smoke, I actually did enjoy working out with a good buzz on. It made me focus and I use to have great lifting sessions.

From what some of my buddies around the league have told me, you either have to be a real pothead or dumb as **** to get caught doing drugs in the NFL. The "random" tests are really not that random, and in most cases the players are informed when or if they might have one coming up. No one looks good when a guy gets suspended for drugs-- the player, the league, the coach, and the team are all much better off if it never comes to that.

Not to mention that beating a urine test for marijuana is simple. With regard to Trent: I think it will sort itself out. I really want to see Willie Smith see some action however and hopefully now that will happen.

Archived