Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Bionic contact lens 'to project emails before eyes'

China

Bionic contact lens 'to project emails before eyes'

A new generation of contact lenses that project images in front of the eyes is a step closer after successful animal trials, say scientists.

The technology could allow wearers to read floating texts and emails or augment their sight with computer-generated images, Terminator-syle.

Seattle's Washington University which is working on the device says early tests show it is safe and feasible.

But there are still wrinkles to iron out, like finding a good power source.

Currently, their crude prototype device can only work if it is within centimetres of the wireless battery.

_56841645_bioeyespl.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

Not really surprised. I've always figured that sort of thing was what was coming next. A HUD right in your visual range; the question is how do you control it? Voice? I wonder how long it will be before we get to direct links into the visual cortex for a "BUD"; Brain Up Display.

Video games turning into reality. We have drones and now we'll have the classic "heads up display". I just hope the options menu is well built so that I can adjust the opacity of my mini map. Any word on making it compatible with other devices so I can see the battery life on my cell phone like a health bar? Maybe track the amount of cash my budget allows me to spend weekly like ammo.

Not really surprised. I've always figured that sort of thing was what was coming next. A HUD right in your visual range; the question is how do you control it? Voice? I wonder how long it will be before we get to direct links into the visual cortex for a "BUD"; Brain Up Display.

a friend of mine is actually working on a Senior Design Project that is installing a HUD into a motorcycle helmet.

That sounds awesome. Can you say the name of the company?

No company, they're on their own for this project. As a result, unfortunately, this prototype will not have a transparent screen because the cheapest of those was in the range of $2,000, but I'm sure the concept could easily be moved to use one.

Archived