Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Invade Pittsburgh 2012 - Oct. 28th

HTTR F Dallas

For years now, visiting fans have invaded FedEx Field every Sunday. And no fan base more than the Pittsburgh Steelers, most notably on MNF in 2008. As a Redskins fan this pisses me off… while either in the Stadium or at home watching the game, it just gives me a horrible feeling. I understand there are many factors that go into something like that happening. Such as the Redskins being piss poor forever now. Or for Redskins ticket office folks selling mass quantities of tickets to brokers. Or for STHs selling their tickets to try and make a buck. The thing is, this MNF game was in 2008, when we started 6-2. We had a lot going for us and we were made a mockery on national TV. How does a storied franchise like the Washington Redskins let this happen? I don’t know the answer, but I know how we can repay and get even.

We may not be able to create the same presence that Pittsburgh did in 2008, but we can make our presence known. Let’s face it, we don’t have a large fan base in Pittsburgh. People born and raised in Pittsburgh, don’t become Redskins fans, and no one in their right mind is going to up and move from DC to the Steel city unless forced to. We do though, have a decent following in parts of Pennsylvania and we’re close enough to make this trip from DC. Anyway, you get my drift. We may not be able to put 20,000 or even 10,000 fans in Heinz field, but we will Invade.

I’m going to ONE away game next year and it’s going to be Pittsburgh… Who’s with me?

P.S. I know this is a year away and premature, but it’s been on my mind… Happy Thanksgiving! HTTR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure we could have asked for a better weekend to travel to Pittsburgh... Should be a great Fall afternoon in a great football town. But lets turn that Black and Yellow into some Burgundy and Gold!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all...

I have a Group Contract for Comfort Inn & Suites in Pittsburgh. The hotel is about 5 miles south of Heinz Field, just outside of the city. I opted for this place instead of staying in downtown where the hotels are 2x-3x the cost. The group is under my name, Gregory Peck

Currently there are 15 rooms being held for Saturday night October 27th, so please give them a call to book your room and let me know if you do. If we need more rooms, which hopefully we do, I'll grab more. If anyone wants to stay downtown, feel free to find a place and try to get a group rate for others to book with you. Let me know and I'll post it here.

Also, If you want to stay Sunday night after the game, I'm sure that is an option at the same price, but I will confirm.

Pittsburgh Inn & Suites (formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)

2898 Banksville Rd.

Pittsburgh, PA 15216

(412) 343-3000

(412) 563-8870

Rates:

2 Doubles - $93.49 (2 people) + $5 per add. person (10 rooms held)

King - $84.99 (2 people) (5 rooms held)

HAIL

Great idea! First off for Skins fans looking for a quick roadie, Pittsburgh is perfect. As much ill as you can say about Daniel Snyder, if he were to get involved with this it would have the potential to be huge. I work in corporate for a big hotel chain, so if this ever comes to fruition let me know if I can help with group blocks at Pittsburgh hotels or something.

The bittersweet part of that game at FedEx was that the Steelers take over every stadium they visit. So while the Redskins aren't alone, it also shows the reach of their fan base and their marketing arm. I've talked to fans from various other teams and they all say the same thing about the Steelers and their fans. Having said that, I think that as is the case with most cities/teams/fan bases, very few of the Steelers' fans from Pittsburgh actually travel to road games. Most of those Steeler fans in 2008 were people that live in the DC area who are originally from Pittsburgh, or who are just Steeler fans.

Steelers fans, also, are worse then Cowboys fans... they are the biggest 'bandwagon' fan base I've ever seen. Look at how many Super Bowls they have won, they are as bad as Yankee fans. People all of the sudden choose to be Steelers fans, most weren't born in to it, sadly

In my personal, humble, opinion...these need to be set up way in advance and this would be absolutely amazing. I love going to away games and seeing my team's colors all over the stadium. This could be successful, and a year in advance, people can save $ to go. I would LOVE this.

As a Phils fan - opening day in 2010 had group tickets and individuall tickets bought up right after they went on sale. This is what can't be done in Pittsburgh, but still if people are able to save up and grab from secondary markets, it would be awesome.

The burgandy towel effect would be sweet too, because along with the yellow towels - makes it look more "Redskin-esque".

Pittsburgh invades other NFL cities.

You don't invade Pittsburfg. Can't imagine too many tix being available.

You are right, there won't be a huge number. But right now, on stubhub there around about 4,000 tickets available for their last two home games... who knows how many are on ebay and have been on ebay or stubhub for the past 2 months. As well as the NFL ticket exchange... Even if you get a few thousand, the presence will be felt. Pittsburgh isn't used to anyone coming to thier home...

The reason why they invaded the stadium is that Redskins fans didn't buy enough tickets plus due to a military presence in and around DC there are many fans from various parts of the country serving in the Armed Forces there. So with the combination of poor ticket sales by Redskins fans, the Military folks and the Steelers who travel with the team it was inevitable. So until the Redskins become a good enough team to compete with Dallas, Pittsburg, New England, New Orleans, Indy (with Manning at QB) and the other top tier teams we won't have rabid fans that are willing to travel or come to the games at home to feverously support this team. So although I like the idea, I just don't see it happening to the level you described. The only way that would happen is if Dan Snyder bought a whole lot of tickets for that game and provided them to Redskins fans that are diehard supports at a package deal or gave enough of them away to make the Redskins nation presence felt.

You are right, there won't be a huge number. But right now, on stubhub there around about 4,000 tickets available for their last two home games... who knows how many are on ebay and have been on ebay or stubhub for the past 2 months. As well as the NFL ticket exchange... Even if you get a few thousand, the presence will be felt. Pittsburgh isn't used to anyone coming to thier home...

With the Redskins' luck and with how sacred the Steelers' fans are to the NFL, it would probably blow up in our faces. As you said, they're not used to people coming into their stadium; they'd probably start talking about how horrible we are as a fan base, and since people love them so much the story would gain national attention. Suddenly some news/sports organization picks up stories about how FedEx can be dangerous, and suddenly Redskin fans are worse than Eagle fans.

Pittsburgh invades other NFL cities.

You don't invade Pittsburfg. Can't imagine too many tix being available.

Definitely right. People don't really get rid of their tickets, that I have seen, here in Pittsburgh. The company I worked for previously had a corporate box and all Pittsburgh teams, and I would often get the corporate box for the Pirates, but I have never gone to the Steelers. It just does not happen. Everything about the Steelers is ingrained into people here. At almost all businesses here in Pittsburgh, they allow folks to wear Steelers jerseys to work, and all you see is black and yellow. It's crazy, though I represent...I have a Redskins mini-helmet on my desk at work and everyone knows me as a Redskin fan.

oh I understand that... but even 1,000 Skins fans waving burgundy towels will feel like a Takeover to the people of Pittsburgh

Eh...probably not.

Heinz Field is not as locked down as Three Rivers was, when most of the season ticket holders were unemployed iron workers who had inherited someone else's tickets. That place is just as corporate as anyplace else now. It's more insular than DC and there aren't as many transplants so you don't get 20 to 30 thousand opposing fans. But 5 thousand Browns fans is not unheard of.

Eh...probably not.

Heinz Field is not as locked down as Three Rivers was' date=' when most of the season ticket holders were unemployed iron workers who had inherited someone else's tickets. That place is just as corporate as anyplace else now. It's more insular than DC and there aren't as many transplants so you don't get 20 to 30 thousand opposing fans. But 5 thousand Browns fans is not unheard of.[/quote']

thats what I like to hear! If 5,000 Browns fans is not unheard of... why not 5,000 Skins fans!

Archived