Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barkley or Jones? You decide...

RakAttack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

probably any qb coming out of the draft this year will be better than what we currently have.

i have it rated luck, barkley, rg3, tannehill, jones, weeden currently, but i wouldnt be disappointed with any of them at the right price.

why exactly is this? i keep hearing it from OU fans.

for some reason Jones rubs me the wrong way. ive only seen a couple of his games, but im just not sold yet, im feeling a highly touted college qb that busts in the NFL.

Landry is a good guy first of all. Everyone here likes him. He won't be a knucklehead or have work ethic issues, that is for sure.

But I believe his negatives outweight positives:

PROS

--Good size

--Strong arm

--High character

Cons

--Does not move well at all and plays on a team where his pocket is always clean. Under pressure, struggles badly

--Questionable decision-making...there has been some improvement in this area, but still shaky at times

--The big one is probably "it" factor/field vision. Doesn't always seem natural. Very locked in to system

--While he has high character, he is very soft-spoken, very quiet, which often rubs people the wrong way at that position.

I've been harping on this in various threads for months and I hate to come off as a "Landry hater" because he has done very good things for OU and is a good guy and good rep for the school. But there is no comparison to him and Bradford...I just don't see Landry as a highly successful NFL QB. I do think he can be serviceable and in the right situation win some games. But that's not really what we are looking for.

Weeden is the guy I want....I am also high on Barkley.

Griffin is a more athletic campbell, no thank you. The kid will struggle in the nfl.

That is a laughable comparison. Campbell was a guy who when handed the keys of a top performance car in college did well. Griffin is pretty much driving a POS that he has dragged kicking and screaming to bowl eligibility two consecutive years for first time in about 20 years. In 2009, all indications are that that team would have gone to a bowl if he'd not been injured.

Not a big fan of RG3. Good in college but I don't think he will transition to the NFL real well. Probably should be drafted as a kick returner or receiver since he is more elusive and still has the ability to throw for some gimick plays

Given that he has already shown that he has the most important quality that it takes for a QB to transition to the NFL, why do you think that?

Griffin is a more athletic campbell, no thank you. The kid will struggle in the nfl.

Please explain this ridiculous comment.

Griffin has the best deep accuracy in this draft . Campbell couldn't hit a deep throw to save his life.

Griffin has played on a garbage team and somehow puts up huge numbers while making them relevant (and would be in the conversation for the Heisman if his team won more). Campbell had one of the best college teams of the last 10 years around him and was decidedly mediocre to good. No Heisman talk despite going undefeated.

Griffin is probably as intelligent as Andrew Luck (both on and off the field), while Campbell (though I liked him as a person) seemed to lack awareness a lot of the time on the field.

I'd really like to see the comparison. I honestly don't see a single thing they have in common.

imo one of these QBs will be available at 10, if we end up with number 2 or 3 we should trade back to 9, 10, or 11 and pick up a 2nd, and pick whichever QB falls to that spot.

There is no way all of luck, RG3, Tannehill, Barkley, and Jones will be picked in the top 15.

Not with Claiborne, Blackmon, Jeffery, Kalil, Richardson, Coples, Martin, I honestly don't see any of those guys falling outside the top 12.

I think this upcoming rookie QB class LOOKS pretty good right now. I also think how we're playing right now, Luck isn't out of the question, and its not safe bet the Colts take him. If we have the #2 pick and want to flip up one, you don't offer the world for that pick because of how deep the class is. I don't think the draft value chart would really apply in this situation. What's the difference between pick #1 and #2? 500 points? That's not worth or 2nd or 3rd rounder pick just to move down one if they don't want to take a QB.

I'd offer D Hall, our extra 4th rounder, the #2 overall pick and roll from there.

imo one of these QBs will be available at 10, if we end up with number 2 or 3 we should trade back to 9, 10, or 11 and pick up a 2nd, and pick whichever QB falls to that spot.

You do that if you grade out all of those QBs equally... but no one will give all of those guys an equal grade. If Luck is off the board and you like the next two guys without a strong preference towards either you can consider trading back 2 or 3 spots but that's the absolute farthest you should go. You have to ensure that you get your guy.

I think this upcoming rookie QB class LOOKS pretty good right now. I also think how we're playing right now, Luck isn't out of the question, and its not safe bet the Colts take him. If we have the #2 pick and want to flip up one, you don't offer the world for that pick because of how deep the class is. I don't think the draft value chart would really apply in this situation. What's the difference between pick #1 and #2? 500 points? That's not worth or 2nd or 3rd rounder pick just to move down one if they don't want to take a QB.

I'd offer D Hall, our extra 4th rounder, the #2 overall pick and roll from there.

That presumes we are the main offer. If I were the Colts and wanted to trade down, I'd seek out someone lower in the draft and get that block buster deal. Like Cleveland's deal with Atlanta but better than that. I'd talk to Cleveland about their 2 first rounders for starters

I'll go Barkley.

Just something about Landry Jones. For one, he's not mobile. And by mobile, I don't mean he's not Michael Vick or even Jay Cutler or Aaron Rodgers. I mean in every thing I've ever watched, he's a silo in the pocket. He stands tall, and his size is impressive. He's got a good arm. But he's not great against the rush. When pressure comes, I never see him step up, slide, move around in the pocket or anything. He's like Ryan Mallett that way; it's not that he's a bad prospect, exactly, but he's got concrete feet. In the NFL, you have to have the ability to get out of the pocket or step up into a pocket that's breaking down. Mobility isn't about running for a bunch of yards, but being able to make those subtle movements in the pocket and occasionally shrug off the rush. Especially behind our line. I don't see this on a consistent basis from Jones. He's also not great at throwing on the run. He'll probably end up being a dependable guy, ish, for some team, but I don't know if he's going to be that guy here.

The only question I have with Barkley is his size, but the upside is that I don't see him getting a lot of balls swatted down at the line. By comparison, Ryan Tannehill is 6'4", and I like him, but it drives me NUTS that a guy his size has so many batted balls. Barkley's got a nice release, good mobility in the pocket; he's not going to run for a ton of first downs, but he's got just enough wheels to make plays when needed. He's got good footwork, too, and USC runs an offense that does a lot of what we do; zone stretch run, rhythm passes and play action bootlegs.

He's also a ****y motherfrakker, but I like my quarterbacks to have a certain level of confidence.

Between those guys, I pick Barkley. I wouldn't hate Jones, but I would worry that he'd get beat up a lot without some escapablity.

Also, the worst thing about college football is all the friggin' screen passes...

You do that if you grade out all of those QBs equally... but no one will give all of those guys an equal grade. If Luck is off the board and you like the next two guys without a strong preference towards either you can consider trading back 2 or 3 spots but that's the absolute farthest you should go. You have to ensure that you get your guy.

wouldn't bother me if we didn't get "out guy" I am probably one of a very few that wouldn't mind if we didn't take a QB in round 1.

I wouldn't mind if we did but if we didn't wouldn't mind it either. A lot of you would be downright angry if we don't draft a QB round 1, which I find a little comical. The only way I would be actually angry is if we went OLB/DE/WR/RB in the first.

Between the two, I'd have to say Jones. IMO, he has the better looking resume for an NFL QB.

Oklahoma has been head and shoulders above USC in the talent dept. the last few years. Barkley has the better mechanics, more mobility, strong arm and a very good deep ball, and less talent to work with. He would fit right into Kyle's offense seeing as how Kiffin runs a similar offense out there @ USC. Also Landry Jones is a terrible decision maker.

Barkley all the way. I'd take him before Luck as well.

Archived