Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good character players VS quality players- Which players are more important to have on the Redskins?

brandymac27

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Do you guys think Shanahan would have drafted Sean Taylor(RIP) with his off the field issues? DUI, Armed Assault... Something tells me Shanahan would have passed on him because of his "Character" issues.

I'm all for the rebuild but I think it should be 90% talent & 10% character. If the guy's character IS affecting his play(Haynesworth) then take a pass, but if you have a player who's character does NOT affect his play(ST, VY) then it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure ST only had those issues AFTER being drafted, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but I'm not about to go looking for someone who I think "I can change him". That's not a healthy POV. I'd be with you, except that I would include "affecting his play" as those who are disciplined due to bad character because that completely STOPS them from playing.

character is great, and matters a lot...I wouldn't sell that short..but we need talent and playmakers..everyone can't be a choir boy. a mix of both is ideal obviously...but I'd rather have over achievers with a good work ethic, than a talent that doesn't care ie a haynesworth.

It's a sliding scale based on how poor the player's character is, how talented the player is, and how strong the organization is.

Randy Moss seems like a great example of what I mean by strength of organization. He was a disaster in Oakland, due mostly to his low character. However, he had a season for the ages in New England, due mostly to his otherworldly talent. The difference being that the Patriots were a strong enough organization to hide his character problems, at least for a while.

However, I think there are players like Albert Haynesworth and Roethlisberger, who I don't care what you're able to contribute on the field, I just don't want that guy on my team.

Of course there are also guys who it doesn't matter how nice they are, I also don't want them. I'll use myself as an example. By most accounts, I'm a totally cool, fun guy. I'd be great in a locker room. But I'm also 5'10", 180 lbs (mostly blubber), I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, and I probably couldn't run a 40 yard dash in under 6 seconds. You don't want me anywhere near a professional football field.

This is why teams make bad signings. Everyone knows that talent is good and being a headcase is bad. But if the two are mixed, it's difficult to determine which outweighs the other, and whether the current coaching staff and roster is able to withstand a headcase in their locker room. You would have to be extremely risk averse to take the position, "I don't want anyone with any character concerns on my team." And given the amount of money NFL owners have made in their lifetime, none of them are extremely risk averse.

Ndamukong Suh is a guy right now that I don't know what to make of. He has serious character concerns. He's also a serious talent. Imagine he was a free agent this offseason (he's not). Would you take a risk on that guy? My opinion is, as the Redskins, no I wouldn't. But if I were the Packers I would. But I might be making the wrong decision on either side. The Redskins might benefit from having that guy, and maybe when removed from Jim Scwartz' misguided attempt to make the team tougher by being a hothead, Suh is no longer a problem. Or maybe Suh is another Haynesworth, in which case no team should be interested.

Archived