Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS SIGN CB BRANDYN THOMPSON TO ACTIVE ROSTER; WAIVE CB DOMONIQUE JOHNSON

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Nov. 30, 2011

REDSKINS SIGN CB BRANDYN THOMPSON TO ACTIVE ROSTER;

WAIVE CB DOMONIQUE JOHNSON

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed cornerback Brandyn Thompson to the team’s 53-man roster. The team also waived cornerback Domonique Johnson.

Thompson (5-10, 177) spent the first four weeks of the season and Weeks 8-9 on the Redskins’ active roster, appearing in two games. Thompson saw action at cornerback in the Redskins’ Week 2 win against Arizona, and he appeared on special teams in Washington’s Week 3 game against Dallas.

Thompson was selected by the Redskins in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft last April after having appeared in 49 games at Boise State. For his college career, he amassed 146 tackles (95 solo), seven tackles for loss, 13 interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

With the addition of Thompson to the active roster, the Redskins currently have nine of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster. Rookie wide receiver Aldrick Robinson is currently on the team’s practice squad. Rookie wide receiver Leonard Hankerson and rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins are on the Reserve/Injured list.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

With the addition of Thompson to the active roster, the Redskins currently have nine of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster. Rookie wide receiver Aldrick Robinson is currently on the team’s practice squad. Rookie wide receiver Leonard Hankerson and rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins are on the Reserve/Injured list.

this is what i like here.. technically all 12 draft picks still on the team. thats gotta be a first.

this is what i like here.. technically all 12 draft picks still on the team. thats gotta be a first.

And you can't say it's because the team is so bad. Literally every single one of them with the exception of Aldrick Robinson has shown some ability to play in this league. Thompson is more of a special teamer at this point but the rest of the draft picks have all shown they can hold their own on the field either on defense or offense. I'm impressed. Even our seventh rounders: Markus White has gotten some snaps on defense and Maurice Hurt has filled in nicely for a 7th round rookie.

It doesn't really mean a thing if they're all gone in a few years like the Thomas/Kelly/Davis draft.

I really think Thompson can be pretty good though.

It doesn't really mean a thing if they're all gone in a few years like the Thomas/Kelly/Davis draft.

Well Fred Davis is still here. But is there anything at all that leads you to believe that Kerrigan, Helu, Hankerson, or Paul will be gone in a few years? Paul stays with us just from special teams ability. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on Jarvis Jenkins, until he plays a snap for us.

But seriously, you can't even compare the 2011 draft to the 2008 draft.

I really think Thompson can be pretty good though.

I'd like to say so, but I have no clue.

Well Fred Davis is still here. But is there anything at all that leads you to believe that Kerrigan, Helu, Hankerson, or Paul will be gone in a few years? Paul stays with us just from special teams ability. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on Jarvis Jenkins, until he plays a snap for us.

But seriously, you can't even compare the 2011 draft to the 2008 draft.

I'd like to say so, but I have no clue.

Did you think that out of our three second rounders that only Davis would be on the team today? I don't think Hankerson, Paul or even Helu have really gotten to the uncuttable status. I doubt it, but we've been excited about players that didn't pan out plenty of times.

Did you think that out of our three second rounders that only Davis would be on the team today? I don't think Hankerson, Paul or even Helu have really gotten to the uncuttable status. I doubt it, but we've been excited about players that didn't pan out plenty of times.

Thing is Helu, Hankerson and Paul have shown more IMHO than Thomas or Kelly ever did. Not to mention guys like Hurt Nield and Gomes are seeing significant playing time as late rounders. Only time will tell but so far the outlook is good.

Actually, Davis was probably the closest thing to a sure thing in that 2nd round. Kelly probably would have been next, if it weren't for all of his injuries. I always viewed Thomas as a boom or bust pick. Lots of talent, but not a lot of polish.

Thing is Helu, Hankerson and Paul have shown more IMHO than Thomas or Kelly ever did. Not to mention guys like Hurt Nield and Gomes are seeing significant playing time as late rounders. Only time will tell but so far the outlook is good.

It is hard to say at this point. We've seen guys with promise in the past flame out. Right now, Kerrigan is the only one who has shown game in-game out that he's going to stick around a while. Helu can get there, but he isn't there yet. Hankerson has shown progress, but we have to wait until next season to see. Everyone else is still pretty raw. (Not sure why you put Paul in there, when he hasn't shown more than Thomas. Right now his main asset is that he can block.)

Brandyn is an expert at living out of a suitcase by this point....

He's been on the same team all season. Why would he be living out of his suitcase?

To Longshot. Davis may have been the surest bet , but I remember many fans saying that he didn't make sense with Cooley on the team.

There are two ways to look at this. Either the former roster was really really bad or the coaches and GM did a really nice job of evaluating the rookies and exercising thier trades to get more players. Take your pick. My guess is it is a little bit of both. I hope they have the same success when they pick a quarterback.

Archived