Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Radley Balko (HuffPo): Driven By Drug War Incentives, Cops Target Pot Smokers, Brush Off Victims Of Violent Crime

ACW

Are the Redskins a playoff team with a quarterback?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Redskins a playoff team with a quarterback?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/21/drug-war-incentives-police-violent-crime_n_1105701.html

Lady is assaulted.

Two weeks later, Shaver still hadn't heard from the detective assigned to her case. When she finally went to the police station in person to get an update on the investigation, she was told there was no record of the incident. She filed another report, but was told it was unlikely police would be able to track down the witnesses again, and that even if they were, the witnesses' memories were likely to have faded. Shaver says she decided to investigate on her own. She went back to the Flat Iron and questioned customers and employees herself. A bartender gave her the men's nicknames: "Cory" and "Sonny," the guy who hit her. Shaver learned that Sonny was also a reputed cocaine dealer. She heard he had a violent streak, and had been banned from a number of neighborhood bars

"I was scared," Shaver said. "I'd heard bad things about this guy, and he knew who I was."

Shaver is thoroughly tattooed, which makes her easy to recognize. So she dyed her hair, covered her tattoos with clothing, and kept investigating. She worked her way through social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace until she was able to put actual names to her attackers' faces and nicknames. And yet she still couldn't get anyone at Chicago PD to help her. "I gave them the guy's name and everything," she said. "There were even hip hop videos online with him in them. I told them, 'That's the guy!' They still wouldn't listen to me.

"

In August 2010, three months after the attack, Shaver contacted a reporter for Time Out Chicago, who began asking around about her case. Shaver also met with Chicago Alderman Joe Marino.

Shortly before the Time Out article went to press, a detective finally called Shaver down to the police station to identify her attacker. But even with her identification, the police didn't arrest "Sonny." He wasn't charged with the assault until the following month, when he was arrested on an unrelated domestic violence charge.

Shortly after she finally identified her attacker at the police station, Shaver said the detective in charge of her case told her, "Now I don't want to hear any more ****ing from you."

Guy ends up getting 6 months probation.

Meanwhile:

Shaver, her then-boyfriend and a roommate were in the apartment with her four dogs when the door flew open with the crash of a battering ram. "I thought we were being robbed," Shaver recalled. "It wasn't clear to us that they were cops at all. I had a flashback to my attack. I was just terrified. I peed myself. I had peed myself, and I was shaking, trying to gather my dogs while they were pointing these guns at me -- these huge guns that could blow me apart. My Vizsla mix ran off, and I was afraid they were going to shoot it. I asked if I could get it, and they said 'We don't give a **** about your dog.'"

According to the search warrant, the police were searching for Nate. Shaver said they looked through Nate's belongings gathered on the couch and found about $900 and a sandwich bag filed with marijuana. They didn't leave a receipt for what they took...

...Shaver's boyfriend and roommate were handcuffed. Shaver started to panic. She told the police about her prior assault, and asked if she could take some anti-anxiety medication and change her clothes. They refused.

Twice a victim :(
Last July, more than a year after her attack, Shaver's assailant "Sonny" was finally convicted. He was sentenced to six months of probation. Reflecting back on the last tumultuous two years, Shaver says, "It just doesn't make sense. Repeat violent offenders get to walk while casual pot smokers get terrorized by SWAT teams. I'm pretty disappointed in the justice system."
:mad::mad::mad:

They title is hysterical cause its not true.. Cops dont care about pot smokers at all. Nothing is less interesting to a cop then a little baggie of weed..... There is a LOT missing to this story..

what the story doesnt say is that the search warrantt was for nate because he's a drug dealer and they hit the house at the wrong time.. Maybe a day earlier and they find 9k and 3lbs of weed.... Prescript drugs etc.

One of the more perverse incentives that exists in the Drug War (but really any form of government) is called Civil Forfeiture... Anyway, people accused of drug dealing (conviction NOT necessary, hell you can be acquitted and still lose your property) can have their property seized by the police agency. So someone accused of being drug dealer can have their home, car, boat, and cash, seized by the police or the FBI. In CA when police make such seizures, the money from the auctioned properties does not go to the general state budget, but instead to the specific police departments budget... oh and they have an agreement w/ the Feds so if the Feds get to the stuff before the local cops, the local cops still get a percentage of the loot.

it's downright repugnant...

One of the more perverse incentives that exists in the Drug War (but really any form of government) is called Civil Forfeiture... Anyway, people accused of drug dealing (conviction NOT necessary, hell you can be acquitted and still lose your property) can have their property seized by the police agency. So someone accused of being drug dealer can have their home, car, boat, and cash, seized by the police or the FBI. In CA when police make such seizures, the money from the auctioned properties does not go to the general state budget, but instead to the specific police departments budget... oh and they have an agreement w/ the Feds so if the Feds get to the stuff before the local cops, the local cops still get a percentage of the loot.

I recall reading that supposed, in some places (the Salem witch trals?) the rule was that all of the witch's property went to the witch's ACCUSER. That when the law was changed so that the person making the accusation didn't get all the accused's property, the accusations suddenly stopped.

Ah yes, asset forfeiture. Don't even get me started. And not to mention, it's the PROPERTY that's accused :gus:

Things we can take from this story:

She jumped on 2 men fighting her boyfriend and 'pryed' them off for the boyfriend to get away and leave her to take a couple punches to the face and loss of money.

(this is why he's now called the roommate).

She contacted the cops a few times but they didn't take:

A FIGHT OUTSIDE A BAR serious when she states she jumped them and 'pryed' them off her roommate:

After annoying the cops for 1.5 years to look into the case and "caused enough scrutiny" to get her apartment noticed for selling pot.

and is bitter she didn't get a receipt for the money the cops stole also after raiding the place and confirming their suspicions,

Hence, Violent crimes caused by a women that lead to an arrest for distribution by the same women shows the system is broken.

Though she did save another women from a scary look. she got her roommates face beat in and then put in prison.

Title of the thread should read: Roommate much safer in prison.

Oh really?

ACW, let me be honest for a minute...half the reason no one takes you seriously is because you never actually post anything. You post an article and your entire contribution/opinion is things like "Twice a victim" and angry face smilies. When someone posts a rebuttal, or any opinion of their own, your response is generally something along the lines of "Oh really" as you posted above, or "you're wrong" with a stfu smilie, or something similar. I've never once seen you post an actual paragraph on any of this stuff reflecting an original thought, or a solution to any of the problems you ***** about. Just three - five word answers with childish smilie faces.

I don't agree with a large amount of the stuff some posters write, Larry or Destino for instance, but I respect their thoughts because they take the time to actually write something and back it up. How much do you think people would pay attention to them if their entire opinion was "No, you're wrong:stfu:"

Maybe post less and put some thought into what you write. I know I'd probably pay more attention to you, and I'm pretty sure others would too.

Pot smokers make more willing and easily managed slaves when they're incarcerated and forced to pick vegetables for the for-profit prison industry.

~Bang

Good practice when they get out and pick hippie lettuce in states where they smoke tree for err medical purposes, yeah thats it.

The thread title may be misleading, but it's not necesarily false. I know multiple women who have been victim of violent/sexual crime who were never able to enjoy justice; seems like the authorities simply didn't care enough to persue it. Happens much too often.

And if you really think that cops don't care about a bag of dope, you're wrong, simply put.

And if you really think that cops don't care about a bag of dope, you're wrong, simply put.

Not that they dont care but a bag of dope is an infraction in my state and will be nollied in court if arrested.. So if the bag of dope leads to nothng more then a bag of dope.. Cops dont care.

Having said that if you have a piss poor attitude and are a idiot.. Your bag of dope will become a big deal

The thread title may be misleading, but it's not necesarily false. I know multiple women who have been victim of violent/sexual crime who were never able to enjoy justice; seems like the authorities simply didn't care enough to persue it. Happens much too often.

Or, there's the fact that sexual assualts are many times difficult to prosecute.

In regards to marijuana, I'm not a cop, but I work a fair amount with law enforcement in my day job as an FDA tobacco inspector and I can tell you, TYPICALLY, cops aren't going to raid a house for a small, personal stash of MJ. They will raid a house, however, if investigative efforts lead to suspicion of a large amount of MJ and/or other illegal products at a home, or there is good evidence that suspects within the house are dealing.

I think the sentiment that cops are more likely to prioritize that which brings in revenue are widespread and not easily written off. I wouldn't say cops "brush off victims of violent crimes" and frankly that strikes me as entirely unfair and false. They will not however investigate such crimes with the same budget or manpower. When is the last time you heard about a surveillance job on a suspected abusive spouse for instance.

Money absolutely plays a role.

Archived