Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Shanahan Era - A Positive Outlook

Tomel

This is intended to be a positive thread. As a Redskins fan since the late 50's, I will start the thread with my thouhts and encourage others to add theirs.

I'm encouraged with the direction the Skins are headed. We've focused on the offensive and defensive lines with our last two top draft picks and, because of injuries on the offensive lines, some of our younger guys are getting experience. Experience that should enable Shanahan to determine whether we have any potential starters or competent backups that will serve us in the future. Given the past neglect of the guys in the trenches and big name free agent failures, the lines should have been and have been top priorities. What good is having our franchise quarterback if he constantly has to run for his life.

Regarding our quarterback, what choice did Shanahan have coming in other than to try to make do as an interim, stopgap measure? McNabb flopped, but wasn't it worth a try - again, just as a stopgap until we could acquire the quarterback of the future. Given the draft picks we traded away and the money spent on big name free agents, Shanahan did not really have much of an opportunity or the cap space to get the top free agent quarterback or top quarterback in the draft. From what I understand, we do have some flexibility in the cap now and a decent number of picks in the upcoming draft. I think Shanahan's grand plan is playing out as he and Bruce Allen hoped and I would be surprised if we didn't go after our future quarterback this offseason. I know a lot of people say Shanahan has shown misplaced trust and confidence in Grossman and Beck. Frankly, I would have done the same whether it was true or not. What's he supposed to say publicly? That we have two barely competent quarterbacks that are just fill-ins until I can get the guy I want. That would do a lot for Grossman's and Beck's confidence and the results would be even worse than what we've experienced (if that's possible). It certainly would have been demoralizing for Grossman and Beck, not to mention the rest of the team.

One other positive from my perspective. Over the past two years, we've gotten rid of quite a few players that were self-promoters and not "team" guys. We've also gotten rid of players that, while good a one time, were on the downside of their careers.

Sure, there are other teams that have shown much quicker turnarounds. But some of those teams had higher picks in the last several drafts, some of those teams had a lot more cap space firepower, and some of those teams did not have the starting level of dysfunction that we had as a result of the previous approach taken by Snyder, Cerrato and others.

All in all, I think we're finally moving in the right direction and will soon see the benefits of the "behind the scenes" strategy that Shanahan and Allen have mapped out.

Regarding our quarterback, what choice did Shanahan have coming in other than to try to make do as an interim, stopgap measure? McNabb flopped, but wasn't it worth a try - again, just as a stopgap until we could acquire the quarterback of the future. Given the draft picks we traded away and the money spent on big name free agents, Shanahan did not really have much of an opportunity or the cap space to get the top free agent quarterback or top quarterback in the draft. From what I understand, we do have some flexibility in the cap now and a decent number of picks in the upcoming draft. I think Shanahan's grand plan is playing out as he and Bruce Allen hoped and I would be surprised if we didn't go after our future quarterback this offseason. I know a lot of people say Shanahan has shown misplaced trust and confidence in Grossman and Beck. Frankly, I would have done the same whether it was true or not. What's he supposed to say publicly? That we have two barely competent quarterbacks that are just fill-ins until I can get the guy I want. That would do a lot for Grossman's and Beck's confidence and the results would be even worse than what we've experienced (if that's possible). It certainly would have been demoralizing for Grossman and Beck, not to mention the rest of the team.

I think the Skins go after a QB in next years draft. Other than Dalton, last years QB class, hasn't really done much. And Shanny has been criticized for not getting a decent QB in the offseason. WHO? So, they knew that Beck and Grossman weren't the answer. The Skins didn't touch an old Matt Hasselbeck. How much did the Titans spend for him? Yeah!

This is part of the building process. The defense was the focus this past offseason. Ryan Kerrigan has made a huge difference. The Skins are 2nd in the league in sacks, 11th in total defense. That side of the ball has improved. But nobody says anything about that. The focus will be on the offense in the offseason. QB, WR, OL etc. Just stay patient Skins nation.

I think the Skins go after a QB in next years draft. Other than Dalton, last years QB class, hasn't really done much. And Shanny has been criticized for not getting a decent QB in the offseason. WHO? So, they knew that Beck and Grossman weren't the answer. The Skins didn't touch an old Matt Hasselbeck. How much did the Titans spend for him? Yeah!

Other than Dalton? Cam Newton is having a pretty good year no? Also Locker looked really good both in preseason and when he played last week - Ponder has had some nice moments as well and I would not close the book on Gabbert yet. I was fine with us not trading up, we had too many other holes and if we did not rate Gabbert the trade back was a good move - hard to argue with the Kerrigan pick.

I think we did expect more though out of both Rex and Beck and with hindsight - and maybe without it - going into the year with them at QB had us doomed before we started. I do agree that there were not many good options on the FA market though and thats why just about all of us understood before the season stated this was going to be a rebuiding year. Then we won 3 games early and people got excited.

This is part of the building process. The defense was the focus this past offseason. Ryan Kerrigan has made a huge difference. The Skins are 2nd in the league in sacks, 11th in total defense. That side of the ball has improved. But nobody says anything about that. The focus will be on the offense in the offseason. QB, WR, OL etc. Just stay patient Skins nation.

Agree with you here. Getting the offense turned around like we turned around the defense last offseason is the job ahead of us this offseason.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I agree. Our foundation has been so bad for so long that the quick turnaround that everyone sees with other teams is not going to happen here. Unfortunately, the building process is going to take time, but it's going to happen. We have to have patience and put trust in Shanny/Allen.

Hail To The Redskins.:point2sky

Not only is this positive, it's correct.

However, the o-line needs to be paid much more attention in the upcoming offseason. Our depth is coming from rookies, UFA's, and scrubs. And we will undoubtedly be watching the next era of Redskins QB begin next year.

I was happy heading into the season with Rex/Beck. Shanahan did some serious lip service for the pair and I never believed he was totally enamored with them like the media believed he was. We had 2 QB's who had a good understanding of the offense and were serviceable, basically backups. Obviously, Shanahan got Beck completely wrong but I believe Rex meets these qualifications. QB's like Kyle Orton and Carson Palmer would've costed us draft picks, and a Vince Young or Matt Hasselbeck would've had to learn a supposedly very difficult offense in a matter of weeks. And with either of those QB's, are we all of the sudden in the playoffs with a franchise QB who is going to be here for years or are we making the same mistake we made just a year ago?

I will gladly stand back and watch as the team is built the right way with our own homegrown players.

Archived