Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grossman vs the Seahawks thread

Bang

Not a bad day, statistically.

Over 300 yards passing,, 2 nice TDs... a win.

So why don't I feel like i just watched a 300 yard passing day?

the two INTs were hard to swallow.. both of them seemed to be avoidable, and inexplicable. Rex decided what he was going to do well before he threw the ball into TRIPLE coverage on the deep pick, and the second one, he throws high to a 5'9 receiver playing against a 6'4 DB. Asking for trouble.

he had a terrific first quarter, and a good fourth quarter.

Against a poor team like Seattle, that's enough I guess.

What i can't shake from this win is the fact we could have / should have scored over 30.. what with the two INTs and the two missed field goals.

I guess that's a good thing. When you see the "almosts" I guess you can tell yourself they're starting to gel, to get it. or you can tell yourself that they left a lot on the field with sloppy play, and the spectacular re-emergence of Danny Smith horrible special teams. (ah, but that's another thread.)

I just can't decide which one it is. i should feel alot better about Rex's performance. So why don't I?

~Bang

Because Grossman is an average QB. There are several games we could have won this season if Grossman didn't make inexplicable decisions. However, he knows the system and shows that it works. If we get a better QB, there's no reason we shouldn't be scoring over 20 points every game.

Grossman is still valuable as a backup QB / mentor, I hope we resign him. His interceptions seem to come from him being blind, not because he doesn't know the system.

Against a poor team like Seattle, that's enough I guess.

I don't think the win changes anything about the reality of the Redskins, but the Hawks are not a poor team when they play at home. I get to see a lot of them, and for whatever reason the Seahawks manage to step up their game at home. They beat Baltimore in Seattle recently and overall have a good home record. Don't be surprised to see them beat San Francisco when they come to Century Link.

Anyway, to your point, I actually think Rex's game today was pretty impressive given he did it against Seattle at Seattle.

Like I was telling my dad, I'll take the 2 ints from Rex if he throws 2 TDs. He did his thing today, and it helped a lot finally having a running game again. This doesn't mean he's the future, but he may be able to keep a job here next season. People forget that good Rex is actually pretty good...

Like I was telling my dad, I'll take the 2 ints from Rex if he throws 2 TDs. He did his thing today, and it helped a lot finally having a running game again. This doesn't mean he's the future, but he may be able to keep a job here next season. People forget that good Rex is actually pretty good...

Not sure I agree that he is "pretty good," but I agree that he should keep a job here next year.....as a back up.

I just can't decide which one it is. i should feel alot better about Rex's performance. So why don't I?

Because you realized that, with the win, the Skins moved to a whopping 4-7.

In recent years we've gone to Seattle and won these crappy regular season games with Spurrier in 2002 and Zorn in 2008. But we couldn't beat these guys in the playoffs with Gibbs.....damn!!

But Rex had overall looked solid the past three weeks, and think he can either be the starter at the beginning of next season while a rookie gets up to snuff, or be a decent backup for us.

Grossman had a good game, quit complaining and expecting more than he is. Browner, who opened my eyes today but has made some notable plays throughout the year, made a GREAT catch. Was it the best decision? No, but again, I'm not expecting Brees out there. The one to Moss - honestly I thought Moss had his man beat and the ball was a bit underthrown but it was as if Moss never even saw the ball. He just kept running vertical while the DB made a play on it.

Grossman is who he is. He actually moves the ball really well in this offense. He finds the open man and he will always give his receivers a chance to make the big play if he thinks they've got a chance, even if it means risking a pick. He gives us a chance to win and I love his enthusiasm and desire. He is exactly what we want in a backup quarterback/guy who is going to transition for whoever eventually is the future. I like him, he makes mistakes but he is our guy.

i should feel alot better about Rex's performance. So why don't I?

~Bang

Im convinced, the dude is a true freak of nature.. Can look like Aaron Rogers one quarter, then turn around and look like he's never took a snap in his life the next.. Craziest damn thing I've ever seen.. I think he might be harder to figure out than Tim Tebow? :ols:

Several of his passes were a hair away from being picked.. perhaps this is why. Several times DBs dropped balls that they could have picked.. the game could have been a bad loss.. but I'll take a bit of luck.. it's not like we haven't seen enough of the bad bounces not going our way.

~Bang

People are very hard on Rex. The guy has been pretty darn good ever since he came back and it wasn't until today that he had any help. Yes, he throws picks, but he also moves the ball and finds the open man a lot -- and he's not throwing to Calvin Johnson. He's making the line look better than it is and his teammates respond to him -- Santana sounds like he would take a bullet for him. He's a very good backup and at times a solid starter. Highlights don't tell the story. I watch pretty much play of every NFL game during the week via NFL shortcuts and when it comes to QB play, we could be so much worse off.

And thank God we didn't draft Blaine Gabbert.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 03:51 AM ----------

Several of his passes were a hair away from being picked.. perhaps this is why. Several times DBs dropped balls that they could have picked.. the game could have been a bad loss.. but I'll take a bit of luck.. it's not like we haven't seen enough of the bad bounces not going our way.

~Bang

Moss also dropped a bomb from Rex in the first half and Gaffney cost him another passing TD, so Rex had some bad bounces too.

Sounds silly, but I just watched all the highlights for today's games, seeing all the backup QB's in action around the NFL. I wonder if Shanny would entertain trading Grossman. Texans are headed to the playoffs, Chiefs are fighting for the playoffs, Chicago is fighting for the playoffs. As unlikely as it would be, God, I'd love to see it.

because you watch him drop back, have time, pump the ball (meaning he sees what's going on and thinks it's best not to throw it), and then instead of moving to a secondary receiver he just chucks it up into triple coverage that he spent enough time looking at to pump fake.

if all goes perfect:

blocking is near flawless

receiver runs crisp exact route

coverage is exactly what they expected it to be

his first read is open

then he can complete a pass, but if one of those things is shaky he has trouble overcoming it.

saying grossman is limited is an understatement, although i will say that the throw to AAA traveled further than i thought he could throw.

i would be perfectly happy if someone else was the backup here next year behind our rookie savior that everyone on here is trying to say will set this team up for 10 years of unbridled success.

i just can't stand watching a guy who needs ideal situations to make throws that 75% of other starting quarterbacks could make against a full blitz.

Rex played a solid game today, he made a lot of clutch throws.

because he had to because he made bad throws.

rex scores a td for us, then hands one to the other team, then takes two quarters off allowing them to build a lead, and then makes a great throw.

that's the point of the OP. looking at his numbers you would think it was a good game (his 4th most yards in his career), but in reality you're watching some kind of weird mediocrity.

because he had to because he made bad throws.

rex scores a td for us, then hands one to the other team, then takes two quarters off allowing them to build a lead, and then makes a great throw.

that's the point of the OP. looking at his numbers you would think it was a good game (his 4th most yards in his career), but in reality you're watching some kind of weird mediocrity.

Rex can play if the Skins rookie QB is not ready yet, and the team will be competitive. But do i think he can lead a team to a Sb the answer is no.

Archived