Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Think Hard - What does Joe Gibbs do so differently?

ThePreciating

Why is it that Gibbs is the only one who has found a way to win here? He took pretty terrible teams to the playoffs twice, and found a way to win a playoff game with maybe a buck fifty in total offense.

I thought he was a little washed up at the time. Now, I think about how Sean Taylor was killed, and how our team followed it up with an emotional loss, then found a way to rattle off five straight wins to make the playoffs. Can you see the team doing that under Shanahan?

What's so different about Gibbs than Shanahan or Turner or Schottenheimer or any of the other big name coaches who can't seem to get it done here?

I know we can't relive the past, but isn't there some lesson Gibbs can teach our current staff about what motivates this team?

I was hoping to open this up and hear everyone's opinions on why Gibbs can find success here even with bad teams where no other coach seems to be able to. Do you blame Snyder? Is Gibbs just THAT special? Elaborate.

Hire stud defensive coordinators? Otherwise, his offense stalled and arguably that regime mortgaged our future with all those trades and expensive signings, many of which didn't work out. He had two bad seasons, and two decent seasons -- they were below 500 in his tenure. Love Gibbs but don't see his 2nd tenure as a model to strive for here.

Gibbs was incredibly patient for a NFL head coach. There's the carrot method and the stick method, and Gibbs leaned more towards the carrot, for motivational effect. Shanahan relies more on the stick, and is a perfectionist. Jake Plummer always said whatever he did for Shanahan, it was never good enough. Shanahan's approach is like Coughlin's, or Holmgren's - an explosive temper, and he doesn't suffer fools gladly. That approach can work in the NFL and it's won Super Bowls, so I'm not judging it. It's just... different.

Still, I firmly believe that NFL success is based more on X's and O's, matchups, player talent, and game-planning than the motivational stuff, but sometimes it can really have an impact. Look at S.F. this season.

pez i think you may be right...

i almost think maybe it really does have something to do with being religious. i see tebow's success over in denver and have to wonder if they're related. i'm not saying god is coming down from the heavens and helping gibbs and tebow, but maybe being that religious just instills a different drive in you that you can't get otherwise.

I truly believe that Gibbs has some sort of unique personality that inspires his players to want to play as hard as they can for him as opposed to just playing for themselves...

Portis said that Gibbs made his players feel like men. He sounded as if disappointing Gibbs would be like letting your dad down when he needs you.

Gibbs had his own system, he fit in players to fit his system, not the other way around.

Kinda sounds like Mike Shanahan doesn't it?

Clearly you haven't heard the story of how the great Joe Gibbs changed his entire offensive philosophy in 1982 and apparently completely forgot his Air Coryell roots...

Gibbs had a decent team when he was here. A productive Portis, Moss and Cooley in their primes, healthy Jansen and Samuels, Brunell wasn't terrible yet. Defense was very good.

Shanny is rebuilding from absolute zero and has suffered through an insane amount of injuries this year.

We're fine, folks. Don't forget Gibbs also had 2 losing seasons out of 4.

i don't know. it sure looked like our guys "fought their guts out" for shanahan on sunday.

i think shanahan is a competent coach. he is capable of fielding a competitive team. i just wish i saw or felt some of the gibbs magic.

if gibbs were coaching this team, i'd be looking at scenarios of how we could still make the playoffs. i just know it's not happening this year, not without gibbs at the helm.

there's not many coaches out there I consider coaching genius' but Gibbs wuz def one of'em. So wuz Parcells, Landry, Shula.....................

what's wuz? like fuzzy wuzzy was a bear?

but seriously, i agree. being a coaching genius goes beyond play-calling. being a leader of men is no easy task, and gibbs is the best i've ever seen at it. imagine if gibbs had the patriots front office with multiple first round picks every year.

Not fair to lump Schottenheimer into the list. He was given one season .

Schottenheimer never got the second season to see if he could build upon the groundwork done in 2001.

As for Gibbs, I don't think there is anything special going on. He was a great coach but no longer is. That was proven in 2.0. People can tout 2 playoffs in 4 years relative to the dreck that we've seen here in DC but in terms of the rest of the NFL, that is not a particularly impressive feat.

It's like a starving person fawning over a slice of apple while others around him are enjoying pizza.

What Gibbs continued to have was that he was a strong leader. That doesn't go away and he still had it. He also did a good job associating himself with a strong defensive coordinator again like he had the first time around. But that was it. His coaching and certainly his front office skills were as lacking as anyone else we've had.

Stop settling for, or worse, glorifying 31-34

He took pretty terrible teams to the playoffs twice, and found a way to win a playoff game with maybe a buck fifty in total offense.

Those weren't terrible teams. They weren't championship teams but they were playoff rosters. We had a top 10 defense year in and year our matched with one of the best running backs in the game and an excellent run blocking offensive line. Moss and Cooley were still in their primes and we had a game manager at QB. That is a recipe for a wild card team, which we were.

Clearly you haven't heard the story of how the great Joe Gibbs changed his entire offensive philosophy in 1982 and apparently completely forgot his Air Coryell roots...

I was not clear in my previous post...

Gibbs 2.0 was different, he took a fast cut back runner in CP and made him into a downhill RB.

Chris Cooley was a standout receiver at Utah State, Gibbs drafted him and turned him into a hybrid player, or h-back as we all know.

Stop settling for, or worse, glorifying 31-34

Damn right I'm glorifying it. In an insanely tough division, he took a team with an aging vet QB and a rebuilt offensive line, rallied it after having its best player MURDERED mideason (unheard of in the NFL) and took it to the playoffs.

31-34 is the equivalent of about 50 - 15 when you consider the adversity this team faced. Gibbs deserves plenty of praise for his second stint. I agree, trading away draft picks sucks, but we had a legitimate chance to make a playoff run, and we took it. I don't fault him for that at all.

Archived