Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CapitalGainsAndGames.com: More Time Won't Produce A Super Committee Deal

Fergasun

CapitalGainsAndGames.com: More Time Won't Produce A Super Committee Deal

The whole thing is worth reading.

Strong leadership means going beyond your partisan base to do things that later prove to be for the long-run good of the country. Unfortunately, we don't have that now in the Congress or in the White House, and no additional time is going to fix it. We will stagger along without doing much to boost our economy or to cut the deficit until the 2012 election. That's what weak leadership does, it postpones and equivocates, it explains away the problems, until the voters can't take it anymore. And don't expect a severe market downturn or ratings agency downgrade to break this gridlock. That would just become more fodder for the 2012 election campaign blame game. We're stuck until then.

For 4 years now I feel like I'm watching the "kick the can" Congress. They don't even follow the laws that they pass, ie. continuing to repeal the Medicare "doc fix", not allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire, and now there are rumblings about repealing the automatic spending cuts which were in the Super Committee Deal. I don't want to be stuck in the cross-fire anymore... I'm sick of hearing the politicians blame the other side for their own failings in coming up with a deal. What's worse is that I hear the GOP continuing to over-deliver on what they can come 2012 when they kick Obama out of office. You really think you are going to re-take the Senate and the White House, repeal Obamacare, implement the Paul Ryan budget plus a balanced budget amendment, and in doing so "save the country as we know it"? Tell me why the Presidential hopefuls are all talking about tax reform, when last time I checked it wasn't the President who wrote the tax code. The left is just as bad, right now they don't have to be as vocal about their promises since their man is in office; they may not even have to run on their own promises in 2012.

Oh, I agree. (At least with the part you quoted. Haven't read the link.)

The reason nothing is going to get done is because the Republicans think that "block everything, and blame the other side" is better than "be seen in public compromising".

And, so far, they've been right. (Looks like they're going to be right, again.)

The Supercommittee only needed to cut spending by 2%. :doh:

And Steve is right - both sides suck. Nobody who worked on Bowles Simpson or the Gang of Six (anyone who had proved they were willing and competent to work out a good deal) was allowed on this committee. The only non Super-Partisan was John Kerry, and I'm convinced that's because they knew he would step up in front of the cameras at the end and be the most effective finger pointer at the GOP.

You righties can be so delusional sometimes. The democrats have been willing to cut most programs they really don't want to while the republicans refuse to consider revenue increases (especially on the rich for some odd reason) of ANY kind. The income gap between rich and poor is widening to the highest levels since the great depression yet the rich shouldn't pay more in taxes at all. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The Supercommittee only needed to cut spending by 2%. :doh:

And Steve is right - both sides suck. Nobody who worked on Bowles Simpson or the Gang of Six (anyone who had proved they were willing and competent to work out a good deal) was allowed on this committee. The only non Super-Partisan was John Kerry, and I'm convinced that's because they knew he would step up in front of the cameras at the end and be the most effective finger pointer at the GOP.

Wait, you feel like Fred Upton is super-partisan?

Archived