Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Remote Start

MissU28

What kind of car is it? It's going to involve splicing wiring, not difficult, but in my experience most people, even many mechanics seem to think wires are simply where magic happens. Hell, I'm still constantly astounded by how many long time technicians at my own dealership cannot competently read a wiring diagram and how little knowledge they have of how the electrical system in a car works.

What kind of car is it? It's going to involve splicing wiring, not difficult, but in my experience most people, even many mechanics seem to think wires are simply where magic happens. Hell, I'm still constantly astounded by how many long time technicians at my own dealership cannot competently read a wiring diagram and how little knowledge they have of how the electrical system in a car works.

She has a 2011 Kia Sorento

I would just have it installed. Usually the place where you buy it will give you a decent deal to install it. It's definitely worth it to have it installed professionally. What I did when I had it professionally installed was say I was going to get the oil changed in the car. They will give you a new key fob and the old one will still work for unlocking the doors. Put the new one in a box and under the tree.

I gave one as a Christmas gift a few years ago and it was one of the best gifts I ever gave.

I would just have it installed. Usually the place where you buy it will give you a decent deal to install it. It's definitely worth it to have it installed professionally. .

THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Don't attempt to do this yourself. Best Buy has some good deals. My car at the time didn't have an alarm, and I got a remote start/alarm system installed for like $200. Warranty and all that good stuff.

Just make sure you bring both keys with you, I think they need both keys to program the car.

Not off the top of my head, but try crutchfield.com... you can talk to one of their techs and they'll guide you to a good one OR just read the user reviews. I think it's pretty reliable.

BTW, I think the idea is a fantastic gift. I live in a cold climate and I've been thinking of a remote starter for years!

Viper has been rather popular over the years,but I would ask whoever you plan to install it.

---------- Post added November-24th-2011 at 08:42 PM ----------

You might want to check if kias have remote start available from the factory. We had it put on our Tahoe and all we had to do was by new fobs, the dealership programmed the cars computer for the fobs and we had the remote start, no wiring needed.

It is available for the LX model only

http://www.kia.com/#/sorento/explore/acc_electrical/

GM's have been prewired for awhile since the started pushing Onstar.

You might want to check if kias have remote start available from the factory. We had it put on our Tahoe and all we had to do was by new fobs, the dealership programmed the cars computer for the fobs and we had the remote start, no wiring needed.

It is available for the LX model only

http://www.kia.com/#/sorento/explore/acc_electrical/

GM's have been prewired for awhile since the started pushing Onstar.

ooooh, good to know! I think my mom has an LX, I'll check with Kia. That would be awesome if they could just program a FOB for her. Thanks!!

How much are you looking to spend ?

I have a few things to say here (I have remote starters in all of my cars)

A 2-way system is an option . What that means is the remote will confirm that the car has started. Cool feature, but not always needed. My bedroom faces my driveway, so I can just look out the window and see that it has started.

One thing about a 2 way system is if you get one with a pretty decent range, if you are at work or out somewhere you can remote start without even seeing your car and confirm that it has started.

Don't waste too much money on a system if she wouldn't need a 2 way system or an alarm.

Best Buy does often offer free installation "technically", but they will inevitably rack up some extra charges for this extra part, or something.

When they install make sure you get enough time for the car to actually warm up and defrost, they can adjust that. Certain places have laws about leaving cars running for x amount of time, but I have never seen the car idling Police in my neighborhood.

I would 100% suggest getting a professional to install it. They will make sure it is done properly. Your remote thing should be able to lock and unlock the doors, start the car obviously, should NOT start when the hood is open, run for a pre-selected time, sometimes offer a panic option, most times open the trunk (sometimes that does cost more to install).

Viper is a pretty common brand, Direct Electronics, Bulldog, tons of others. I think I have Vipers in 2 cars, and DE in the other 2. I personally like having a back up remote thing, but most times you dont really need it unless sharing a car or you are the type that loses stuff.

Either way it is a great gift, my go to gifts for people that have pretty much everything are remote starters or Sirius radio. haha.

Hope she enjoys it R.

- KH

How much are you looking to spend ?

I have a few things to say here (I have remote starters in all of my cars)

A 2-way system is an option . What that means is the remote will confirm that the car has started. Cool feature, but not always needed. My bedroom faces my driveway, so I can just look out the window and see that it has started.

One thing about a 2 way system is if you get one with a pretty decent range, if you are at work or out somewhere you can remote start without even seeing your car and confirm that it has started.

Don't waste too much money on a system if she wouldn't need a 2 way system or an alarm.

Best Buy does often offer free installation "technically", but they will inevitably rack up some extra charges for this extra part, or something.

When they install make sure you get enough time for the car to actually warm up and defrost, they can adjust that. Certain places have laws about leaving cars running for x amount of time, but I have never seen the car idling Police in my neighborhood.

I would 100% suggest getting a professional to install it. They will make sure it is done properly. Your remote thing should be able to lock and unlock the doors, start the car obviously, should NOT start when the hood is open, run for a pre-selected time, sometimes offer a panic option, most times open the trunk (sometimes that does cost more to install).

Viper is a pretty common brand, Direct Electronics, Bulldog, tons of others. I think I have Vipers in 2 cars, and DE in the other 2. I personally like having a back up remote thing, but most times you dont really need it unless sharing a car or you are the type that loses stuff.

Either way it is a great gift, my go to gifts for people that have pretty much everything are remote starters or Sirius radio. haha.

Hope she enjoys it R.

- KH

Thanks for the info. I am not sure how much I will spend, but I am estimating in the $100-$150 range? I can go up in price and make my boyfriend or brother go in on it with me :) I basically envision her using it in the mornings when she's getting ready for work. If you start the car when you're in the building at work, do the doors stay locked? I thought it was illegal in VA to have your car running with nobody in it if you're not on private property- I could be way off.

I just thought you stand at the door and press "turn on" and you hear the car turn on and you're done with it.

Yeah the doors stay locked. When you get in the car you have to put your key in and turn the ignition halfway to keep it on, if you hit the brake before that it will shut off automatically. It is a safety feature so someone can't just steal your running car and I think that is part of what the VA law is the other part is to prevent people from having a getaway car waiting. Seriously. haha.

As far as being able to hear it... depending on the car, I will hear the horn acknowledge, or see the lights flash. That typically means it has started. I can only really hear one of the cars start from inside the house because my Challenger is loud to begin with.

You might be able to get in and out for around the 150-200 range. I think I paid 170 for the most recent one I had.

If she will not utilize a 2 way system it is certainly not a need. To me 2 way is like heated seats once you have a remote starter. Once the car is warm the seats are warm, therefore heated seats are not needed either. I have it on 2 cars but rarely use it because I am normally in warmer climates to begin with. I can start it while walking towards the car to start cooling the car down in the summer.

ooooh, good to know! I think my mom has an LX, I'll check with Kia. That would be awesome if they could just program a FOB for her. Thanks!!

It might be a good way to go, I had my dad get the Fobs (he works for a gm dealer) and I only cost me a hundred dollars. We then went back to our salesman we bought the truck from and he got them programmed for free.

Seeing as the he vehicle is so new if you can use a factory remote it might prevent any warranty issues should a problem arise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a Viper system installed in my 2011 Ford Escape at Best Buy. The system cost $219 which included basic installation and was the cheapest one I saw there, but Best Buy said the new cars (2010 and up) require a bypass system which will cost you an extra 50 bucks and is not part of the "basic" installation. I have a 1 way system and it works perfectly fine, good range and everything.

Archived