Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES CB/Safety Discussion--Redskins v Cowboys

Jumbo

I'm finally off of the Dhall bandwagon. That completion to Bryant was inexcusable. He seems to slip once or twice in crucial situations every game. And he seems to be out of position more often than not in these situation. And why is he always being victimized by Romo sits to pee, Witten, and Bryant? Remember the first game in Dallas? 3rd and forever, and he gives up a 20+ completion to Bryant?

Call me a hater but this is my opinion.

After weeks seeing our Secondary work I always thinks this on game day.

D Hall slip very often, for me he's tryin to have an excuse.

When the play doesn't go to his man or his zone, he doesn't slip for obvious reasons, but the coverage needs the 100% strength to step aside or in front the WR.

Ball goes for his man or zone he slips, if not, he's chasing 4 yards the WR after the first down.

And if we add that the ball goes or doesn't goes for his man or zone before the throw, he's getting abused physcally by the WR.

Plus, his lame 8 yard cushion.

He's getting paid a lot of millions to play at least with respect at him self.

I do prefer a rookie CB getting burned and decimated but at least he's playing for the future.

Rather than this we have a CB that thinks he wears the uniform with the star, believing every single snap he will make the top play of the week highlights, and the only thing he get is embaressment.

I respect every single player of this game and more if he wears B&G, but D Hall is doing his thing over the toilet.

At my 20's I played CB, later FS and believe me, I played for the love of this game and when I see D Hall failing on his coverage or slipin' I remember the hundreds of push outs and the two times I eat the bench, I sliped because the grass or the Nikes but mostly because the bad coverage/angles I choose to confront the WR.

He needs to shut down my mouth, and I hope he does.

Not even sure how Hall can be blamed for the 3rd and 15 play. Even if he was there, step for step, Bryant would've had a lane to the outside. This isn't Madden where you can run crazy routes and have a computer shadow the receiver.

There were three things wrong with that play...An ineffective blitz...and an ineffective blitz where our safeties were showing blitz on the line (and then didn't). Instead of Atogwe being in position to help stop that play, he had to hustle from the snap just to get in an underneath coverage on the inside of Bryant.

Third and most importantly, there is an absolute lack on containment on the edge (won't mention names). Why not send a blitz from the outside in that situation??? Our blitzes up the middle do not work...

The only thing that D-Hall is good at is running his mouth. Seemed that every big 3rd down they were targeting him, and when he lost the matchup, he would run his mouth. The only difference between Hall and Wilson is that Wilson doesnt talk as much trash. I think we're gonna have to get at least 2 staring caliber cb's in next year.

Quick thoughts:

- Atogwe played his worst game as a Skin. It wasn't atrocious but I was disappointed.

- Gomes played well from what I saw.

- I still like Wilson. If he was as big as Carlos Rogers he'd be better than Carlos Rogers. As it is, he's always where he's supposed to be. He just doesn't match up well with bigger receivers and has yet to catch one himself. I'm sure it'll come.

- I don't like this version of Hall that doesn't jump passing lanes. He gets blamed for a lot of stuff that's not really his fault (usually because the QB has all day to throw) but if he's not playing the ball aggressively he's really not much of an asset as a starting CB.

- Barnes needs to be a full-time safety. He just doesn't seem to be agile enough to keep up with most receivers.

If Me Angelo had half the talent he thinks he does, he would still be a practice squad player on any other NFL team.

I know you guys just moved past this... but I still want to take a stab at the literal meaning of this sentence. :ols:

If Hall had half the talent he thinks he does he would be a practice squad player on any other NFL team. Hall has never been a practice squad player on any other NFL team, though, so clearly he has more than half of the talent that he thinks he has. However, the common perception is that Hall vastly overrates his own ability. Ergo, you could show Hall's talent (represented by x) as follows: .5x < Hall's self-perceived talent < x

Cover corner > a few highlight plays. We gave the wrong corner a big contract, but what is done is done. Learn from it. We lack a good cover corner and need one. There is no excuse for the way these corners are playing when you consider the pressure the front 7 get. Hall doesn't have to go but he has to be #2 or slot.

With so many holes it's going to be expensive, in so many ways, to fix this.

I know you guys just moved past this... but I still want to take a stab at the literal meaning of this sentence. :ols:

If Hall had half the talent he thinks he does he would be a practice squad player on any other NFL team. Hall has never been a practice squad player on any other NFL team, though, so clearly he has more than half of the talent that he thinks he has. However, the common perception is that Hall vastly overrates his own ability. Ergo, you could show Hall's talent (represented by x) as follows: .5x < Hall's self-perceived talent < x

What he said.... :)

What gets me is, Hall is a much better player than what he's showing on the field each week.

I'm not defending the guy, but he has talent, but somewhere along the line he's lost his "purpose and theory" on how to play his position.

He's only looking for the big play, the interception, not looking to play the position. He wants the glamour so he baits the qb by playing way off the receivers, and is getting juked on moves and getting lost on the field by locking on the qb at times instead of playing his receiver.

But I am curious as to how much of this is on the defensive set-up compared to him personally? Yes, the Witten catch seemed to be out of his coverage area, but I could be wrong, but it seemed he got caught looking at Romo sits to pee instead of his area; but the play itself was a broken play and a broken coverage, so does this one land on Hall only?

BTW, I am warming up to Wilson and Riley; both seem to be steadily improving, I just hope they don't catch what Hall has, "Me-me-itis"...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2011/nov/20/deangelo-hall-i-would-cut-myself/

Q: How surprised are you that at this stage of this season you’re at this point?

A: “It’s frustrating, but I can’t point a finger at anybody but myself. The way I’m playing right now, they need to go cut me because I’m definitely not worth what I’m getting. It’s frustrating. Hopefully they see something in me and they bring me back next year, but the way things are going right now, I’m definitely not playing up to par.”

Q: Do you feel like you struggled throughout the game?

A: "I feel like I had a good game up until that point, but when you’re paying a guy the kind of money I’m making, you expect him to make that play. Two times in a row – I would cut myself if I was in the front office."

Time for Hall to catch the first bus out of town. The guy is constanly beat, will not come up and challenge a ball carrier and is completely overrated. CB is definitely a need position in the draft next year. We should have kept Carlos, bad hands and all, and let Hall go.

And replace him with who exactly? We need three. He's here and paid. We need to add not subtract at this point. Every situation can be made worse

Hall is the biggest failure of the day. Every big play that went against us he seemed involved with. Heck, Romo sits to pee went away from Byron Westbrook to target Hall. This year, he just seems to lose his man over and over. Frustrating.

I know the suck fors are happy, but this kills me.

To see Westbrook actually look better is ridiculous. The pass he threw when Westbrook was on Bryant got broken up. Maybe Westbrook should be given more of a chance.

What do you all think if Hall was moved to safety? He has improved his tackling and tackled well today if it was the only thing he did right. He might make a good....wait WTF am I saying. This guy will allow someone to get behind the defense every play!

Hall can be a good #2 corner, but he is over matched against other teams #1 receivers, I also have to wonder about the development process, can someone please explain to me how Carlos Rodgers can leave here and all the sudden play like one of the better corners in the league, he already has 5 picks and he is playing the best football of his career?

I have played on the corner: although not at NFL level of course; but the thing is a corner is nearly always one on one. The Corner Back is a lonely position, sometimes ya get burned and sometimes ya dont.

A good pass rush is the corners best friend as this doesnt allow the deep field plays to unfold, as the qb is being rushed/sacked etc.

Don't go blaming the corners all the time. I didn't see todays game (in aussie time i was sleeping): however, the one thing we need is patience.

Patience from the fans to endure the hard times as the team remodels itself into a new defencive playbook. Patience for the players to get use to the new system and to get use to each other and to the new system.

Y'all should just take a chill pill and stop the knee jerk reactions. This team isnt going anywhere till next season when the Offence can keep the Defence off the field, then the line backers, corners, safetys and defensive linemen can rest up a bit and be better off for that. i can see some great improvement in this franchise both on and off the field: the winds of change are coming: just wait, its not that long away and the skins will be better off for it and the changes next april

HTTR

I don't think we can afford to address Corner this offseason. This is the madness Carlos alluded to in his Fox Sports article last week. We paid the wrong guy instead of taking care of our own homegrown prospect with more upside.

Its water under the bridge now but the last thing we need to do is pick a CB when we have more pressing needs all over the place. With that said, why did we bring OJ here?

Archived