Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why winning the game might actually help out our situation.

Hitman21ST

I've been waiting to write this thread :yes:

By getting a lower draft position, we lost value on the pick. I don't have the chart, but it is lower. Assuming the Colts aren't going to take Luck and are willing to trade the pick, they will inevitably demand a king's ransom for it, to beef up the players around Manning.

Having a lower pick, but still a top 10 (maybe even top 5) means we need to trade more picks to match. The Colts will want as many picks as they can get for that #1 spot. By having to offer more picks to them to be able to trade up, we may have unintentionally improved our chances of getting that pick.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, the only other game I possibly see us winning is Minnesota. We are, at best, 5-11. More than likely 4-12 though. It's not the end of the world. We will still get our guy.

How about the 7 other rounds of the draft?

You're honestly worried about the dropoff between the 75th pick and the 81st?

---------- Post added November-27th-2011 at 07:48 PM ----------

You are fooling yourself if you think the Colts arent taking Luck. And i personally would be pissed if we gave up a Kings ransom for him when we have multiple holes on the entire offense.

Two players, $60M in cap space, and only one can play. You really think they are taking Luck?

Two players, $60M in cap space, and only one can play. You really think they are taking Luck?

Manning will take 28. Who is going to trade for a 28 million dollar injury case?

Luck will cost, maybe five. Newton got 22 million over four years. Luck will get something similar. The Colts can afford to draft Luck and they will.

Manning will take 28. Who is going to trade for a 28 million dollar injury case?

Luck will cost, maybe five. Newton got 22 million over four years. Luck will get something similar. The Colts can afford to draft Luck and they will.

Yeah, you're right. They're not going to take the picks, the second or third best Qb in the draft, sit him behind Manning for a couple years while they build up the rest of the team to support the successor. They'll just take Luck and hope he can have the same effect as Manning. With all those picks, they could get another stud receiver, upgrade the line, get some help on the D, and still be in a good situation at QB.

I wouldn't be so sure of that as you are sounding. The Colts owe Manning big time, and they owe their fan base, who still love Manning. The number of picks the Colts would get in a trade is enough to build around Peyton and give him another shot at a title before he retires. Plus, the Colts will get future picks, so they'll have what they need to get a franchise QB in a few seasons. They want a good ending to the Manning era, and shuffling him out early, even if it is for Luck, is going to piss off a good chunk of their fanbase.

Plus, an 0-16 team is going to need a lot to build back up. Manning already masks a lot of those weaknesses, and the great amount of picks the Colts would get would reduce the rest of the weaknesses, and greatly incraese the chances of the team being good when their future QB replacement is drafted and takes over.

Ok, so....is the thinking that the Colts will value an extra pick in the first 5 rounds over an extra pick in the first 4 rounds, even though those extra 4 picks in the first 4 rounds could be about 6 spots higher each round?...Is that the main thrust of the argument?

Yeah. After the first round, the "value" of picks is a lot closer to each other, so you're not losing much in the way of value. More picks = more chances of getting a good pick. It all depends on if the Colts value quantity over quality, and with all the areas of concern on their roster, I think they will.

We hurt our draft status but Rexy has balled the last two games and the fans will be fine with him as the vet to keep to train the draftee we will take....I'd still want a top 5 pick if the cards fall for us. We need to lose to Minn though and need Cleve and Mia to win more than us.

They can cut peyton after one season. Yea, i think they are getting luck. You dont let a pick like this get away.

Yeah. After the first round, the "value" of picks is a lot closer to each other, so you're not losing much in the way of value. More picks = more chances of getting a good pick. It all depends on if the Colts value quantity over quality, and with all the areas of concern on their roster, I think they will.

It's a tough call; I'd say it all depends on how they feel after they've been able to poke, prod, measure, time, study, and interview him.

FWIW, Cam Newton signed a 4 year 22 million dollar deal as the #1 pick in 2011. Luck at best may get a 4 year 25 or so million since everything is slotted now so their combined cap numbers will be no where near 60 million. More like 30 million. Reguardless ALuck's cap number (less than 7 million) won't factor into the situation. The only thing that will is, can you win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning before he retires or needs to retire. If the Colts think their best chance to win a superbowl is to get a bounty of picks and use them to surround Manning with talent, then they'll deal the pick. But with Manning being 36 next march, do they believe that they he can win with a bunch of rookies? Especially since future picks would be involved and Manning only has a few years left. If they don't believe that they can surround Manning with the talent to win a super bowl, then the best thing for the franchise is to take a QB.

Seeing how Snyder made deals out of 0 cap space' date=' im sure they can find a way. Cut a few older defensive players. Trade some pieces away. Start completely over.[/quote']

So, they will pay him a preposterous sum of money to play one year on a terrible team, and the reason this makes sense is because....they'll have to make the terrible team worse to do so?

It'a almost too brilliant.

Archived