Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jags fire Jack Del Rio

HogNose

Jack Del Rio has been fired as the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to team sources.

The Jaguars, who are 3-8 heading into a Monday night game with the San Diego Chargers, plan to announce the move at noon Tuesday.

Del Rio was the second head coach in the team's short history, replacing Tom Coughlin in 2003. He finishes his Jacksonville career with a 68-70 record, last leading the Jaguars to a winning record in 2007 when the team was 11-5. His teams were 1-2 in postseason play.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7293624/jacksonville-jaguars-fire-longtime-coach-jack-del-rio-sources-say

Ooooohhhhh....an in-season firing.

That warms the heart.

I think it's safe to say that Jacksonville could draft a QB in round 1.

:ols: at it warming the heart. I don't know if it's an automatic that they go QB in the 1st round. If Gabbert was Del Rio's call, then it's possible. However, if they do, this would put Gabbert on the market. :whoknows:

Good move by the Jags.

The worst thing Del Rio did was throw Gabbert into the fire and dump Garrard.

I don’t think that was Del Rio’s decision at all. I think it came from higher up. The Jags are up for sale, and having Garrard’s contract off the books helps make the team more attractive to potential buyers.

Del Rio took the bullet on the Garrard deal, but I can’t believe it was his call. He’s the fall guy here. It’ll be tough to convince someone to come and coach down there.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 11:14 AM ----------

Now way Del Rio made this call.

Via Twitter:

adbrandt Andrew Brandt

Jags release of David Garrard 3 days before season - saving 8M - now seems part of plan to improve balance sheet for sale of team.

They gave the GM a 3-year extension. Which seems like an odd choice for a team being sold--wouldn't it be MORE attractive to just allow whoever buys the team to handle that, if they don't want to bring in their own GM? Seems strange.

Also, if he's the one who made the call on Gabbert, then they won't be going QB in round 1 most likely.

So, will they still be called the Jaguars? I hope not, it would be fun having a totally new team. Too bad they're keeping the same ****ty GM. Makes no sense at all.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 12:17 PM ----------

So apparently it was just said during a live press conference that the team is supposed to stay in Jacksonville, yet there is no written agreement on this? Interesting.

I can't say I didn't see it coming, but I am a little surprised that they did it early
Supposedly they have an OC already there that they are high on. They probably wanna see how he can do these last few weeks. That'd be my guess.

Btw, Del Rio had the 3rd most tenure of any active coach.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 01:13 PM ----------

Off to LA they go
Jones-Drew is probably loving this. He played at UCLA.

I've never understood an in season firing at the end of the year. With other sports like basketball, hockey and baseball you have a ton of games to turn the season around. With football, it's different. The assistant coach will take over and basically do the same thing with the same plays and same signals. It's easier to change in the offseason.

Supposedly they have an OC already there that they are high on. They probably wanna see how he can do these last few weeks. That'd be my guess.

Well, they will have a nice five game sample-size to judge him with. Bucs, Falcons, Colts, Titans, and Chargers. If he wins more than one give him the job :D

(Of course they still have to interview a minority first. :doh: Unless he is a minority. :doh: :doh: )

Archived