Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where can I learn HTML.. In a few hours ? Help

Lavarleap56

Ive been running a online madden league for extremeskins members and the site needs some help. I know HTML/Css are not something I can just master in a few hours BUT I need to start somewhere.

Basically the site is at this stage right now http://xtreme-madden.net/xm and I need to learn how to get it to something like this http://www.sodenbowl.com or like http://xtreme-football.net/DBC..

Any wiz kids out here trying to help a brother out?

I can't get the first link to work but the second and third have HTML, CSS and JavaScript in their coding. I'd have to say that unless you are a savant you'll need a ton of help.

I don't have the time to offer any help at the moment but if you still need some help after this semester I'll see what I can do.

but if you want to dive right in then there are a ton of tutorials online. Just about anything you could want to do to a website can be found somewhere.

Your link doesn't work from me so I can't see the state of your current site.

It looks like the other sites are built from templates and third party software like Vbulletin. Hand-coding something like this in HTML would be an awful task and ridiculous to maintain.

http://www.w3schools.com/html5/default.asp

W3 Schools is alright for learning the basics.

There are times in some advanced topics where things get a little less than web standards, but for learning the basics it should be acceptable.

Also, that Soden bowl page is pretty much all Javascript and pretty images. So knowing html might not solve everything.

If you right click on a page's contents, you can view it source. That might help to get some ideas as well.

--- EDIT ---

What the above said.. its mostly probably templates, flash, and more advanced stuff than html (the pages are dynamic)...

If you don't need real time results and can't just post updates to scores and stats every now and again, you might be able to get by with HTML, but it will look much worse than that.

I haven't done a ton of web work. However, I'm assuming you'll want to familiarize yourself with Adobe Dreamweaver.

SWIM often downloads professional video tutorials, to help learn software, via torrent (free). People buy these DVD's and copy them.. Theyre professional and made well, from what i've seen.. I'm trying to recall the name of the company who made the dvd's i was shown.. I dont know if youre familiar with torrents or not.. I'll gladly explain it to you, if not.. This same dude acquires all of his software with torrents as well.

To add some more confusion, I'd focus on joomla, a content management system, if I were you. There are a ton of template sites for it. It's modular so you can insert javascript and a lot of other goodies.

My workplace's website is run on drupal (another cms), I didn't do the programming, but I coordinated the development and produce the graphics.

Nevermind. I don't think joomla would be relevant for you after seeing your site.

SEven something simple like this http://xtreme-football.net/12THMAN is cool. I tried moving some of the colums to different places but I just end up messing it up. yea theres no way ill be able to get the java,css,and html in a short time frame.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 11:30 PM ----------

I know some of the codes I can copy and paste from another site. The codes for the redirect get me. Lets say I like how another site does their standings, I copy the code and paste it but how do I get it to pull my leagues standings vs theirs?

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

I can help you with HTTR :(

Lol funny guy.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 11:35 PM ----------

I can't get the first link to work but the second and third have HTML, CSS and JavaScript in their coding. I'd have to say that unless you are a savant you'll need a ton of help.

I don't have the time to offer any help at the moment but if you still need some help after this semester I'll see what I can do.

but if you want to dive right in then there are a ton of tutorials online. Just about anything you could want to do to a website can be found somewhere.

Sounds good,appreciate it.

I prefer sites like lynda.com ($20 or so a month, but I think it's worth it if you use it) because they're very structured and tell you what you need to know. The examples (all real video examples) are great and you don't waste time learning things that you find out later are outdated. I know the videos take a while to get through, but you'll at least be retaining the information.

Archived