Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Johnny Jolly gets 6-year prison term. UPDATE: Jolly out on Shock Probation

PokerPacker

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7246845/green-bay-packers-johnny-jolly-sentenced-6-years-prison

OTL - Johnny Jolly, ATale Of Addiction

Suspended Packers DE Johnny Jolly spoke with Outside the Lines' reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada just a few weeks before he was sentenced to prison for six years.Tags: Johnny Jolly Interview, OTL, OutisdeThe Lines, Coedine, Purple Drank, Mark Fainaru-Wada

HOUSTON -- Suspended Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly was sentenced to six years in prison Thursday for violating the terms of his probation for a drug conviction.

State District Judge Denise Bradley imposed the sentence despite tearful pleas from Jolly and his mother, Phyllis Jolly, to allow the 6-foot-3, 325-pound lineman to be treated for his addiction to codeine instead of going to prison. Jolly's aunt, agent and drug counselor also testified on his behalf.

Jolly

"I want to go to rehab to get help," Jolly told the judge as he wiped away tears with a tissue.

click link for more

As dumb as he was for continuing to use after getting caught and put on probation, 6 years of prison time is draconian for using a drug.

He'll be out in less than 4. The real punishment is that the judge ended his career. There could still be some legal machinations to get that reduced.

Bottom line is the guy needs to either get himself straightened out or just mainline some Drano and get it over with.

supposedly he's turned a big corner and is finally trying to get it fixed as opposed to going through the motions of rehab without buying in or believing he has a problem.

As for the ending his career part, Goodell may have a part in that, too. After that year-long suspension, he applied to be reinstated into the NFL but never was given the chance. Aaron Rodgers had this to say on the subject a month or so ago:

I’ve been in touch with him off and on the last couple years. It’s just disappointing. And I’ll be honest, I think the league deserves some of the blame in this case. When you look at some of the other guys that have been reinstated in the league after jail sentences, and justly, rightly so, Johnny didn’t serve any days in prison, sat out for a year and still couldn’t get his case heard, from what I was told. I just think that that’s wrong.

I think the commissioner’s done a great job of cleaning up some of the stuff in the league. That said, if you take a guy away from his support system … I don’t think that’s helping.

Without the structure of football, he had nothing left but his addiction. I think it would be nice at the very least to allow guys in this kind of situation to work out with the team on the Practice Squad or something like that, because Football is what they live for, and if you take that away from them, you're taking away everything they care about, removing them from a support system of people who care about them, and removing them from the structured NFL life that may be able to keep them out of trouble.

sometimes i feel our justice system has the penalty for crimes all screwed up. this dude is addicted to codeine, how is 6 years in prison going to help him? its not like he's a harm to the general public.

What? You don't know? Prison is the BEST treatment for addiction. You got to sit and rot in prison, while your life completely crumbles around you, you lose everything and the felony on your record haunts you for the rest of your life and prevents you from moving on. Who the hell would wantt to get high after that?

---------- Post added November-18th-2011 at 12:16 AM ----------

six years for this? That is flat out ridiculous. Some private prison must have an empty room to fill.

Hey empty beds don't make money. You gotta fill it up with someone.

something doesnt make sense...

1) kill someone will driving somewhat under the influence (Stallworth)... 30 days in jail

2) run/fund a massive dog fighting operation that involves eletrocuting animals (Vick)... 2 years in jail

3) shoot self in leg in public (Burress) .. 2 years in jail

4) drink some codine, get caught and do it again (this guy) 6 years in jail

WTF....

Do serial killers get community service? Maybe Sandusky gets a slap on the wrist.. while some guy with a bag of weed does 15?

To be fair to Stallworth, his case isn't a cut and dry DUI manslaughter. IIRC the victim had no business being on the road where he was, Stallworth wasn't really speeding, and he wasn't ****faced. Slightly over the legal limit at the time. Leonard Little is probably a better example. And your point absolutely still stands.

I've been down the same road he has before except with a much more powerful opiate. It's easy for someone who has never experienced an addiction as powerful as an opiate addiction to say that it's his own fault and good riddance to him. When your life starts going downhill and you have no one to lean on and nothing to be happy about, the opiates seem to be the only thing there for you and the only thing that'll make you happy. It's so damn easy for people to say just stop but it's NOT that simple. This man needs to be in a great rehab facility and have his family to support him. Prison is only going to make it worse for him.

• 5 months later...
To be fair to Stallworth, his case isn't a cut and dry DUI manslaughter. IIRC the victim had no business being on the road where he was, Stallworth wasn't really speeding, and he wasn't ****faced. Slightly over the legal limit at the time. Leonard Little is probably a better example. And your point absolutely still stands.

I was going to say something along the same lines . The Stallworth incident was an accident that could have happened to anyone . It was the morning after he had been out drinking, he went out to a party got drunk, came home in a cab then went to bed got up in the morning went about his morning routine (who has not done the same) and then went out in his car to do some errands . The guy he hit was just trying to do the same thing ... he was crossing the road (not on a crossing) and Stallworth did not see him But when he did hit him he stayed with him, never used the "i am an NFL star" to get out of trouble and he did not take the trial to court (although he would most probably been acquitted ) to avoid putting the mans family in the media spot light . Stallworth has never gone around talking about this but his team mates always talk about how affected he has been by this ...

Jolly may have turned his life around but Stallworths accident cannot be compared to Vick or Jolly who has been arrested on numerous occasions for possession and intent to supply a controlled substance, driving while inebriated, possession and driving while suspended . The fact he did not kills someone is good fortune rather than good judgement . Jolly has had his chances to change his life and i hope for him he has but dont compare him to Stallworth ... to do so is ignorant .

Prison does nothing but make a criminal a better criminal. And this case, imho, is not criminal. It was codeine...he needs help to get sober and right again, not a prison term. Thanks, StevefromYellowstone, for your perspective. Sorry you had to go through it, and I hope all is well now. I agree...prison won't help, it will only hurt him in the long run.

Hail.

I think what several posters may be over-looking here is that a lot of the emotion being stirred up in this thread about this case is being driven by a piece that created to tell Jolly's story and make viewers/readers as sympathetic as possible to his "plight". Let's not forget that this is not his first offense, and that he admittedly didn't take the charges and the mandatory rehab seriously the first time around. Why would/should a judge believe he would this time?

People who are listing other athletes and their offenses and stating they had much shorter prison terms or less harsh punishments must remember that for most of those folks it was their first offense, and most got punished more harshly the first time than Jolly did his first time. He was given a chance to stay out of prison but decided to ignore the help that was provided for him the first time and continued to break the law. Such defiance is generally not tolerated and the punishment is usually more severe. When it is all said and done, there is no one to blame other than Jolly for this situation.

Archived